Importable Lineups (answered/closed - unless user has more feedback)

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
willdresslar

Importable Lineups (answered/closed - unless user has more feedback)

Post by willdresslar » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:37 am

Is there any plan to add lineup import capability?
OhioTex

Re: Importable Lineups

Post by OhioTex » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:59 am

Can you be more specific, What team line ups are you looking for?

There already exist many ways to retrieve rosters, line ups, games and data into iscore. But depends on what team you are looking for, because It all starts with them being made available.

For example, If you are looking for daily MLB game line ups, purchase the optional MLB subscription and you get current rosters and game day line ups as soon as they are released

The MLB package also provides Rosters for curent MiLB, and NCAA baseball and softball teams as well as Retrosheet for over 50years of historical MLB teams.

P.S, yes a texas ranger fan..
iScore Baseball/Softball
* FAQ http://iscoresports.com//baseball/support.php
* Updated Manual http://iscoresports.com/baseball/manual.php?gd=1
* Stat Formulas http://data.iscorecentral.com/legend.ph ... internal=1
willdresslar

Post by willdresslar » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:29 am

Local league(s) where I have spreadsheet or csv rosters.
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:49 am

In addition to MLB package, iscore has a number of built in methods and free tools to assist in Team Roster retrieval /data entry to streamline the default manual device typing method ...

To be clear, thease are Roster imports, not starting line up imports. Because outside of MLB, few (if any) leagues provide reliable starting line up data streams in advance of games.

1) TEAM MANAGER> DISCOVER TEAM
Have you tried, Discover Team? iScore has a number of "DISCOVER" team options, for retrieving rosters from a number of sources, including other iscore users, siplay teams, national leagues (eg nations, USSSA, USA premier) and other third parties (eg, max preps, Sport engine, prospect wire, ball charts).. have you looked to see if teams there?- that is the easiest and fastest way to import another team roster.

2 "admin website" data entry
you can also use the my.iscorecentral.com admin web site with "option >export and Option >Import" to create teams and enter rosters on the web site with copy and paste ease and then import back to device..

You can add multiple players at once in the following format:(instruction on line too)

FirstName LastName Jersey# Position Batting Bats Throws

Only FirstName and LastName are required.
The others are in the order most people have data for.
Position can either be the position # (1 = Pitcher, 2= Catcher, etc) or abbreviation for the position (1B = First Base, LF = Left Field, etc).
Batting can be: Y = Yes, N = No, D = DP, F = Flex.
Bats and Throws can be: R = Right, L = Left, B = Both

If you have opponent roster data in a data file, and discover team is not viable option- this is a pretty fast and straight forward way to speed roster entry to device .

3) CSV IMPORT
And yes, there is also a way to import CSV files if you have teams with historic stats. But that is much more complicated and time consuming. But Here is a detailed thread on that for more info
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11420
iScore Baseball/Softball
willdresslar

Post by willdresslar » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:39 am

These are all very nice tools, but I don't want to manage my data on someone else's server. Just a personal preference.
I use csv import in 2 other scoring tools and it couldn't be simpler. I assume this is not a feature in iscore in order to sell the mlb add-on.
I like the mlb feature, and would pay for it at a lower price. There are at least 2 other scoring apps that offer this feature free of charge.
Not a rip at iscore, just an observation.

iscore has the best detailed scoresheets and pdf outputs and I'd really like to switch to it as my primary scoring app, but there are a few items that will
preclude me from doing so:

1) The landscape view issue (need to have landscape in most if not all screens). This is my deal breaker.
2) csv import
3) No local data backup
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:13 pm

Please Re Read my posts. . my.iscorecentral.com is free, not an upscale attempt.

Before you reject my.iscorecentral.com - give it a try. You obviously did not because it does have a CSV import tool . but if i understand your need, I think you will find Option 2 easier.

iScore is architected to store all your data on your device, that is once it is there, but to get there it has to come from somewhere..
iscore admin server provides you a way to brig in data by web data entry and backup your data, in case your device is lost or breaks. You can run iscore w/o any connectivity if you choose ( i have run on ipod w no cell/server data).

