Data Share Mapping (resolved)

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
Chuck917

Data Share Mapping (resolved)

Post by Chuck917 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:02 pm

I score all our HS games. I then export so our coach can import after the games. When we started this season our coach imported the games I had scored. The team name he has on his iPad is different than the team name I have on my iPad. He was able to import all 6 games but none of the game stats or player stats are showing up under the team he has on his iPad. What might we have done wrong?
OhioTex

Re: Mapping

Post by OhioTex » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:39 pm

#1) LEAGUES. On 'coaches device' go to league manager and turn on the special ALL LEAGUE to make sure all data on device is displayed. Now re try team manager > team > team stats. I suspect the issue is league assignments.

2) slightly different name in different devices =No problem.
The program maintains a unique id number under the covers for each team, game and player. What you type to name the team can change but the undelying ID remains the same. So When your coach uses " option>'data share' > get from web database" to transfer a game from your device to his, the mapping process uses the underlying ID - so what you call your team (e.g. Mason HS 2017) can be different than what he calls the team (e.g Mason Varsity Baseball) .

3) When you data share, make sure games are complete. With all league on he should see all transfered games under team manager.

If enabling all leagues did not solve the hidden stat issue. Make aure all the games are listed under game manager and stats for each game look right.
iScore Baseball/Softball
* FAQ http://iscoresports.com//baseball/support.php
* Updated Manual http://iscoresports.com/baseball/manual.php?gd=1
* Stat Formulas http://data.iscorecentral.com/legend.ph ... internal=1
Chuck917

Post by Chuck917 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:48 am

Thank you OhioTex. I'll check this at games tonight and let you know if this does not help.
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:45 am

some extended details on #3 from prior post.
#3) When you data share, make sure games are complete. With all league on he should see all transfered games under team manager.
  • I assume when you say " Coach was able to import all 6 games..." his method of doing that is by using "OPTIONS > DATA SHARING > GET FROM WEB > Entering your CUSTOMER ID and PASSWORD". If so, that is a good method.

With that process, you and coach should know.. the program will only show games "not already" on coaches device, if a game pre exists on the coach device, it will not show up on the list of games available to pull in. how does this happen? If coach previously pulled in a partially scored game (e.g suspected game) or perhaps a pre scheduled game (no scoring yet), the program will pull in the game at that moment in time, and not show it again.. leaving the game on coaches device "behind" or out of sync. Same out of sync condition can occur, if you make any post game edits on a scored game, the program can not "automatically sync" across devices who share games by data share (just not that sophisticated a program). For coaches device to have the most up to date game, he would have to delete the partial game from his device and then Option> Data Share again from your device to retrieve the updated game.. Make sense?
More on #1 - LEAGUES
  • above is good to info to know, and perhaps a reason he is not showing stats, but i still suspect "leagues" assignment and enabling on his device are his primary issue.. When you talk with him, he should get into the habit of turning on the special "ALL LEAGUE" any time he is not seeing the teams/players/games or stats expected. Enabling ALL LEAGUE is a good first step in troubleshooting many concerns. the program needs the games, teams and players all to be assigned to the same league(s) and that league needs to be enabled for games/teams/player stats to be visible on your device. Make sense? viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1705
hope this all helps

please continue post back with any further questions or need for more clarifications.

good luck tonight
iScore Baseball/Softball
Chuck917

Re: Data Share Mapping (awaiting user response)

Post by Chuck917 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:04 am

Thanks again OhioTex. When I looked at our coach's iPad it appears when he imported the games he may have mapped the team, Manhattan Indians as named on my iPad, to a different team, Manhattan Indians 2014, on his iPad. I always score games as Manhattan Indians no matter if it was a game in 2014 or 2017. Our coach previously had each season set up as a separate team, i.e. Manhattan Indians 2014, Manhattan Indians 2015, Manhattan Indians 2016. This year he wanted to have all games associated with a new team he created Manhattan Indians 2017.

If I deleted the Manhattan Indians 2017 team on his iPad and the 6 games, now 8 games played this season, would that allow me to import all the games again and change which team the 8 games his season are mapped to on his iPad? I'm hoping I can re-import the 8 games and map each of the games to Manhattan Indians 2017.

Would it also be possible to merge the Manhattan Indians 2013, Manhattan Indians 2014, Manhattan Indians 2015, and Manhattan Indians 2016 games in to the same Manhattan Indians team that I use on my iPad after deleting the games from this season and then re-importing the 8 games from this season hoping that would eliminate any issues with mapping games to the wrong team? Then, I would review each game since 2013 to make sure they are all assigned to a league associated with the season as our coach had done by creating a new team for each season.

Thanks for all your advice on how to correct this mapping issue to a prior season team that is associated with our games this season not showing up in the correct team on our coach's iPad and why the league stats for this season are also showing stats from the 2014 season.
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:34 am

thanks for the extra detail in your reply. It tells me a lot... (apology upfront for length of my counter reply but tricky to fix)
  • #1 - sounds like you and your coach know how to use leagues or had the ALL league on (good) however,
    #2- you do have a Team Mapping challenge .. and it is not a simple or straightforward fix.
the reason for the issue is a three way combination of a) coach wanting to have TEAM BY YEAR (which i recommend); b) you having TEAM FOR ALL YEARS (which some others on forum recommend) and c) the iScore Program in its efforts to "smart map" teams does not naturally handle those two opposing strategies well.

