New Baseball / Softball iScorecast using HTML 5

We will announce new product updates here along with what features are being included in the updates
cj47

Re: New Baseball / Softball iScorecast using HTML 5

Post by cj47 » Mon May 28, 2012 1:11 am

I'd just like to second this from mprusak:
mprusak wrote:
I have been thinking the same thing. I don't mind so much that it moves fast, but it does seem hard to follow, especially on outs and in-play situations.

Following balls and strikes is nice and easy. You get both a clear visual and simultaneous audio cue as to what happened (a red circle pops up and you hear "strike").

But if there is a hit, you don't get a visual (in the main screen) and the audio is more subtle, just some cheering.
When an out is made, I believe it says "out", but again, not much of a visual to go with it, the batter disappears for a second and then is replaced by another (that looks identical).

I think if the jersey colors were different for each team, this would also help too...another visual that tells me a new half inning just started.

When its moving so fast, without many pitches in between, its just difficult to take it all in.

I think it would be helpful to add some additional visuals to in-play and out events. Just adding the words "SINGLE", "WALK", "OUT", "END of INNING" across the strike zone when they occur would help. That's where your focus is as you are watching.

I admit, I haven't been able to listen to my full broadcasts because the audio drops early on, so I have had limited opportunity to fully experience it, but this has been my impression so far. And then watching the rest without any audio, makes it very difficult to follow whats happening. You see things moving and changing, but I'm not really absorbing what is happening.

If it were me, I would look at the ball/strike event and ask myself how can I make the other events just as easy to follow?

Thanks as always for listening...
I've started scoring some under-11 games with iScore and I'm hoping to convert the rest of the club to the application. People love the scorecast, but some have said they find it difficult to follow on replay. The speed is fine - but the problem is that after a strike-out, hit or walk, the batter just disappears without a clear indication as to what's happened. With a hit, the details pop up but disappear quickly and we're suddenly into the next play. I think mentally, the viewer needs to be walked through the outcome (e.g. strike-out) and the fact that there's a new batter, rather than jumping immediately from batter A's second strike to batter B's base hit without anything in between. All this should also be clear without the audio. With an example inning, this might look as follows:

=====

In the strike zone flash up "TOP OF INNING 1"

In the strike zone flash up: "NEW BATTER: Joe Smith"

<strike> => numbered blob as now

<ball> => numbered blob as now

<strike> => numbered blob as now

<strike> => numbered blob as now, then flash up "STRIKE OUT" Pause, then flash up "NEW BATTER: Fred Jones. Outs: 1"

<ball> => numbered blob as now

<hit> => flash up "SINGLE". On the pitch location screen we see "Fred Jones hits a single." as now. Pause, then in the strike zone flash up "NEW BATTER: Tom Collins. Outs: 1"

<out> => flash up "OUT". On the pitch location screen we see "Tom Collins grounds out to the pitcher Harry Adams on the throw from pitcher Harry Adams to first baseman Steve Wilson. Fred Jones advances to second." Pause, then in the strike zone flash up "NEW BATTER: Bill Dawson. Outs: 2"

<home run> => in the strike zone flash up "HOME RUN !!". On the pitch location screen we see "Bill Dawson hits a home run. Fred Jones scores. Bill Dawson scores." Pause, then in the strike zone flash up "NEW BATTER: Dave Nichols. Outs: 2"

<out> => in the strike zone flash up "OUT". On the pitch location screen we see "Dave Nichols flys out to the left fielder Tony Elliott". Pause, then flash up "SIDE RETIRED". Pause, then flash up "BOTTOM OF INNING 1" etc

=====

Another suggestion might be to have more controls on the replay - eg step forward one pitch, step backward one pitch, step forward/backward one batter.

Just my two-penn'orth (as we say here in England) - otherwise, very impressed with scorecast and the rest of the app.

Best
Chris