Try option #2. and see where it falls short.

Iscore is a mobile app, not a pc app. You can backup the data locally however android does. (Apple uses itunes , but i would not call it user friendly)

You mention other products offer xyz... i have no doubt, but not for the price of iscore.
iScore Baseball/Softball
willdresslar

Post by willdresslar » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:03 am

Hold on a minute Big Tex. You've got me all wrong. And I think you may be somewhat guilty yourself of not reading my post.

First, I wasn't accusing anyone of upselling anything. I was just implying that I thought that iscore might not add simple csv importing,
or make it a bit difficult, so as to make the mlb option more appealing. Certainly nothing wrong with that. Their tool to do with as they wish.

Second, I don't think it would be disloyal for you to admit that other scoring apps have good features/offers that iscore does not.
Fact - 2 other scoring apps provide mlb roster imports and updates for no charge. That's a nice offer.
Fact - One other app provides database backups to the location of your choice. I use my sdcard and WiFi to my PC. Also, a nice feature.

Yes it occurred to me that one can backup their data with standard Android tools and I can.

Now, you are right, I didn't try your suggestion yet. In fact, I have to admit I hadn't even really given the app a decent cursory test drive,
and I apologize for jumping the gun with some of my comments. I had only tooled around the settings and menus looking for features I wanted,
and simulated a few innings of bs. I have been impatient in trying to find a new scoring app to replace the one I currently use.
My research had narrowed me down to 3 apps, and I am just rushing a bit.

Now for the kicker. After scoring an actual game with the tool last night (2 actually), here are my thoughts:
1) As I knew, wonderfully accurate and detailed scoring
2) Great interface on the main scoring page. A lot of info, but not too much.
3) Really like having the pitch by pitch on the main page. The detail of the wording
Leaves no doubt as to how you scored the play, and you can quickly see and correct mistakes
4) Seemingly quite a bit of undo capability. That's good.
5) Cosmetically, I love the colors used in the app in general
6) The outputs I played with were really bad ass. The email of the game summary
with the old school box score in the body was awesome. Then many stats formatted nicely.
and the attachments of the stats in csv and xls format with that fantastic pdf with both team in the one pdf...
I tell you it blew me away. And that's just the fraction of the tool that I know.

These are just a few observations. I'm sure I forgot some. I'll tell you I just didn't find much to criticize.

I liked the thing so much I decided then and there to switch to it. I even purchased the mlb package with some hard earned Texas dollars.
About double what I think it is worth, but that's ok. Maybe a loyalty discount if we stay with it year in year out.

And this after I said the landscape view in all the menus and rosters and team pages was itself, a deal breaker.
I liked the app that much. I am willing to fight through the no-landscape issue on the aforementioned pages.
The saving grace is that the place we all spend the lions share of time, the game scoring page, rotates correctly
between portrait and landscape modes.

I would like to see this fixed if possible. The fact that it works on the game scoring page makes me think it should
work on all the other pages.

I mean the app was so good I just did it. Between the app, the support it has, the documentation,
the forum discussion page and all the tool experts like yourself helping out, it's just no contest.

Anyway, thanks for spending the time helping out.

-Will
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:52 am

thanks for the clarification . Very glad, you enjoyed your initial test games and they went well. .. as previously stated on the other thread. , support and the developers will have to respond to the landscape issue.

Have we answered the initial topic of this thread on "importable Lineups"? I believe so, but If not, let me know what more i can clarify on the specific topic of import capabilities.

if import lineup is resolved, other comments...
  • I do not use Android, but for iPAD, landscape works great, all screens that seem to need to rotate do. I would 110% agree, they should also in android, I just know there are multiple sizes to support and can not test any to see if this is isolated or systemic issue you raised, limited to large or small or select hardware devices .

