Forum has been hacked

If you are having an issue with iScore Baseball, please post it here and we will try and find solutions so everybody will be aware of them.
brentwalker

Forum has been hacked

Post by brentwalker » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:53 pm

While reading the topic, " Out of town tournament rosters " in the FAQ section I started seeing items being downloaded in the status bar at the bottom of my browser window. Next thing I heard was audio files being played. I looked and noticed that 6 files had been downloaded (as monitored by the Real Player download monitor). All of these files begain playing slightly staggered from one another.

I closed the browser and everything stopped. I am using Safari.

So, I tried again this time using Firefox. Went back to the forum bu tthis time went to " Lineup Changes " in the FAQ. Began reading and a few minutes later the same thing happened again. Closed the browser and it all stopped.

Whats up with this? I do not need any spyware, worms, virus's coming from this form attacking my MAC.

Please advise? This makes me not want to revisit this site, especially since it is a free forum website.

Brent
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Forum has been hacked

Post by FTMSupport » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:16 pm

Chances are it is just one of the ads. We have never heard of anyone having problems with the site. It is ad-supported and hosted by freeforums.org - we do not actually have any control of the ads.

Has anyone else seen any problems?
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:14 am

I have never experienced the reported background download problem and have been in and out of this forum multiple times for months. I use the forum on both mac and pc with safari, explorer and firefox. I do not use real player.

I would agree if "Free forums" allowed such practices it would be bad for 'freeforums' business. (FTM may want to pass this observation along to them). with the exception of some annoying adds (twitter especially), I have found "free forum" to be one of the best BBs out there.. I appreciate FTM support through this forum and understand their need to keep costs down by using an ad supported forum
brentwalker

Post by brentwalker » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:49 am

Has anyone tried to read the threads originally mentioned above? I am at work now on a pc and am afraid to try it here. The downloads were happening in the background and were of the .flv extention which I think is flash. Wierd.
brentwalker

Post by brentwalker » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:51 am

Oh and by the way, I thought I was the only one that stayed up until the wee hours of the morning playing with the computer! Thanks FTM for answering so quickly.
plivengood

Post by plivengood » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:27 pm

I had a problem yesterday when I was trying to register for the forums. I was highjacked to another (apparently unrelated) site which attempted to download the PC Antispyware 2010 malware to my computer. [BTW, *never* trust PC Antispyware if you get a message/pop-up like that.]
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:05 pm

It is probably one of the ads on the site. We are looking at the possibility of moving to another host, or paying to have this message board hosted with no ads. We have been trying to keep expenses low, so have been using this free forum. It has been pretty nice for the most part, but we know the ads can be annoying... they are not ours... they come from the hosting provider and is what allows this site to be free.

We hope in the future to be able to provide an ad-free experience.