Hide Clock only on External Display (future.feature.request)

If you have an idea for improving the product, please post it here and we will try and prioritize updates based on the most popular requests.
mbartschi

Hide Clock only on External Display (future.feature.request)

Post by mbartschi » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:08 pm

I would like to keep the clock:
  • visible on the iPad (so I can monitor it and try to keep it close to the official time for purposes of PM stats, game flow diagram, and scorecasts)
...but...
  • hidden on the external video (because it often doesn't exactly match the official scoreboard and confuses fans).
Currently, there is only one setting that either shows or hides the clock everywhere. Could this be two separate settings - one for showing/hiding the clock on the iPad and another for the external display?
OhioTex

Re: Hide Clock only on External Display

Post by OhioTex » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:26 am

Unique request .

I am confident the developers will pick up the request and add to their consideration list ..

However, I do not recall seeing this requested before on the forum and am not sure how broad the demand for this will be. I would be curious to know more about how you are connecting to and using an "external display" with iscore basketball . A deeper understanding of your use and fan experience may spur more interest.

Also, i see you have posted before for football and baseball also. Wondering if external displays used in those scenerios too.
iScore Baseball/Softball
* FAQ http://iscoresports.com//baseball/support.php
* Updated Manual http://iscoresports.com/baseball/manual.php?gd=1
* Stat Formulas http://data.iscorecentral.com/legend.ph ... internal=1
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:29 am

External display was only created for basketball. We will add the request to our enhancement list. Out of curiosity, how are you using the external display?
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
mbartschi

Post by mbartschi » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:06 pm

We are acquiring a score table with a big-screen LED television built into the front panel of it with an HDMI input. (And, of course, a sturdy clear protective panel.) I'd like to connect the iPad external display so it shows the score and stats on the front of the score table. But the official time is being kept on the scoreboard on the wall, and it often won't exactly match iScore. I have also tried this in the past wirelessly using Apple AirPlay to cast the scoreboard into a TV by the concession stand, and it works pretty well as long as you have a good signal.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:51 pm

Thank you... yeah, that is what we originally created the feature for - showing on big screens at tournaments for example.
mbartschi

Post by mbartschi » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:53 pm

Even without a publicly visible screen, I have used the external display for my own benefit since I announce the games in addition to tracking the stats. I put a small flat screen TV on the score table facing me and hook the iPad up to it. Then, I put iScore into Full Screen mode which has two advantages: 1) I get bigger buttons and a bigger court diagram so it's easier to tap what I meant to tap quickly, and 2) the names and points are in front of me at a 90-degree angle so I can keep one eye on the game and still see the names. Even when we do get the video score table, I will use a splitter to continue doing that.
mbartschi

Post by mbartschi » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:04 pm

One other related suggestion: The stat portions of the scoreboard show eight players: the five who are in the game plus the first three who aren't, each in the order listed in the lineup. (On the iPad screen, the list scrolls to show the rest, but not on the external display.) I assume that this is because that's how much fits in the available space in split-screen mode, and you're probably using the same graphic element on the external display as the one in split-screen mode.

But it would make more sense, at least on the external display, for it to either just show the five players who are in the game, or, since you're only using about half of the available vertical space at most resolutions, why not make it tall enough to show all 15? I know I'm asking for things that are probably only relevant to a minority of users, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to make the graphic element taller on the external display to accommodate more players without affecting the split-screen iPad display. Or better yet, make it a configurable setting.
Last edited by mbartschi on Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mbartschi

Post by mbartschi » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:35 pm

OhioTex wrote:I would be curious to know more about how you are connecting to and using an "external display" with iscore basketball...Also, i see you have posted before for football and baseball also. Wondering if external displays used in those scenerios too.
While it would be a cool feature for football and baseball, I find it unlikely that my school is going to be able to afford an outdoor big screen video display anytime soon, so I can see why the developers prioritized the feature for basketball. I'm also trying to work out a way to incorporate radio-style play-by-play into the scorecast by using RTMP streaming. It would be cool if iScore could take an audio input, but I've had some success using media encoding software to stream my audio source in tandem with a screen shot of the scorecast. A little convoluted, but it works.

I suspect that a great number of iScore users are coaches / assistant coaches who sit on the bench and are mostly concerned with their own team's stats for their own purposes. But I'm not a coach - I'm a sports information director and PA announcer for all sports. So I'm mostly looking for ways to enrich the fan experience. Therefore, the live Scorecast feature, the Scoreboard feature, the basketball external display feature, and the ability to load team logos and player photos are big wins for me. Having the stats on a heads-up display makes me a better announcer, the live fan-facing components help me reach more people in more ways, and the instant e-mail feature lets me easily report results to media outlets after the game. The Twitter integration is cool too, although I wish it would tweet a link to the specific scorecast for the game instead of making fans copy and paste my customer ID number.

Most stat apps either don't have fan-facing features, or if they do, they charge either you or your fans an ongoing subscription fee for access. Another huge capability that I haven't found in most other stat tracking apps is the ability to choose any two teams even if neither one of them is mine. We host a lot of tournaments and so this comes up frequently.

If iScore made apps for Volleyball or Lacrosse, I would snap those up too, but I suppose those are smaller markets compared to the four apps they have today.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:07 am

iScore Lacrosse actually does exist - it is for iPad only, but available on the Apple App Store. We do not yet have a volleyball app.
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:19 am

great feedback.! thanks .

great ideas in your posts... I am confident the developers will take into their product development / evolution considerations.

I knew from your prior posts you were a multi sport - announcer / sports information type and thought the community may benefit from hearing some stories on how you use the products and fan experience.. thanks

on the audio input idea,
mbartschi wrote:I'm also trying to work out a way to incorporate radio-style play-by-play into the scorecast by using RTMP streaming. It would be cool if iScore could take an audio input, but I've had some success using media encoding software to stream my audio source in tandem with a screen shot of the scorecast. A little convoluted, but it works.
some thoughts/comments ...
[*] have you tried the iscore Central Viewer App ? , I know it takes a 5$ quarterly subscription for fans, but one of the premium features is "audio playback". and it works, (i have used it for hands free listening). one of the great surprises, It also translates any plays any Notes you type in . of course not the same as a full audio broadcast nor your voice

[*]I assume you already have an audio broadcast - do you? if so what product do you use? ( our high school uses "mixlr", reasonably affordable and user friendly enough) - "livestream" has been discussed for video but not gone there yet for multiple reasons). for the user, they can have the iscorecast visible in a active browser and the audio feed in the background on mixer. Of course there is time sync lag as they are not integrated.
iScore Baseball/Softball
* FAQ http://iscoresports.com//baseball/support.php
* Updated Manual http://iscoresports.com/baseball/manual.php?gd=1
* Stat Formulas http://data.iscorecentral.com/legend.ph ... internal=1