Fall ball rule where you don't walk the 1st time (workaround defined)

If you are having an issue with iScore Baseball, please post it here and we will try and find solutions so everybody will be aware of them.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Fall ball rule where you don't walk the 1st time

Post by FTMSupport » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:31 pm

If you do not want to count the stats for the walk, when the batter walks you could undo to a 0-0 count and tap Misc -> Tie Breaker and put whatever runners you want on base.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:27 am

Nice addition by support.. Here is a recap of a viable workaround for this 'special case' incorporating this latest idea from support.

Use "misc > tie breaker" to 'adjust' base runners (instead of courtesy runner) in combination with "misc > adjust score" to re set batter.

This entry combination seems to * simplify setting the base runners, * avoids having to create ghost runners in line up. *Solves the software glitch where baserunners were paired ( change one, changes both) when using courtesy/pinch runners . (you can use misc > tie breaker as many times as you need in an inning too.)

With this approach..
Baaic stats seem to work! Without manual adjustment. Ie plate appearances, at bats, hits, outs, walks , runs, stolen bases, pitch counts, .think average and on base may even make sense - as much as they can for these rules.

scorecard is a mess (double printed) for players that 'reach twice' - the confused pdf scorecard, seems to be the price you pay for the special rules, the tradeoff for good play by play and stats for these 'rules' .

The isocrecast and play by play are very Understandable- assuming viewers know about the "special walk re-bat rule" ( you can add a clarifying note if need to remind them). I simulated a few plays and played them back on central viewer app w audio enabled. And could follow very well.

Scoring entry approach ...

Set up roster, game and line up as normal
score normally until a walk.. Then..

1) when a player walks, -- let them. Then,

2) Misc > adjust score .. go back a batter (minus sign)
(Iscorecast/play by play will indicate " game adjustment" and put last batter back at plate)

3) Add a Note: eg "special walk rule in effect" " batter re bats "

( adjust runners next using false tie break)

4) Misc > tie breaker ( set the base runners)
[ caution: set all bases , second base and first have to be managed too, to over ride defaults ]
( play by play will add an entry called "tie breaker in effect" and put "TB" on scorecard,)

5) Add Note: Example: " setting last out to run, and re bat last batter" (ie noy a real tie breaker)

6) Continue scorning as normal

CAVEAT
Neither of the misc > adjustments can be edited post game in pitch by pitch editor. Will need to focus and 'get them right' real time. Which should be relatively straight forward
To do.

Look Forward to hearing if this Helps!
iScore Baseball/Softball
* FAQ http://iscoresports.com//baseball/support.php
* Updated Manual http://iscoresports.com/baseball/manual.php?gd=1
* Stat Formulas http://data.iscorecentral.com/legend.ph ... internal=1
CPEM

Post by CPEM » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:33 pm

So I came here looking for something very similar. I'm in the Los Angeles area, and my daughter plays fastpitch softball. At some friendlies, on a hit-by-pitch, the offense puts a runner on 1st and the hit-batter starts her at-bat again with a 0-0 count. I had been selecting "hit by pitch" and then "skip next batter" all the way around, and putting a courtesy runner for the hit-batter, but this took a while each time since it would ask for each batter if it counts as an out. I'm going to try a few of the suggestions here. It looks like my solution might be to select "In Play > Hit By Pitch" then select a courtesy runner for the hit-batter, then "Misc > Adjust Score > Go back a batter." I'll report back if this worked for me. Thanks for the ideas!
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:24 am

@CPEM

Welcome to the forum. ..... I am glad you found this thread and hope it helps.. I also hope you will post back on your results.

i encourage you to set up a simple 'test game' and try a couple example scenarios (see below).
  • I recommend using "Misc > Adjust Score" to re set to same batter (after a HBP) and then use "Misc>Tie Breaker" to change base runner (instead of using courtesy runner, which sounds good, but as we found out with the original poster on this thread, it will cause duplicative runners if batter reaches base again (eg a HBP followed by a base hit), turns out" Misc > Tie Breaker" provides a cleaner way to change bas runners for this repeat batter situations. "

I recognize using "misc>tie breaker" rather than using "courtesy runner" may be less intuitive at first, and will take extra effort to remember while scoring live, but if you can remember to do this workaround in this situation, i think you will be much happier with the end results.
Try this simple example... (In a temporary or new test game)
  • 1) Walk the HBP batter (B1) (i.e. In Play > HBP)

2) tap "misc > adjust score" to re set batter (B1) to bat again (ie misc > adjust score > minus sign for team at bat > save).

