New Pitch Clock & Game Delay. How to enter "No Pitch Ball" or "No Pitch Strike" (answered, Implemented)

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
WarrenBof

New Pitch Clock & Game Delay. How to enter "No Pitch Ball" or "No Pitch Strike" (answered, Implemented)

Post by WarrenBof » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:16 pm

NCAA currently uses a 20 second clock where if the pitcher doesn't throw the ball within that time, it is a ball. If the batter causes the delay, then it is a strike. Now, I haven't seen it called even one time over the past three years, but it is bound to happen someday. Also, I understand that MLB is currently considering implementing such a rule. Without anything official to go on, I assume that neither the strike nor the ball would be included in the pitcher's stats, so how do you get the ball or strike on the batter's stats for the game.

I suggest that you add a swiping motion to both the strike and ball buttons to handle the action when this happens. When you swipe the strike button, there is already a sub-menu. A swipe on the ball button treats the pitch as an intentional ball - this could be changed to add a sub-menu of choices.

And that brings up another question of mine - what is an intentional ball? Is it when you intend to intentionally walk the batter, or does it also include a pitchout to the catcher in anticipation of a runner stealing the next base. Maybe if they are two separate things, you could add "Pitchout" to the balls sub-menu.

Finally, as an android user, I sometimes feel like the famous red headed stepchild. If you add this change, it would be nice if you could do it on the android platform before the apple system.

Still enjoy using the app - think it is great. Keep up the good work. :D
OhioTex

Re: Pitch Clock Suggestion

Post by OhioTex » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:01 am

you can add a strike or a ball to a batter and not increment the pitcher's pitch count using options under the MISC button.

The "MISC" menu has "illegal pitch" , "no pitch strike" and "adjust score" options
  • the "illegal pitch" adds a ball to the batter but not a "pitch" to pitcher pitch count stats
    (you can add a note to clarify this was a time delay if you want the iscorecast and play by play to reflect that extra detail)
  • The "no pitch strike" adds a strike to the batter but not a pitch to the pitcher's pitch count
    (This option was added this spring, specifically to help support little league rules, not sure if on Android yet as i do not have an andorid device to test. here is the background on this addition. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11622
  • thirdly, "adjust score" allows you to change score, inning and batter . the android version may have adjusting balls and strikes too but i can't recall from memory . I recall this was a suggested option once by support but know it is not in iOS. check to see if it is an additional option in android to adjust balls and strikes without adding to pitchers pitch count.
other clarifications...

For strike
  • The "swipe strike" is already currently used for swinging strike (the sub menu only appears on third strike),
  • i believe the developers intent on swipe motions is to reduce keystrokes for common actions, not add more menu items.
For balls..
  • The "swipe ball" is "intentional ball" (and it credits the pitcher with a pitch)
  • There is also the "in play > intentional walk" which advances batter to first but does not add any pitches to pitcher (this would be the new MLB rule or High School Rule which awards a batter first base with out any pitches being thrown)
  • Use which ever method is appropriate for your situation .
iScore Baseball/Softball
* FAQ http://iscoresports.com//baseball/support.php
* Updated Manual http://iscoresports.com/baseball/manual.php?gd=1
* Stat Formulas http://data.iscorecentral.com/legend.ph ... internal=1
PetroGuy

Re: Pitch Clock Suggestion (answered)

Post by PetroGuy » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:32 pm

I don't have the NCAA rule set handy. What does it say about scoring in these situations? Are the strikes and balls supposed to count towards the pitcher?
Check out the iScore documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
OhioTex

Re: Pitch Clock Suggestion (answered)

Post by OhioTex » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:19 pm

IScore does not add a pitch to pitchers pitch count or ball/strike stats for no pitch 'intentional walk' nor 'illegal pitch' "ball" or "balk ball"

so a pitcher 'delay of game' "ball", i would say is same thing, ball to batter count but not to pitcher pitch count/stats.
likewise A batter delay would be a 'no pitch' strike, strike added to batter count but no increase in pitchers pitch count.

I can't find anything explicit in MLB or NCAA scoreing rules to support this practice, add to batter count but not to pitcher pitch count/ stats. probably because technically balls/strike pitch count not stated as part of official pitching record . ( BUT we all know it is tracked as part of stats collected).

But here is how i prove iScore is handling correctly,
  • Opening day 2017 ( 4/2/17) cubs vs cards, bottom of 9th , we get the first MLB 'no pitch' "intentional walk" (cubs pitcher montgomery on cards catcher malina) a review of game's boxscore on mlb.com, shows pitcher montgomery 24 pitches ( 12 strikes- 12 balls). When i research pitch by pitch on mlb.com, batter faced and each count that inning i find VALIDATION the 4 balls for intentional walk are NOT counted in montgomery's 24 (12b-12s) pitch count . (Just like how iscore handles)

Below is some of what MLB and NCAA says..
[quote]
NCAA 10.
Pitching Record
SECTION 19 Each pitcher’s record shall include in the summary: number of inninngs, base hits, runs, earned runs, bases on balls, strikeouts, hit batters, wild pitches and balks

No mention of officially recording number of balls and strikes

MLB Scoreing rules (section 9) is also silent on topic. MLB 9.x doesn't talk about officially tracking pitchers balls and strike statistics. Even with the new 'intentional no pitch walk' mlb 9.x is silent on the topic

By the way below are the mlb (12 sec) and ncaa (20 sec) delay rules

NCAA
9 pitching
SECTION 2 The pitcher shall not:

9.2.c. Delay the game at any time With the bases unoccupied, the pitcher shall deliver the ball within 20 seconds after receiving the ball on the mound;
PENALTY—After a warning for each pitcher, a ball will be called each time the rule is violated.
Note Coaches are prohibited from arguing a 20-second rule violation. A warning shall be given for the first offense and an ejection of the head coach on subsequent violations.

MLB
5. Pitching
5.07 (c) [8.04] Pitcher Delays
When the bases are unoccupied, the pitcher shall deliver the ball to the batter within 12 seconds after he receives the ball. Each time the pitcher delays the game by violating this rule, the umpire shall call "Ball."[/quote]
iScore Baseball/Softball
* FAQ http://iscoresports.com//baseball/support.php
* Updated Manual http://iscoresports.com/baseball/manual.php?gd=1
* Stat Formulas http://data.iscorecentral.com/legend.ph ... internal=1