I have stated before on the forum, accuracy and detail of scoring is table stakes for any program in this area. But the PDF scorecard was one of the main features that caught my eye many years ago. I really do like it (despite its minor quarks as captured in the forum in suggestions) . Over the years the iscorecast feature has risen in value in my eyes, (did not even know i needed when i started with iscore, ) now probably my second favorite feature and one i expound on for new / prospective users. I also found the Team Web site worth the cost for its simplicity and ease to use and maintain when coaching travel teams.. i even stopped emailing spreadsheets b/c web site provided password protection and column sort and drill down capabilities. For me, when scoring NCAA games, not entering the team names was worth the price for the MLB subscription. but i can see were some may think it is over priced. but the reality is the app is fully functional as is for less than 10$ .

on the notion of cost , out of curiosity .. how much did you spend on iscore baseball vs competitors you considered? I have seen iscore promotions for free not sure where that stands on android right now. iscore, is fully functioning without optional purchases and one heck of a value proposition vs competitors that i have seen. but different users, value different features and functionality i know.

the admin site does have CSV import for free, and backup on their server. it was not made more complicated to promote add on purchases. the add on options are to serve different needs. the developers made iscore as self standing scoring product as they could i think, but did realize advance stats and other interactions would require add on subscriptions.

heads up, the Green 'old school' look and feel that you have on android tablet in version 4 is probably do for a face lift ... you can scan the user manual in my signature line and you will see version 5 for iOS has a more modern and updated look and feel. Same functionality and workflow / keystrokes - just new/ different graphics. Version 5 for iOS also has a light contrast mode that is much better in sunlight- I can not recall if version 4 for android had light skin mode or not. .

One of the legacy items, I do not see changing anytime soon is the app was built as an app - not a PC based solution, the developers have historically said, they do not see it as a PC product. one of the reasons i suspect iscore does not use the SD backup option is that many mobile devices do not offer SD cards. but yes if your device and app has ways to store files on SD, that seems like a nice option to have. but i lieu of all devices using local storage they went with cloud backup.

The edit capabilities are pretty robust, but can't correct everything post game. there are some mistakes that do still cause total rescoring to get perfect, scorebook, play by play and stats. but you can always manually over write the stats if needed.

The league feature is a powerful way to create custom groupings, i have seen implemented differently on different apps .

The tablet is great for scoring, but I often see veteran users go back to phone version to be able to score more easily with one hand. once they have the iscore workflow down.

iscore, also has built in capability to exchange games with other devices via data sharing, great for a family who scores multiple kids teams with multiple devices and wants to consolidate all in one place.

there are numerous suggestions for app improvement in the forum.. if you scan those threads, i am sure you will find some you value more or less than others . I hope you will add to the discussions, vote on ones you like and add to the list for developers to put on their future consideration of priorities.
iScore Baseball/Softball
willdresslar

Post by willdresslar » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:22 am

OhioTex wrote:thanks for the clarification . Very glad, you enjoyed your initial test games and they went well. .. as previously stated on the other thread. , support and the developers will have to respond to the landscape issue.

Have we answered the initial topic of this thread on "importable Lineups"? I believe so, but If not, let me know what more i can clarify on the specific topic of import capabilities.
Yes thanks. If I have any further questions, I can always ask.

if import lineup is resolved, other comments...
  • I do not use Android, but for iPAD, landscape works great, all screens that seem to need to rotate do. I would 110% agree, they should also in android, I just know there are multiple sizes to support and can not test any to see if this is isolated or systemic issue you raised, limited to large or small or select hardware devices .

I have stated before on the forum, accuracy and detail of scoring is table stakes for any program in this area. But the PDF scorecard was one of the main features that caught my eye many years ago. I really do like it (despite its minor quarks as captured in the forum in suggestions) . Over the years the iscorecast feature has risen in value in my eyes, (did not even know i needed when i started with iscore, ) now probably my second favorite feature and one i expound on for new / prospective users. I also found the Team Web site worth the cost for its simplicity and ease to use and maintain when coaching travel teams.. i even stopped emailing spreadsheets b/c web site provided password protection and column sort and drill down capabilities. For me, when scoring NCAA games, not entering the team names was worth the price for the MLB subscription. but i can see were some may think it is over priced. but the reality is the app is fully functional as is for less than 10$ .
    I'm looking forward to trying some of these features to see if they are something that would be of interested to me. I'm enjoying the "League" feature as a way to isolate/filter. That is really nice.

