11 Defensive players "aka rover" in Senior Softball (future feature request)

If you have an idea for improving the product, please post it here and we will try and prioritize updates based on the most popular requests.
ksz283exzb

11 Defensive players "aka rover" in Senior Softball (future feature request)

Post by ksz283exzb » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:50 pm

I score for several Senior Softball teams both recreational and tournament travel teams that play 11 defensive players under USSSA, SSUSA and SPA rules. I can't get accurate defensive stats as the app only allows for a max of 10. I would like to request an update to the app to allow for 11 defensive players - or - please tell me how to work around the problem. Thanks.
OhioTex

Re: 11 Defensive players in Senior Softball

Post by OhioTex » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:32 pm

Welcome to iscore and the community support forum!

Unfortunately , I have been a moderator on this forum since 2009, And this
is the first time i have heard of a reguest for 11 man defense and a major governing association that Supports that..

Where is 11th man generally placed?
What other 'variations' are common in this league?

The developers will have to put this on their list for future enhancements consideration.. I can not think of any workaround in the current program.

The best i could suggest would be to create a defensive only player with both actual players and assign as other fielder .. The defensive stats would be a combination you can manually deconstuct anv manuslly enter post game if wanted
iScore Baseball/Softball
* FAQ http://iscoresports.com//baseball/support.php
* Updated Manual http://iscoresports.com/baseball/manual.php?gd=1
* Stat Formulas http://data.iscorecentral.com/legend.ph ... internal=1
ksz283exzb

Post by ksz283exzb » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:57 pm

The outfield is generally set up with 4 fielders: Left Field (7), Left Center (8), Right Center (9) & Right Field (10). The 5th Outfielder generally plays between the outfielders and the infield. The position number for the Short Fielder is 11. A little history: USSSA actually updated their rules in 2009. And 2 of the groups allow for a 12th defensive player is certain situations where a team that is allowed to play with 11 is playing a younger or higher ranked team. Called the 'Equalization' Rule. Also, this request was first made by a member in North Carolina in March, 2013. The answer at that time was that it would be put on the 'Enhancement List'. I love this app, it does everything else that I need it to do and it certainly is a time saver. Except for this one little(actually frustrating) problem. I have shown it to the coaches and managers of the teams that I score for and they are really, really excited. I am sure more teams, leagues, scorekeepers, and tournaments would use the software if it was enhanced to include at least the 11th defensive player. If I can help in any way, please let me know. Thanks for the quick response.
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:55 am

Interesting,...interesting to learn about the 11th man rule and trend towards even a 12th man equalizer

Since it was raised before I am pretty confident the developers have on their list. They tend to do a great job on that. but from memory, As i do not recall forum chatter on the topic .. would suggest may not be high on the list, especially given the complexity of the code change to accommodate. I am confident the request list is long and not all will be filled. The developers as a policy do not disclose future enhancements,

Fyi -I have seen, Softball create some interesting variation requests and in the past the developers have had to make tuff decisions on which enhacements to prioritize or not based on their judgment, customer requests and market potential. Having a major association like usssa provide rules helps (as opposed to simply a local city league variation) but is not in and of itself the developers guiding principle. A notable example i can think of off the top of my head is usssa co ed rules, periodically I have seen requests around ways to support boy-girl-boy batting rule, but not seen that make into code,

Long story short.... Developers do have a wish list .. Lots on it..and they have to make tuff judgement calls on how to prioritize limited development time...as a moderator, I do not have insider knowledge in development for what gets prioritized or not, just what i see on this forum, but i suspect this will not be high on the list..
iScore Baseball/Softball
Matthew@1973

Post by Matthew@1973 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:13 am

I would like to say that adding this feature will go a LONG way to adding in a whole new segment of users. I have players age 18, 12, and 6. iScore is GREAT and I love using it but when you limit functionality for the younger age groups and have 12 defensive positions and 5 pitches thrown (or 3 strikes) I have a hard time getting my parents and other coaches to buy into iScore.

Then, when they get to the higher age groups, they jump on other products (which sucks) and I have hard time getting them to switch.

While I get the whole, developer time priorities, this ends up being a sales issue.
ixamnis

Post by ixamnis » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:27 am

This a social commentary comment from an enthusiastic iscore user. It's my opinion that at a certain level for young players and evidently older ones too, that stats don't need to be kept and relatives who want to follow the game should be there and not try to follow it online at home. A text between innings is probably sufficient. Just leave it a joyful game. The fact that the ap can't adequately keep stats is an indication that maybe they shouldn't be kept.

Attended my soon to be 6 year old grandson's baseball game yesterday in a large suburban metropolitan community. Wondered before getting to the game if I would see anyone using a tablet or phone to track the game. This was a 5 coach pitch limit, everybody plays and bats, no one gets out and everyone scores type of game. Happy to report no electronic scoring devices were evident. Most used electronic devices were recording action video. A good time was had by all. Sorry if that cuts into iscore's sales.
thurner

Post by thurner » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:54 am

I would like to refresh the discussion of 11 Defensive players for iScore. The USSSA World Championships in Las Vegas will be held next week. I was fortunate to be a member of a team that participated last year with over 500 teams from around the world representing more than an estimated 393,000 Americans over 55 that regularly play slow-pitch softball, according to the Sports & Fitness Industry Association. These players also have time, energy, and the money to pursue their sport. I have been bringing technology to Baseball and Softball now for over thirty years and have been asking for your app to add 11 defensive players since I started using it in its first year! Now, many years later, there still has not been a change and I still can't get people to regularly use your app in Senior Softball. At the World Masters Championships last year I could not find anybody using it. When will your "developers" bring your app into the 21st century to support this growing group of Baby Boomer Boomers? BTW: I was machine code programming in 1970, so have some sense of the effort (or lack thereof) required to bring this change. I know - "It is on the list"
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:12 am

as a refresher, I believe the request is create an "11 fielder" option in game settings .
when "11 fielders enabled" the name and position of fielder icons on the scoring page would include:
Left Field (7), Left Center (8), Right Center (9) Right Field (10). Plus Short Fielder (11)

I assume the short fielder position changes based on batter and runner situation.. , Where would suggest the Icon to be placed on scoring screen? My thought would be directly behind the second base bag in short outfield. or would you expect a different location?
iScore Baseball/Softball