New season

We will try and answer Questions in this forum. If you are having any issues with iScore Baseball, this is probably the best place to start. You can also search historical posts here.
abransky

New season

Post by abransky » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:47 pm

I am using iScore for anew Spring season. I would like to keep last years stats as last years and begin a new season of 2012 stats. Is that possible?
OhioTex

Re: New season

Post by OhioTex » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:50 am

Very much so!

Raw data takes up nominal space and you can keep all your past teams and games for historical access and life time players stats across different years and teams.

I have stats for about three yeartodos my kids different baseball and softball teams.. school team in spring, summer travel team , and fall/winter development games., I do not ever delete old teams or games, just use league manager to filter as needed .

Two things that help, learn to use of iscore leagues (league manager) and create a new iscore team (in team manager) for each season/team. I go the extra step and acquire annual team web sites each year.. Summerteam2010. ..summerteam2011 .. Summer team 2012...
mtcook

Post by mtcook » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:23 am

I think that I have an understanding of using the League Manager to separate last year's season with my upcoming season by naming the leagues with a year prefix (although I have 4 different leagues from last year: Varsity Games, JV Games, District Games, & Post Season games). My concern is that each team will have new rosters since they have added new players and lost graduating high school players. What is the best approach at managing players from season to season? Assigning them to the correct league by year? Also, I noticed that I can change a players status to "Inactive" under Team Manager->Roster. This might be the way to manage players that have already graduated high school. Any guidance would be appreciated.
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:41 pm

This is a very common question as we enter spring.

How best to manage players/teams/websites season to season..
(I probably should create a sticky FAQ for this but for now i will try and answer directly )

my perspective on best practice... Others can chime in..

#1a - always OPTION > EXPORT before you start to make changes on your device, so you have a back up if some thing goes wrong.

#1b - Do not delete old players/teams/games - they take up little space, and most have beed sorry they did.. (if you desire a decluttered player manager.. Use leagues to hide / filter away players you never want to see

#2 Lern leagues, they are very powerful and very helpful for multi season users
Here is a thread for more info on league usage. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1531

#3 Don't relay on marking players as "inactive" to be of much help , currently its functionality is limited around seasonality
(the idea of hiding last years seniors in some way and having visibility to historical team players has been suggested but not high priority)

#4 Create new teams each year (or each new season) and name them with some logic.. .. e.g.. Team2011, Team2012, or TeamSpring2012, TeamSummer2012, TeamName-Fall2012 (leagues likely similar too)

#4b ) When creating new team roster under Team Manager, when you add players use the pick list for returning players and only create new players for those not in iscore at all yet. (turn on All League if you need to see all the players you have in player manager)

#5 buy a new team web site each year (e.g TeamName2012) and let last years expire (e.g TeamName2011) (you only thus pay 20$/year)
(remember, the web site is paired one to one with the team name and device that made the purchase)

I suspect i am missing something, but that is my perspective on how to handle multiple teams , multiple seasons, etc.
mtcook

Post by mtcook » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:37 am

Thanks for the "best practice" information. I understand that Leagues are powerful and the way to manage between seasons and different types of game types, but creating new teams from season to season seems like it will get really "busy" on the Team Manager side of things. Example: In the 2011 season, I have 33 different teams. If I create a 2012 version of this many teams and replicate this for my son's entire high school career, I will have well near 150 teams in the Team Manager list. This seems weird and cluttered to me. Have you guys considered implementing a "season" approach so that leagues/teams/games will be separated by the actual season instead of what I consider a "work around"?? Just a thought. I love scoring in iScore, but I am finding that managing the leagues/teams/games is going to get difficult.
danmcc

Post by danmcc » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:26 am

To clear up the number of teams in team manger you would turn off other leagues. I.E. turn off 2011 season then those teams won't show up in team manager assuming you have those teams assigned to 2011.
mtcook

Post by mtcook » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:33 pm

OK, if I do this. Is there a way to import teams from the previous year into the current year or do I have to start from scratch?
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:39 pm

If the teams you are facing are the same teams, and you are not worried about the roster including players from both last year and this year, then just leave the opposing teams as they are and add any new players as needed. Add the GAMES to the correct league, but leave the teams alone. You can then run stats for the opponents from last year or this year by selecting the appropriate league. The only downside is the cumulative stats for the opponent teams will show all players on the current team roster (showing 0's for the 2012 only players when running stats for the 2011 league, and showing 0's for the 2011 only players when running stats for the 2012 league).

If they are completely new teams, and you want completely new rosters, then go ahead and create new teams for them and create the rosters. You can select existing players that are already on your device if some players have returned. iScore will maintain cumulative stats even across teams.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
mtcook

Post by mtcook » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:43 pm

What happens if I leave Team "A" alone and add new Player "1" to the team. But new Player "1" has the same jersey number as old Player "2" who has now graduated??
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:17 pm

Jersey numbers do not matter... they are just information. We keep internal IDs for each player that is on a team. Their stats would still remain separate in cumulative stats reports.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs