Pitcher's ERA not calculated correctly.

If you are having an issue with iScore Baseball, please post it here and we will try and find solutions so everybody will be aware of them.
nicett

Pitcher's ERA not calculated correctly.

Post by nicett » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:50 am

I inputted a practice game. In the first inning, Pitcher A walked the first three (3) batters. Then, I sub Pitcher A with Pitcher B. He then walkee the next three (3) batters. Still no outs and the score should be 3-0.

I checked the pitching stats and Pitcher A is charged with 2 earned runs and Pitcher B is also charged with 2 runs. How can this be? All 3 runs should be charged to Pitcher A and none to Pitcher B. Is this an error in the program? Please advise
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Pitcher's ERA not calculated correctly.

Post by FTMSupport » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:47 am

Hi Nicett -

There were a few small issues that we found with some of the stats calculations. They have been addressed in the upcoming release (submitted to app store yesterday, just awaiting Apple's approval).

In fact, I just tested your exact scenario with the new release, and it correct shows 3 earned runs to Pitcher A, and 0 for Pitcher B.

Just to test, I then did a 4th walk for Pitcher B, and it shows 1 Earned run for him.

Watch here (or your App Store Updates tab) for the announcement of acceptance from Apple. It generally takes about 1 week.

Thank you.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
Phantom Sage

Post by Phantom Sage » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:53 am

In case any are interested...

I tested the commonly misinterpreted ERA calculation by which pitchers are inaccurately given an earned run in the following situation:
2 Outs, next batter walks - runner on first
next batter is on by error, runner from 1st advances to 2nd.
next batter hits a triple, scoring two runs.
next batter is forced out.
two runs score and neither of them are earned runs. Many often miss this but if the error had not occured none of the runners would have scored (since there would have been three outs) and thus are not counted as earned runs.

I did find an error though...

ERA average should be calculated based on the number of regulation innings and excluding extra innings. Therefore, if a regulation game for your division is 7 innings, the calculation is: "earned runs" * "regulation innings" / "innings pitched" In the example of a 7-inning regulation game for a pitcher who had 2 earned runs in 3 2/3 innings of work would be: 2 * 7 / 3.667, or an ERA of 3.82 (3.818182). As I test the system, although I have changed the settings to calculate based on seven innings, the calculation appears to ignore the "innings" under "game settings" and instead is likely hard coded with a "9" which is regulation for MLB.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:18 am

The ERA calculation is working the way we designed it --- always based on 9 innings. We have had a couple requests to allow changing the number used for that calcuation as seen in this thread:

http://iscore.freeforums.org/era-based- ... 9-t50.html

We have that change as an upcoming enhancement, but it is actually not correct to say that would be ERA. We will do it because our customers are requesting it, but as noted in the following link "ERA" is always calculated on 9 innings:

http://www.eracalculator.net/era-calcul ... ations.htm

The new number might be something like ERG (Earned Runs per Game), but true ERA is based on 9 innings so you can compare between leagues.

Again, we will add a calculation based on different numbers of innings because it is being asked for by our customers, but this is actually working correctly.

Thank you.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
SharkBait

Post by SharkBait » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:46 am

I think the issue here is "we want our kids to have better ERA's". As far as I'm concerned, as long as it's consistent then basing it on 9 innings is absolutely fine. It may be consistently higher but still consistent...
Phantom Sage

Post by Phantom Sage » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:04 am

That makes sense. I agree - the apples to apples is tainted when allowing the per game.

I learned something today. I guess you are never to old to learn.
nicett

Post by nicett » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:13 am

I just scored a game last night. The game finished 5-5 tie in the sixth inning (game called due to time). We were the visiting team and we used two (2) pitchers. The first pitcher allowed two (2) runs the second pitcher allowed three (3) runs. The scorecard and the statistics, however, indicate one run for the first pitcher (and 1 earned) and two runs for the second pitcher (and 2 earned) for a total of three runs. I don't know what I did wrong. Can you look at this please? I am exporting the data for your review. It is dated 4/27/09 Intl Gold (Boys09) at AllSports Orange