Left on Base (LOB and LOBi) statistic (resolved)

If you are having an issue with iScore Baseball, please post it here and we will try and find solutions so everybody will be aware of them.
Kid-dude

Left on Base (LOB and LOBi) statistic (resolved)

Post by Kid-dude » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:52 pm

Moderator note: Original Post title "Left on base not reporting correctly". change to "Left on Base (LOB & LOBi) Statistic" as topic evolved over time and refines search keywords

I scored a couple games and the LOB (left on base) seems wrong. My son stuck out with bases loaded and has not LOB, but a player who was 3 for 3 has LOB?

Team LOB should be the number left on base at the end of the inning, but individual LOB is how many a player leaves on during his at bats...this needs to be fixed.

Teams is right, individual is wrong. They do not equal each other by the way.

Thanks
Last edited by OhioTex on Thu May 11, 2017 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Left on base not reporting correctly

Post by FTMSupport » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:52 pm

In our statistics, LOB on an individual means that individual was Left on Base at the end of an inning. It does not mean they left runners on base.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
Jasperbhouse

Post by Jasperbhouse » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:00 am

Hi,

I have to agree with kid-dude here? Should be te number of runners a batter left on base. What would the use be of LOB otherwise?
Kid-dude

Post by Kid-dude » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:20 am

I figured out how your stat works after (that the LOB is if the person was on base at the end of the inning). It was a bit misleading. It would be nice to have a batter LOB where you can see how many runners were stranded (total) and how many in scoring position. That is a hand calculation now with this software.
PetroGuy

Post by PetroGuy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:21 am

Jasperbhouse wrote:I have to agree with kid-dude here? Should be te number of runners a batter left on base. What would the use be of LOB otherwise?
I don't think it is a great stat for the individual, but it is helpful for a coach when looking at the lineup. If you have certain players who are getting on base and either not getting moved into scoring position or scored by later batters, then it can show up with this stat.
Check out the iScore documentation page!
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:40 am

If this was an indication of a player leaving runners on base, it does not really make sense. If there is a runner on first base with no outs, and the next batter walks, didn't he technically leave the runner on base as well? Or even if he got a hit, and the runner advanced to third, didn't he technically leave the runner on base?

It does not really apply to an individual --- the LOB stat you are asking about is a team stats for how many runners are left on base at the end of an inning. A single player can not leave a runner on base at the end of an inning unless he happened to make the last out of the inning, but even then, it is not fair to assign that to just him. In the case of a runner on third with no outs, and three players come up and strike out, they all left the runner on base, but the LOB for the inning is 1. It would not be right to assign that to a single player, and it is also not right to assign it to all three players (e.g. a player with a walk is also technically stranding the runner).

It really sounds like what you are looking for is the averages with Runners in Scoring Position which we already report on.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Kid-dude

Post by Kid-dude » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:14 am

Not to beat a dead horse. There are tons of run producing stats including Batting Average with Runners in Scoring Position, Batting Average with Runners in Scoring Position and less than 2 outs, and LOB.

My understanding from our HS coach is Individual LOB is about chances. You come to the plate with people on base and do you score them, advance them, get on base yourself or make an out. It is really about does a batter make outs in these critical situations. Let's say the first two people get on base in an inning (first/second, first/third, second/third) then the next batters all share the responsibility of trying to move or score the runners. Hits/Walks do not strand the runner, it is a measure of outs.

Player A and Player B get on base.
Player 1 strikes out. Individual LOB == 2.
Player 2 pops out. Individual LOB == 2.
Player 3 bunts, gets on when there's no play. Bases loaded.
Player 4 grounds out, end of inning. Individual LOB == 3.
Team LOB == 3, even though Individual LOB == 7.
Individual "Left On Base" is purely a function of the state of base runners when a given batter ends his plate appearance by making an out (if no out is made then you don't compute the Individual LOB). Team LOB is runners left at the third out of an inning.

I am not making a stink...the HS coach asked me for the stat of "Johnny" since he said it seemed he left a lot of people on base in a game (which he did). I did not quite understand LOB as you had assigned them. In the example at the end of the game Player 1 could have made "outs" with people on base several times...in the example above Player 3 did not. Let's be honest baseball has stats 7-ways to Sunday and coaches value one or another based on preference but often they tell the same story a different way. I can hand compute them for him if he wants them.
Kid-dude

Post by Kid-dude » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:50 pm

Thanks for adding this stat!
alfredalfred

Post by alfredalfred » Wed May 11, 2016 3:08 am

I scored a couple games and the LOB (left on base) seems wrong. My son stuck out with bases loaded and has not LOB, but a player who was 3 for 3 has LOB?
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Wed May 11, 2016 9:24 am

(note post updated with additional detail, as google pulls up for reference)

iScores has Two types of left on base stats, team LOB and individual LOBi ..
MLB defines them herehttp://m.mlb.com/glossary/standard-stats/left-on-base

LOB .. Team... Is basically baserunner 'stranded' at end of an inning. it is the the team total in iscore scoreboard, and what used to "prove" a boxscore/scorebook ( sometimes also call pitcher LOB, ) MLB game Day box score, lists Team LOB after the player stat lines, as Team LOB

LOBi - individual , is basically as a batter how many baserunners you left on base after an out produced from your at bat ( note: in iscore, this is not per PA or AB , but a hybrid. LOBi = 0, if batter reaches base safely (by hit or by error or by walk, or HBP, CI, d3K ) and LOBi = # runners stranded on base after players at bat created the out (by strike out, ground out, fly out, but also by sac fly and sac bunt, and Fielders choice). Note: MLB in GameDay Box score, lists LOBi number in each players individual stat line under the column header LOB (not LOBi, sorry). LOBi and LOB do not have to equal, and usually LOBi > LOB.

NOTE: LOB3, While on the topic, I have seen other boxscores credit the player stat line with LOB in a third way, call it LOB3. Batter stat line is credited with "LOB" only when last batter of inning, creating third out. In this usage, LOB3 = runners left on base when batter created last out of inning. I think this is used because it then adds up to LOB team. and assigns contribution by batter. I personally prefer LOB and LOBi as done by iScore. ( I am not advocating LOB3, just mention as others may run across that treatment)

P.S note the thread started before iscore had two LOB stats, iscore originally had only LOB but input from this thread prompted the addition of the LOBi stat in iscore
Last edited by OhioTex on Thu May 11, 2017 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
iScore Baseball/Softball
* FAQ http://iscoresports.com//baseball/support.php
* Updated Manual http://iscoresports.com/baseball/manual.php?gd=1
* Stat Formulas http://data.iscorecentral.com/legend.ph ... internal=1