3) Tap "misc > tie breaker" to replace base runner at first from B1 to CR (ie misc > tie breaker > touch second base and none, touch first base and then select player to run (eg CR) >save)

4) now have batter B1 reach base again (eg base hit) and you will see correct runners on base (CR# at second, B1# at first) and batter B2 ready at plate
To see the difference using courtesy runner ..
  • 1) undo back to first batter
    2) walk batter (B1) eg. In Play > HBP
    3) tap "misc > adjust score" to set B1 to bat again
    4) tap runner icon at first base, tap courtesy runner button, select player to run (CR)
    5) now have batter (B1), reach base on a base hit (e.g. In Play > base hit) and you will see CR# at first and CR# at second. (Not ideal.)
    *** notice how you could avoid the duplication in CR# on base by using "Misc > Tie Breaker" instead of "courtesy runners" to adjust base runners.
Additional Comments:
  • When using "Misc > Adjust Score", and "Misc > Tie Breaker" the program will assign stats to the right batter and right runner based on their entered actions.

Furthermore, you can use "Misc > Adjust Score", then "Misc > Tie Breaker" as many times as needed in an inning. That would be helpful, if batter got hit by pitch a second time, and if your friendly game rules had them take a third at bat.

Reminder, You will only do this workaround when a Batter Repeats her at bat, and starts with a new count, you probably want to add 'notes' after using 'MISC' menu items for clarity in the play by play description. (Example: 'Batter HBP, Gets to Bat Again, Last Out Placed on First to Courtesy Run')
Look forward to hearing back how it works for you
iScore Baseball/Softball
CPEM

Post by CPEM » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:10 am

@OhioTex:

Thanks for the info. I tried both methods last night and it happened just as you described. I also got the double-printed scorecard, which isn't that big of a deal. The main concern was to accurately record the stats for the manager to review, and to be able to do it in a quick manner that didn't involve hitting "Skip Batter" 11 or 12 times. Something to consider, though, is if the scorecard is important to you, the "Skip Batter" method does not produce a double-printed at-bat for the batter. Maybe something to consider for a future modification of the app would be to change "Skip Batter" to "Jump to a different batter" that allows you to select who is batting next.

On a side note: Something I noticed when I was trying the "Skip Batter" method over the weekend. It happened in one game in the 1st inning and I wasn't provided a lineup card for the opposing team, so I was adding them as they came up. I didn't create placeholders and was adding them from the in-game screen. This was maybe their 3rd or 4th batter, so the lineup wasn't complete yet. So, when the HBP happened, it asked for the next batter, I entered the player's jersey number, and it shows her batting, and the lineup shows her in the 5th position of the lineup. There is nobody listed after her. I tap MISC > SKIP BATTER and decline the out, and then nothing happens. It didn't jump back to the batter in the 1st lineup position, nor did it ask me to enter the next batter's (Batter 6) info. I tried it again, thinking maybe it requires 8 or 9 batters and is just counting something that isn't there, but still nothing. I tapped SKIP BATTER about 5 or 6 more times and still nothing. I had to tap UNDO an equal amount of times to get back to the batter, then I added placeholders, then I did SKIP BATTER. Probably not too many people will run into this, but I thought I'd mention it.
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:28 am

sounds like you got your main goal solved and are satisfied for now you have a manageable way to handle the HBP Re bat rule. .

yes the double scorecard is a necessary tradeoff. given the special nature of the use case involved, i suspect addressing it will not fall high on the developers priority list .

to the second paragraph, sounds like using skip batter on an incomplete line up is just not a logic the program can handle. may be lucky it did not crash all together.
iScore Baseball/Softball