I will explain more below, but the mapping issue is not something a user can readily fix. that said, i do have a 'workaround' approach which you can do and resolve but takes a few steps. I can help you or you can email support.
  • (side note: - Coach iPad can use leagues to filter / separate 2014 and 2017 stats. but sounds like he really wants a year per team and does not want 2017 being different, which i can fully appreciate)
  • if you want to work through a step-by-step fix today, I will offer you my email, and we can connect and work it directly off forum
    • <<email removed, to keep off spam lists>>
  • As mentioned elsewhere on the forum, I am a user and forum moderator, but not part of iScore company. I do not have access to your database and tools support may have. I can only provide assistance from an advance user standpoint. If you would rather contact support, please do. But I am confident you can solve this yourself today with my input/support
If you rather contact support, their email is support@iscoresports.com
  • Not sure how backlogged they are or turnaround time but assume they have a way to fix.
  • you would need to include as much detail as you can and also option > export both your and coaches database, and provide the customer IDs for both devices.they may be able to do it all with coaches device but i would send both IDs.
  • I would specifically identify the 2017 games you want to show up on coaches device with a 2017 team. and that you also want that team on your device.
  • Not sure what all they can do and how quickly, but that would be the idea.
................................................................................................................................................
general explanation of workaround you can do to solve today

What happened,
  • as explained in prior post, inside the iscore program it creates and maintains a unique ID for each team - regardless of what you name it. We have to disassociate that ID from your device and coaches.
    • It sounds like, when the coach Data Shared in the 2017 games, the program found the underlying team ID for your "Manhattan Indians 'MULTI YEAR TEAM" matched with coaches underlying team ID for "Manhattan Indians 2014 TEAM". and gave Coach the blue check mark for mapping match - nothing coach could have really done different at that time. (not 100% sure why matched to coaches 2014 team not coaches 2016 team, but matters not - same issue either way). In data sharing, once iscore matches an underlying ID, and you get a blue check mark next to names you do not get the red NEW and change option chance . the iscore program (at least on the current iOS version) does not provide you any way to "unmatched" and "change" a match it found (a case of program trying to be smart to help make easy for most users, but having unintended consequences in this exception situations). I posted a user enhancement request on this to forum under separate post
Work around idea
  • I have had similar issues happen with other users. What we do is use a third device (or a temporary/virtual device on your iPad) to force the program to change the underlying team ID, and dissociate 2017 games from your multi year team
  • 1) on your source device
    • option export to update servers. (critical)
    2) On third device..
    • Data Share a "2017 GAME" from "Scorer device"
    • (on first transfer, team, players, all would be red NEW - and after the team will have the same underlying team ID, call it "MULTI-YEAR TEAM" )
    • next, data share in the remaining seven "2017 Games" from "Scorer device" (your team and players should map blue, opponents red new)
    • after transfer, in team manager, manually create a NEW team call it "NEW TEAM 2107" (will have its own unique ID inside the program)
    • then in team manager, merge teams (to replace team id). Team Manager > Merge Team... Place "NEW TEAM 2107" on left (very critical) and "MULTI-YEAR TEAM" on right. (thus the surviving team has new underlying team ID)
    • lastly, option > export to update servers. (critical)
    3) on coaches device. ..
    • option > export to create a back up on servers - -just in case
    • Delete the 2017 games. (yes delete ) ( but not the players, not the "2014 team", not the 2014 Games, not the "2017 opponent teams")
    • Option > Data Share > From Web > from third device customer ID and password
    • Choose a "2017 Game" - which should map RED "New" for "NEW TEAM 2017" , but match blue for opponent team and all players
    • next transfer in the remaining seven "2017 games" (Option > Data Share > From Web > from third device customer ID and password)
    • Coach can now go to team manager and rename "NEW TEAM 2017" to what ever Coach needs
    • team manager should now have a "2017 Team" with appropriate 2017 games and player stats associated with it. likewise players.
    • update league assignments as appropriate for team/ games/ players
    but we are not done, you have to backwards update your device, repeats what coach just did on coach's device.. ie. your source device, needs to replace the 2017 games with "new team 2017" ID based games.

4) your source device
    • Delete the 2017 games. (yes delete) ( BUT not the players, nor "Multi Year Team" nor the "2017 opponent teams". - just the 2017 games)
    • then Option > Data Share > Get from Web > from Coach device customer ID and password
    • Choose a "2017 Game" , it will map red New for "NEW TEAM 2017" , but match blue for opponent team and all players.
    • next transfer in the other "2017 games". (Option > Data Share > From Web > from Coach device customer ID and password)
    • you can go to team manager and rename "NEW TEAM 2017" to what ever you like, and it will be independent of your MULTI YEAR TEAM,
    • You and coach should now each have a "2017 Team" with appropriate 2017 games and stats. that will data share map correctly for future games you score
    • update league assignments as appropriate for team/ games/ players
    • if you want to recombine your team to a single multi year team, you can but will create future transfer issues if not in 2017, in 2018.
  • 5) If satisfied with the complete process, OPTION > EXPORT on both devices to update backup servers. and you can remove from your third device.

6) If you have a TEAM WEBSITE SUBSCRIPTION, you may need to reassign the controlling team. do this on my.iscorcentral.com
so that lays out a general approach to fix on your own with a third device or you can contact me and i can provide a virtual third device, and additional coaching steps if needed.
Last edited by OhioTex on Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
iScore Baseball/Softball
Chuck917

Post by Chuck917 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:02 am

Thank you. Yes, I would like to work through today. I will respond to your email within the next hour and we can work on the work around.