on the notion of cost , out of curiosity .. how much did you spend on iscore baseball vs competitors you considered? I have seen iscore promotions for free not sure where that stands on android right now. iscore, is fully functioning without optional purchases and one heck of a value proposition vs competitors that i have seen. but different users, value different features and functionality i know.
    For the functionality I was looking for, some had no cost, some maybe 5 buck for some features. With iscore I spent 20 buck for MLB. Most of the scoring I do is for fun. I have been a baseball junkie and baseball history junkie since I was a kid. When I was in little league I had a coach that taught me to score and for some reason I just enjoy doing it. I used to sit in my room and listen to games on the radio and score along. I actually was scoring Nolan Ryan's 5th no hitter, then got up and went out to play with my friends. Go figure. I am always looking for a way to automate and speed up the tedious and redundant things and just get down to enjoying the games and scoring along.

the admin site does have CSV import for free, and backup on their server. it was not made more complicated to promote add on purchases. the add on options are to serve different needs. the developers made iscore as self standing scoring product as they could i think, but did realize advance stats and other interactions would require add on subscriptions.
    I like the sever backup. I still would like a local option though.

heads up, the Green 'old school' look and feel that you have on android tablet in version 4 is probably do for a face lift ... you can scan the user manual in my signature line and you will see version 5 for iOS has a more modern and updated look and feel. Same functionality and workflow / keystrokes - just new/ different graphics. Version 5 for iOS also has a light contrast mode that is much better in sunlight- I can not recall if version 4 for android had light skin mode or not. .
    I hope they at least keep a dark color option available.

One of the legacy items, I do not see changing anytime soon is the app was built as an app - not a PC based solution, the developers have historically said, they do not see it as a PC product. one of the reasons i suspect iscore does not use the SD backup option is that many mobile devices do not offer SD cards. but yes if your device and app has ways to store files on SD, that seems like a nice option to have. but i lieu of all devices using local storage they went with cloud backup.

The edit capabilities are pretty robust, but can't correct everything post game. there are some mistakes that do still cause total rescoring to get perfect, scorebook, play by play and stats. but you can always manually over write the stats if needed.
    Thankfully I am not too much of a stickler. I just love that it shoots for a real detailed scorebook

The league feature is a powerful way to create custom groupings, i have seen implemented differently on different apps .

The tablet is great for scoring, but I often see veteran users go back to phone version to be able to score more easily with one hand. once they have the iscore workflow down.

iscore, also has built in capability to exchange games with other devices via data sharing, great for a family who scores multiple kids teams with multiple devices and wants to consolidate all in one place.
    This is a nice feature too. Would love to be able to completely sync all data with my other devices

there are numerous suggestions for app improvement in the forum.. if you scan those threads, i am sure you will find some you value more or less than others . I hope you will add to the discussions, vote on ones you like and add to the list for developers to put on their future consideration of priorities.
    This is also one of the best things about the app. Seems well supported and in development. Some others are solo or small group projects that do not have the time/resources to maintain and develop.
    I will definitely read over the forum threads, and join in the discussions when I can.
Went out to the ballpark and saw Nick Martinez have another good start. Beltre got to 2960 with a beautiful longball.

Hook 'em!
OhioTex

Re: Importable Lineups (resolved)

Post by OhioTex » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:39 am

think we close this thread,

the only definitive question in RED that seems to need a response , is the Dark Skin question. and the answer is yes,
they kept (and improved) both light and dark skins in version 5.o, for iOS.

the look and feel is just more polished, lest flat, more blue tones than old school green. not sure how to describe better, it is a "See it" type of thing.

enjoy the ballpark in Arlington, I was there on its grand opening day and miss it. though the jake is not bad nor is the new cincy stadium.
iScore Baseball/Softball