NHSF Softball Glove/Mitts rule

If you have any rules related questions, please ask in this forum. In general, enforcement of rules is up to the Umpire of the game and iScore does not specifically enforce them, but we want to make sure we score within them. Ask here, and experts can chime in.
ollie

NHSF Softball Glove/Mitts rule

Post by ollie » Tue May 10, 2011 6:51 pm

We're looking for clarification on the NHSF softball rule regarding fielding gloves. Can a fielder, other than the first baseman, wear a first baseman's glove? We have been unable to find a NHSF rule addressing the topic (alot about colors and patterns, but nothing about the type of gloves) I know that with ISF rules, only a catcher or first baseman can wear a mitt, and in NHSF baseball there is no distinction made between fielding glove types.

Can anyone quote a rule for me?
OhioTex

Re: NHSF Softball Glove/Mitts rule

Post by OhioTex » Wed May 11, 2011 4:00 am

I assume you mean High School Rule (NFHS). If so here is the relevant rule to look at for NFHS Softball (rev 2010, b/c do not have 2011 handy, but suspect same)

I would interpret this to mean if of legal dimensions for a first baseman, any fielder can use. be sure the first baseman mit is within the size specs or you may loose it for 1B also.
2010 NFHS Softball Rules

Rule 1 - Field and Equipment

SECTION 4 GLOVES/MITTS

ART. 1 . . . Gloves/mitts shall be worn by all fielders. The glove/mitt worn by the catcher may be any size.

ART. 2 . . . Gloves/mitts may be a maximum of two colors unless judged by the umpire to be distracting. Glove lacing and manufacturer’s logo are not considered one of the two colors permitted. Glove lacing may be any color other than that of the ball. A glove/mitt worn by players that is entirely gray, white or optic in color is illegal. A gray, white or optic colored circle on the outside or inside of the glove/mitt that gives the appearance of a ball or is judged to be dis- tracting by the umpire, is illegal. One American flag (2 inch x 3 inch maximum) is permitted on the glove/mitt.

ART. 3 . . . The glove/mitt worn by all fielders except the catcher shall conform to the following maximum specifications (See Diagram 4):
a. Height measured from the bottom edge or heel straight up across the cen- ter of the palm to a line even with the highest point of the glove/mitt: 14 inches
b. Width of palm measured from the bottom edge of the webbing farthest from the thumb in a horizontal line to the outside of the little finger edge of the glove/mitt: 8 inches
c. & d. Webbing measured across the top end, or along any line parallel to the top: 53⁄4 inches

ART. 4 . . . Gloves/mitts shall not be designed or altered to create an adhesive, sticky and/or tacky surface.

ART. 5 . . . An illegal glove/mitt shall be replaced immediately (8-8-15).
ollie

Post by ollie » Wed May 11, 2011 4:32 am

thanks for your quick reply. We had an opposing coach pull this one on us. Really bad situation, we lost out 3rd baseman to injury in the 3rd inning and had to move our 1st baseman over (or last sub doesn't have the arm to thrown corner to corner). She had never played 3rd base and was nervous enough without having the opposing coach have the umpires force her to use a glove she had never worn. Then again, we were playing a conference team that haven't beaten us in 7 years.
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Wed May 11, 2011 4:43 am

i am very surprised a certified high school umpire would have done that, I can see a parent who is applying MLB standards, (MLB has different specs for infielder and first baseman). but not NFHS baseball (1-3-6) or softball (1-4-3) are similar in that only differentiates the catcher mit.

of course a state or your league could have more specific rules, but seems unlikely.

hope this helps you feel better.

rule books are cheap to buy if you need one in coaches bag.. for after a game, not during game.. umps don't generally need that in game.
ollie

Post by ollie » Wed May 11, 2011 4:55 am

we've got a few "senior" umpires down here. When we did question the ruling after the game we were told, in no uncertain terms, to worry about our scoresheet and let them deal with the rules. I've always been patient with umpires, i know they have a tough job but when you call a runner out at home when the ball ends up at the backstop, you know something's wrong.
jenny

Post by jenny » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:43 am

Found it very useful