Cannot substitute the pitcher position

If you are having an issue with iScore Baseball, please post it here and we will try and find solutions so everybody will be aware of them.
Lovlla

Cannot substitute the pitcher position

Post by Lovlla » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:15 pm

I am having a recurring problem changing the pitcher position in version 1.65.08. We are using a DH and have a substitution that is not batting. In the second inning I used the substitution feature to switch the pitcher position for the short stop. The software now shows the pitcher playing both the pitcher and short stop positions. The pitching stats continue to be counted to the original pitcher. At the end of the game all the pitching stats were counted toward the pitcher that originally started the game. This condition only occurs when I attempt to change the pitcher. It does not occur with any other position.

I had this occur in another game where we also used a DH and a substitution that is not batting, the software showed the original pitcher playing both the pitcher position and the position to which he was substituted.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Cannot substitute the pitcher position

Post by FTMSupport » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:47 pm

I am not entirely sure I understand what you are saying here, but let me give it a shot.

If you are using the DH according to MLB rules (which is all we support right now --- DP/Flex where DH can be used for any position will be supported in version 1.70), and want to move the pitcher to shortstop (thus making him a batter), you would then lose the DH position for the remainder of the game. The new pitcher will have to bat in this case, and in your specific example, would be coming in to bat for the shortstop (the original pitcher has to take the DH spot in the batting order).

To make this change:

1. Click pitcher position - select new pitcher

2. Click shortstop - it brings up the substition screen.

3. Click the batting position where the DH is located, and select the original pitcher in that spot from the list, and select SS as the position

4. Click the old shortstop in the lineup (will now have a ? for position since you entered a new shortstop)

5. Select the new pitcher from the list of players (the new pitcher is replacing the shortstop), and select P as the position.

6. Click save

You will now be in "non-DH" mode for the remainder of the game as specified by MLB rules, and the new pitcher will be credit with pitching stats from that point forward.

Let us know if this answers your question.

Thank you.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
Lovlla

Post by Lovlla » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:55 am

Still cannot make ANY substitution for the pitcher.

We have 11 players. I have isolated the problem to a specific situation. If I have 2 subs that do not bat - no problem, I can sub for the pitcher position. If I have two kids listed as DH (everyone bats) - no problem, I can sub for the pitcher position. But, if I list 1 player as a DH and 1 player as a sub (not batting) I cannot make ANY sub for the pitcher. I cannot switch the pitcher with another player on the field, I cannot switch the pitcher for the sub currently on the bench, I cannot switch the pitcher with the DH ( which we are not permitted to do but I tried it anyway).

I hope that explains the problem better.
Double D

Post by Double D » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:30 pm

I have the same problem and I have had it more than once. The strange problem is that it happened at the same place when I scored a game. So I scored it again from the book and it gave me the same problem at the exact same place. So I tried all kinds of things that didn't work. I then tapped on the pitcher and removed all the players from their positions and hit PLAY. Then went back in and reset all the positions. The only problem is it blanked out all the first pitchers pitches. So I had to rescore it a third time. Now I guess the third time is a charm. Once I got to the place in the game where the pitcher changed, I blanked all player positions and then put them back in the way I wanted them changed. This worked and I was able to finish scoring the game and getting the proper stats.

Explain that one!!
Lovlla wrote:I am having a recurring problem changing the pitcher position in version 1.65.08. We are using a DH and have a substitution that is not batting. In the second inning I used the substitution feature to switch the pitcher position for the short stop. The software now shows the pitcher playing both the pitcher and short stop positions. The pitching stats continue to be counted to the original pitcher. At the end of the game all the pitching stats were counted toward the pitcher that originally started the game. This condition only occurs when I attempt to change the pitcher. It does not occur with any other position.

I had this occur in another game where we also used a DH and a substitution that is not batting, the software showed the original pitcher playing both the pitcher position and the position to which he was substituted.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:45 pm

We believe the issue is that people are using "DH" for a player that bats but is not actually a designated hitter for anyone. The "DH" designation is intended for being the designated hitter for a pitcher as described in MLB rules.

If you just have "Extra Hitters" (players that are batting but not playing a field position), you should not designate them as a "DH". Just mark them as "Out" for their defensive position (i.e. they are not playing the field), but "Yes" for Batting. You can have any number of Extra Hitters in your lineup using this method, and it will not cause these problems.

If you have both a Pitcher and DH in your lineup, both with Batting=YES, this can cause issues as a DH can only be used for a pitcher, and having a "DH" in your lineup puts iScore in a "pitcher substitution" mode.

In the upcoming release, we are implementing DP/Flex rules which allow you to have a DH for any position, but Extra Hitters (i.e. all position players are batting, and you have additional batters as well) would still not be designated as a DH --- they would be marked as "Out" for their defensive position, and Batting=YES.

We hope this clears up some confusion.

Thank you.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
Lovlla

Post by Lovlla » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:35 pm

I deleted the original game and started over. This time I set my Extra Hitter up as “Batting=Yes” and the fielding position as OUT. That did solve the problem. Now I can substitute the pitcher.

Thanks for the help !! :D