Website quarrels?

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
Gamer mom

Website quarrels?

Post by Gamer mom » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:59 pm

My first thought is if you have to ask the question, then you pretty much already know the answer. ;) But, with that being said, lol, my question is..Do you have "issues" come up with your group of parents with publishing stats on your websites? Do you have parents arguing the scoring of errors? Do parents of kids with not as strong a batting average take issue with that info being made public? I really want to put a website together for our team and our coach seems to like the idea, just wondering about the personal dynamics of it.
danmcc

Re: Website quarrels?

Post by danmcc » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:09 pm

Welcome to the board.

There has been some debate on the board with clearly 2 camps of thinking. In my opinion in the end it depends on the player age and parent/team dynamics. Is the coach strong enough to tell meddling parents to pound salt when they argue their case using the stats?

IMO, Youth program websites are used by coaches not parents. For whatever reason there seems to be too much emotion at the younger age. Older players 12-13+ IMO, stats can go public. The player and parents seem more mature to deal with the data.
Gamer mom

Post by Gamer mom » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:43 pm

Thats kind of what I figured. We're just before that age group and your right, emotions tend to run high sometimes. I have no doubt our coach could deal with it, but I figure why put something unnecessary out there for him to deal with.
Camerabry

Post by Camerabry » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:32 pm

If their batting average isn't as high as they would like, then get more hits.....

The parents that are nuts and take issue with how you scored it, as long as you are consistent then tell them to go lay an egg. They are more than welcome to keep their own book where their kid hits a blooper to short, throws it to right center field and they score it as a double.
danmcc

Post by danmcc » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:36 pm

I ended up making it a coaching decision. I gave him the url and password, if he chose to distribute great, if not great.

I didn't address the op question of parents harassing the scorer re error/hit. I would welcome a certain amount of debate based on rule book discussion not emotional pleas. To end a discussion going sideways I refer them to look up MLB rules and if I am wrong I'll correct it, otherwise it's a judgement and I am fallible.
Gamer mom

Post by Gamer mom » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:29 pm

@Camerabry, LOL! And eggs it would be! We are at the age where a Fielder's Choice is not "counted as a hit" anymore, (you know what i mean) I think that will be a bit of a transition also. I'm pretty fair when it comes to charging errors, I know the difference in a mental error vs. True error, the issue becomes when two kids are involved throwing/catching a ball-thrower makes a bad throw, catcher gets a glove on it but doesn't catch it.....nobody wants it to be their kid that gets the error. Just takes a bit of diplomacy (and eggs!) is all, LOL!
Camerabry

Post by Camerabry » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:22 pm

Yeah. I guess I'm lucky because the parents on our travel ball team aren't that bad. We have one dad who thinks every play is an error if a glove touches it, but I just ignore him. I wish we had a stat for mental errors though. His kid would get so many it wouldn't even be funny.

Fielder's choice is a funny one. Do college scouts really look at an 11 year old's stats?
Gamer mom

Post by Gamer mom » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:48 pm

No, probably not, lol, but if I'm gonna do it I'm gonna do it right.
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:28 pm

shock to anyone who has read my posts.. i am in the camp of publish them.. Make the data available.

public scrutiny of the score book has a way of validating the record of the game. which is what drives the stats,
danmcc

Post by danmcc » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:18 pm

LOL, OhioTex, that would be the resounding voice from camp number 2 noted above. :)