Updated to new version now app keeps closing.

If you are having an issue with iScore Baseball, please post it here and we will try and find solutions so everybody will be aware of them.
cactuseq

Updated to new version now app keeps closing.

Post by cactuseq » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:35 pm

Hi...i just updated the app and now the app keeps closing / crashes. I start a game...program closes. Try to select game in game manager...app closes. I have reinstalled several times and did a hard reset. Problem persists. Any ideas? Guess i should mention i am using iphone 3gs.

Thanks
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Updated to new version now app keeps closing.

Post by FTMSupport » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:57 pm

Hi cactuseq -

If you can export your database to us, and email us your customer ID (export and customer ID are both on options page), we can take a look at your database. Our email address is support@fasterthanmonkeys.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false.

We have documented elsewhere in the forum that we have now had two cases of users with "jailbroken" phones that have had weird issues as well. Does your phone happen to be jailbroken? (As noted in other threads, we do not put anything in iScore to prevent it from working on a jailbroken phone, but Apple may have started... we have no way of knowing...)

Thank you.
CaN

Post by CaN » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:19 am

Hi,

I had the new ver. crash while trying to edit an old game (using my completely legit iPod Touch 2.2). No other crashes, though.
Cary
CaN

Post by CaN » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:28 am

Uh, disregard what I just wrote: mine is crashing again. This time, following the advice to go to "game manager" and get to the "game over" screen in order to refresh data. I then follow the instructions to "exit" and go "back" to the game manager, at which point the app will crash.
Cary
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:53 am

@Cary - what you are experiencing sounds like low memory issues. This is exactly the type of behavior that occurs when memory is running low. To correct that, please see this link:

http://iscore.fasterthanmonkeys.com/faq.jsp#memory

The bottom line on this is that a lot of Apple's own programs (mail, iTunes, Safari) continue running in the background even after you close them. The "MemoryInfo" program we show in the above link shows this. They do it for performance reasons so that the next time you go back in, the applications start up quickly, but it also means they continue using memory even when you are not in them. The steps in the above link show how to make sure all memory has been cleared for anyone running into this.

as an fyi... the iPhone 3GS has double the memory of previous devices, and in our testing, we have not yet run into memory issues with a 3GS. Unfortunately, I personally use a 3G and iPod Touch for my scoring needs, and do occassionally run into those memory issues with those devices if it has been a while since a hard reset or clearing memory with the MemoryInfo program.
cactuseq

Post by cactuseq » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:49 am

Thanks for the immediate response. My iphone is 100% stock (had to look up what jailbroken phone is). I can get through a couple innings then it iscore crashes. When I attempt to access the game via Game Manager the application closes. I will export and email as you suggest.

Thanks
cactuseq

Post by cactuseq » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:27 am

Any luck?
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:35 am

Yes, we have found the issue, and are trying to come up with a solution... we will respond specifically to you in an email shorly.

It looks like there was a game where in the 4th inning, you did end inning twice in succession with no pitches. This is causing a problem. For anyone reading this, if you are going to use the end inning functionality, we would suggest you put in at least one dummy pitch (ball/strike/whatever) before ending the inning.

What is happening is iScore is looking for a record of the start of the 4th inning, but it does not exist because it was skipped completely.

We will certainly get this fixed for the next release, and are looking for a way to fix your database for you specifically.

Thank you.
cactuseq

Post by cactuseq » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:07 am

Great, thanks again for your help. I was attempting to score a game already in progress last night just to "play" with new version. Now that I think of it, I ended innings quite a few times to catch up with game I was watching live and could not open the game afterwards. Sounds like you have this figured out.
CaN

Post by CaN » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:19 am

@FTMsupport. Yep, a hard reset seems to have cleared the memory and the crashing didn't occur last time I tried to reset a game. As for that app you recommend, currently on the "lite" version is available, and it apparently is only a meter. App Store says the full version is not available in the US right now (for what ever reason).

Once again, thanks for the best customer service around: you guys could teach the bigger companies quite a thing or two!
Cary