Problems with error reporting

If you are having an issue with iScore Baseball, please post it here and we will try and find solutions so everybody will be aware of them.
jdonato

Problems with error reporting

Post by jdonato » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:30 pm

I just score a game with the new version and I encountered problems with error reporting. In the 4th inning there was a fly ball to center, for an out, but then the CF dropped the ball and runners on 1st and 2nd advanced one base (2nd and 3rd). When asked about the runners, I advanced each one and assigned an error to CF (for each runner**). The problem is that when checking the Statistics panel, it shows 0 errors. Later on, the other team made an error (hit to CF, advanced to second on a throwing error), again it didn't show. So, instead of having a 2-9-1 to 1-3-1 game, it shows 2-9-0 to 1-3-0.

Please help. I am exporting the info to your servers (game is 4/6/09 NY Mets at Cincinnati Reds)

Thanks

**Is this the way to score an error where two or more players advance from the same error?
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Problems with error reporting

Post by FTMSupport » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:54 pm

We will have our developers look into this one and get back to you with an answer.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:07 pm

OK... we have looked into this, and the issue is that we are not counting "runner" related errors in the box score. We are only counting "batter" related errors. We will make this a top priority fix for the next update.

To answer your second question, yes, this would be the right way to score the runners advancing.

Thank you.
jdonato

Post by jdonato » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:19 am

Thanks!!!
As always you guys are great and incredibly FAST!!!
sportsdoc

Post by sportsdoc » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:22 am

This issue came up once in another program I used. In their software you could advance a runner on a play such as that described above. I think that there was a button for advanced by error. You would credit the error to a fielder and as you advanced the other runners it would ask you if this error had already been recorded.
Answer yes, obviously no additional errors were credited. FYI.

Doc
jdonato

Post by jdonato » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:47 pm

Yes, that is exactly my fear. I don't want to assign 2 errors to the same player. I also used another program in another platform (maybe the same one?) that did what you describe: asked if the second runner advancing was part of the same play of the error already recorded.

As long as iScore credit just one error per play. (It sure is very uncommon when a player commits 2 errors in the same play).
jdonato

Post by jdonato » Thu May 28, 2009 5:02 pm

jdonato wrote:Yes, that is exactly my fear. I don't want to assign 2 errors to the same player. I also used another program in another platform (maybe the same one?) that did what you describe: asked if the second runner advancing was part of the same play of the error already recorded.

As long as iScore credit just one error per play. (It sure is very uncommon when a player commits 2 errors in the same play).
OK, it happened.

Players on third and first. Runner on first steals 2nd base. Catcher commits and error on the throw. Runner on third scores. Runner on second advances to third.

How I score:
Click Runner on First- Safe at Second- Stolen base.
Click on runner on third- Safe at Home- Error- Catcher
Dilemma: If I click runner on second- Safe at Third- Error, it will assign 2 errors to the catcher on the play!!! If I click Safe at third- Held Up it will score as Advanced by batter.

Obviously, although this second option will not assign errors and, in numbers, will be okay, if I want to analyze game later, I have erroneous info, as there is no advance by batter in the play, just two players that advanced on the same error.

As sportsdoc commented, other apps ask you if the error you are advancing the second base-to-third base runner on is the same error already recorded for the previous advance of the runner from third to home.

How to proceed? Is this something that will get fixed for the next version?

Thinking of it, maybe I will have to go back and check the play that was commented when this topic was opened, since now I think I will have 2 errors on tha play also....
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Thu May 28, 2009 6:23 pm

I believe this can be addressed with the new "Advance on Throw" that will be part of 1.70. The lead runner would be marked with Error, and the trailing runner would advance on throw. Do you think that would solve the issue for your scoring? or do you think something more will be needed?
jdonato

Post by jdonato » Thu May 28, 2009 7:50 pm

FTMSupport wrote:I believe this can be addressed with the new "Advance on Throw" that will be part of 1.70. The lead runner would be marked with Error, and the trailing runner would advance on throw. Do you think that would solve the issue for your scoring? or do you think something more will be needed?
I still believe I should be able to specify how he advanced, if it was an error or something else. Let's say, for discussion purposes, there's runners on first and second. Pitcher tries to pick off runner on second and throws the ball to center field (error). Runners advance on the error to third and second. Runner at third tries to score, center fielder throws home, runner on second takes advantage of the throw and goes to third. I should not see advance on throw when runner went from first to second and the same thing when he got to third, as if it was a continuos play. If I were to analyze the game later in the week I would have a hard time trying to figure out how a player advanced 2 bases on a throw.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am really hooked with the app and grateful for your efforts, but if i could have it my way, I would love to be able to click player originally on second and select advanced to third- error, then click player on first and click- advance to second- error, and have the app ask "Is this the same error?" with Yes or No options...

Thanks for listening (reading) :)
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Thu May 28, 2009 8:24 pm

OK, we will keep this in mind when updating our methods for entering compound plays. There are going to be some things that are not necessarily obvious in the scorebook, but you should be able to read the pitch by pitch / play by play, and understand exactly what happened.

Thank you.