Editing player lineup after game started

If you are having an issue with iScore Baseball, please post it here and we will try and find solutions so everybody will be aware of them.
nkcaump

Editing player lineup after game started

Post by nkcaump » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:17 pm

Had iScore crash twice tonight... but successfully work once... here's the situation.

Made a quick roster for our game tonight - the lineup only had first names on it - no numbers - and then in the second inning, went back and wanted to put the numbers in. Went to MISC > SHOW LINEUP and then clicked on one of the players to begin editing.

The first time, iScore crashed. I simply went back in and started scoring the game again. (takes about 30 seconds to completely get back to where I was.) Tried it again at the bottom of the inning and it worked fine - I edited about 6 of the players before I had to start scoring the game again. Tried it again at the top of the next inning and iScore crashed. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

I did get the rest of the numbers updated the next half-inning - but wanted to report this crash in case you need a crash report off of my device. It wasn't totally repeatable, but had a 50% success rate tonight.

I am on a jailbroken iPhone 3G with 16 GB of space. Running iScore version 2.02.11

LOVE the program!!!! Thanks for any help you can provide.

--Chris
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Editing player lineup after game started

Post by FTMSupport » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:41 pm

Thanks for the detailed report.

One thing you may want to make sure you do before starting to score a game, especially if you are not using OS 3.1, is to actually power off completely before starting to score. This will make sure you are starting with all available memory.

We HAVE seen issues with jailbroken iPhones and the database. We had 2 customers that could not run iScore at all with a jailbroken device until they "un-jailbroke" (is that the way it would be worded?) the device, then things worked fine.

We don't do anything specifically to prevent iScore from working on a jailbroken device, but we think we have narrowed it down to some jailbroken systems having different version of SQLite running (maybe they don't get updates from Apple??). We have found several posts on the internet in this regard.

We think we may have a way to get around this issue by actually embedding a fixed version of SQLite in iScore instead of depending on the version built into the OS, and we intend for our next release to include an embedded version. Hopefully that will address the issue.

We don't know if there are updated versions of jailbroken OS's that work better/worse than others. If people have specific versions that they know work well, maybe they can post that here.

(On a side note, we know Apple does not support jailbroken devices, so we can't officially support them either, but we also know there are legitimate reasons people have for jailbreaking their device... there are some great applications out there that Apple won't approve for one reason or another... we will do our best to address issues that arise on jailbroken devices, but it won't always be easy.)

Thank you.
nkcaump

Post by nkcaump » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:38 am

Great reply. Thanks. It wasn't a deal breaker... just kind of an "oh sh**" moment when it's the middle of a game and you're staring at your dock. Opened right back up.

I plan on un-jailbreaking in a week or two and I'll see if I can recreate the error then. That makes sense about the MySQL deal.

And if there are any lurkers from Cupertino in here concerned about my jailbroken phone... (jedi voice) - There's nothing to see here... move along... (/jedi voice)
Chapin3

Post by Chapin3 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:26 pm

This happens to me. I have updated Iphone software (3.1) on a non-jailbroken iphone. I do it with clean memory by rebooting, but it still happens I have a friend who has a memory cleaner, and his crashes to when adding numbers to players after game has begun too.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:23 pm

We have been unable to cause a crash when adding numbers to players during a game. If anyone could provide a sequence of steps that can consistently cause a crash we would very much like to insure this problem is solved for the next release.
khaubold

Post by khaubold » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:46 pm

This happened to me this weekend (crashing when entering player info after game started) My phone is a 3G 8GB (not jail-broken). I did not power off phone prior to scoring game. Will try that next time, but our next game is 2 weeks away.

1 Our line up is in program, but I do a "quick roster" for our opponent

2 I get lineup too close to game start to input into program

3 At the first half inning I go to "Misc" then "Show starting lineup"

4 Program crashes

5 Open up program again and do #3 again and it works perfectly - no crash

Hopes this helps

Karin
reggie_hammonds

Post by reggie_hammonds » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:31 pm

That still happens to me also. I follow a ritual and still get the crash.

- Turn on "airplane" mode for phone.

- Open up MemStatus program and clean memory to get about 50% available (typically)

- Open iScore and start tracking a game

- Goto make a change in the lineup in 2nd inning or later typically (add a name, change a number, change lefty to righty)

- Boom... crashes.

Always opens back up and lets me do it the second time. Happens almost everytime but since it comes back up it's no big deal.

Before I used the MemStatus program it would not come back up.