Do you want iScore on another device?

We will announce new product updates here along with what features are being included in the updates

What other device should iScore run on?

None. The iPhone / iPod Touch is all I need.
38%
Blackberry Storm2
6%
Palm Pre
3%
Android OS (Motorola Droid, HTC Hero, MyTouch)
39%
Windows Mobile (HTC Touch Pro, HTC Pure)
5%
Other (Please specify in a post)
10%

Total votes: 145
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Do you want iScore on another device?

Post by FTMSupport » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:37 pm

We get requests for other devices more and more often. We currently only support iPhone / iPod Touch, but we may support other devices in the future if there is enough demand.

One thing that makes it very difficult to support other platforms is that there is not a single device on the other platforms. For example, Blackberry has tons of phones, and we can't just support all of them (screen sizes are different, etc).

One really nice feature with supporting Apple is that people can buy the iPod Touch, and still use any phone they would like. The Apple line (iPhone / iPod Touch) also only has one SDK / screen size to support.

In trying to come up with a poll, it is very hard to even narrow down the devices as just saying "Blackberry" or "Android" would not be specific enough.

If you select "Other", please specify in a post which specific device you would like to see supported.
GOGYROSWIN

Re: Do you want iScore on another device?

Post by GOGYROSWIN » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:41 am

With the rumored iPhone for Verizon, they have stated that it will indeed have a smaller screen size. Why in the heck would they downsize from the original? Of course, this is all a rumor at this point.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:20 am

We have seen the report of a smaller physical screen for the Verizon iPhone, but we would assume the pixel dimensions (320x480) would remain the same, it would just be smaller. Otherwise the vast majority of the > 100,000 applications (which Apple is bragging about constantly) would likely not work correctly (they would be cut off in some direction).

Our guess is that Apple would still oppose this idea if at all possible because they have their "Human Interface Guidelines" that define how big certain things are supposed to be for them to be clickable by a typical finger, and a change in the screen dimensions would mean a change to their guidelines.

Regardless, we are sure many people will be happy to see the iPhone available on Verizon, and we are confident Apple will do it in a compatible way and not break their existing applications on the new device --- they have put way too much effort into creating a standardized platform.
07outback

Post by 07outback » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:26 pm

It is a real shame that you are not looking at supporting platforms across thw entire spectrum. I can understand the effort invilved in making the sofatware compatible with each phone, but their are many people that use certain phones for certain reasons. And there are those do not know about your software that are extremely interested in it.

I truly enjoy my Blackberry Storm 2, and will never switch to the iPhone even when it comes to Verizon. So becasue of this I will be penalized by your company becasue you will not develop iScore for Baseball for the Storm 2. I coach in a little league where there are a great deal of professionals that use Blackberries that have no idea that an app like iScore even exists. If you were to develop the app for the Storm 2, and blackberry users that understand the intricacies of the Storm 2 as being more than a phone, that it is a mini computer I am sure that there would be many more users of your software than the poll that you are taking would acquire the software to track their kids baseball team.

Once you take the time to develop the software for the Storm 2 platform those that acquire it and talk about it will spread the word of how good the software actually is. People will not buy a secandary device for one application, especially in the economy that we are in today,but they would defiinitely spend the money for an application that they can use for their children that are into playing baseball.

And if you will not develop your awesome application for the platform then I am sure that there will be some else who will, and take that market segment from you; as that is the society that we live in, a free market society. When you have a product as great as iScore I am sure that you wantto tryto maintain your presence and marketshare as much as possible and keep the competitiion out; wouldn't you agree?
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:41 pm

We would love to support all devices, but the math is pretty simple right now. The iPhone / iPod Touch combination has about 40 million devices. The best numbers we could find on the Blackberry Storm (and Storm 2) are about 2 million.

As of right now, it seems there is more demand coming for the Android line than for the Blackberry Storm devices. If you have a link that shows different #'s than what we have found, we would love to see it.

Thank you.
07outback

Post by 07outback » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:47 am

Please take the time to read the following forum threads to see that there is interest in iScore Baseball for Blackberry:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/baseb ... pp-183975/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/softb ... ap-156993/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.blackberryforums.com/afterma ... tware.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope that this helps you see that there are other people that are interested in your app for Blackberries other than the 3 that have voted on your poll.
07outback

Post by 07outback » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:34 am

I understand the need to be selective in developing applications. Today I read an active from Autoweek (http://www.autoweek.com/article/2010010 ... /100109975" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

"GM's OnStar telematics unit has developed a downloadable application that will let Chevrolet Volt drivers use a Blackberry Storm, Apple iPhone or Motorola Droid to remotely control and monitor some vehicle functions, such as charging. OnStar is considering expanding some smartphone applications to other GM vehicles."

Obviously GM and OnStar see the benefit of developing software for all three platforms by saying hey you do not have to be only an iPhone owner to remotely control your vehicle.

FTM has a wonderful app in iScore! It is just a shame that iScore is limited to one platform by not reaching out to all of those that could benefit from it being on other platforms like GM is proposing without forcing the consumer to acquire another device or switch providers in order to acquire this fan-tastic app.
jcbeckman

Post by jcbeckman » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:41 am

I'd wager GM has a few more programmers than FTM (if GM even did this app - probably outsourced it). And for GM, this app is a marketing tool to help the Volt, not a product in itself that has to make a profit.
07outback

Post by 07outback » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:51 am

jcbeckman wrote:I'd wager GM has a few more programmers than FTM (if GM even did this app - probably outsourced it). And for GM, this app is a marketing tool to help the Volt, not a product in itself that has to make a profit.

I can fully agree with what you are saying. I believe a profit can be made by also supporting the Balckberry Storms as well as the Android platform in addition to the Apple platform.

I am a diehard baseball fan that coaches my son's little league team. I own a Blackberry Storm2, and many of the parents within our league also own Storms and Blackberries, and do not own iPhones or iPod Touches. iScore is the ideal app regardless for baseball box scoring. But many people are not in a position in todays economy to invest in owning multiple devices for just one app or just plain out cannot afford the 2nd device. So why not dedicate some resources to spreading out the app so that these people can enjoy it as well instead of being limited in the marketplace?
idannyd

Post by idannyd » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:38 am

Yes.....wanting it for Motorola Droid...Need it before spring for my sons baseball team