Strange happenings...

If you are having an issue with iScore Baseball, please post it here and we will try and find solutions so everybody will be aware of them.
sportsdoc

Strange happenings...

Post by sportsdoc » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:34 pm

Greetings,

1) Just downloaded your program today (v1.01.06). Have been playing with it and unfortunately it has crashed 3 times in the past hour. Once when I tried to edit a name in the roster. After the magnifier showed up, I could not type or move it to a different location within the word.

2) No data was been lost during the above crashes. In fact, there has actually been some data inserted. There was an extra line under the team listings that appeared to be an unlisted team. There was a team I entered above and below this line. During one game, the program asked me what happened to the player "JD Bushfeld" who was on first. A) I never entered this name in the roster. B) He was never on first (or even in the game, as i was scoring the first batter of the inning.)

3) I notice that when I add a new player, the screen that list the existing players shows numerous symbols dan letters on the very right hand side of the screen. From top to bottom they are: + B C E G J K O P S U W. They do not scroll with the names in the roster. They do disappear when a new screen appears and return if I go back to the previous screen.

I'm happy to see this program come to the iPhone as I have been using a program called Scorepad (scorepad.com) on a Palm for some time now, but they have no desire to develop for the Mac. Hopefully the bugs will be worked out soon. Happy to do what i can to make that happen.

Doc
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Strange happenings...

Post by FTMSupport » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:43 pm

If you can export your database to us, we would love to look and see what has happened. This can be done by clicking the Options button from the main menu, then clicking export. When you get the export completed successfully message, please send us an email at support@fasterthanmonkeys.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false letting us know you have exported your database, and include the name of one of the games or teams so we can be sure we are looking at the right database. We will investigate the issue and email you back.

Thank you very much.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:17 pm

#2 The extra line in your team list is a safety feature. If the program crashes for any reason while you are entering a new team, a blank team with the roster you were working on will show up in the team list when you restart. If you simply give that blank team the name of the team you were working on, you should be good to go. This is done so that all the work you've done in entering a roster is not lost

#3 is actually not a bug it's a feature. Its kind of an index to quickly reach any of the players. You'll notice that all your players are arraigned and grouped in alphabetical order.
The letters along the right are the first letters of all the names of your players. Clicking on a letter will jump you to that section of the list. Letters only show up for existing names so if you dont have any players with the first letter Z then Z will not show up along the right hand side.
sportsdoc

Post by sportsdoc » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:41 am

FTMSupport wrote:#3 is actually not a bug it's a feature. Its kind of an index to quickly reach any of the players. You'll notice that all your players are arraigned and grouped in alphabetical order.
The letters along the right are the first letters of all the names of your players. Clicking on a letter will jump you to that section of the list. Letters only show up for existing names so if you dont have any players with the first letter Z then Z will not show up along the right hand side.
I actually thought of that after I wrote this. One of my "Duh" moments. Sorry.

2 things that I noticed last night:

1) JD Bushford showed up again on first base and shouldn't have.

2) I substituted a pitcher for the visiting team by touching that position and selecting a new pitcher from the roster that popped up from the bottom of the screen. This was done with 1 out in the bottom of the 6th inning. The game ended after the top of the 7th. When I looked at the stats, the pitcher was listed as 'unknown'. The final 2 outs were correctly attributed to him. All other stats looked OK.

Enjoy your Easter.
Doc
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:05 am

Hi Doc.

We thought of one other possibility here. Are you entering more than one player in any of your positions in the lineup, but have one player marked as Batting, and the other not? (i.e. two people marked as playing 1B, but one is batting and the other isn't.)

We have an issue where when that happens, it can sometimes cause issues like you have seen.

In the upcoming release, we do not allow multiple players to be assigned to a position, but in the current release (1.01.06 or before), we do allow it, and it can cause problems.

If this is the case, to avoid this happening in future games, make sure only one player is assigned to each fielding position before starting a game. All other players should be marked as "Out" (as in sitting out on defense). It will still allow more than 9 batters if you want (youth leagues), but let's iScore know that a player is not currently in the field.

NOTE: The reason you can't have a player listed in a position he "usually" plays while marked as Not Batting is because there are cases where a player is not batting, but actually IS in the field. Designated Hitter is an example of this... you could have a DH for a pitcher, and the pitcher would actually be marked with position "P", but NO for batting. The player IS in the game, just not a batter.
sportsdoc

Post by sportsdoc » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:21 pm

I understand what you are saying. I may have made a false assumption in that I assumed if you substituted a player that the person leaving the game would have been marked as 'out' when substituted for. Maybe the next version will take this into account if you can't have 2 players in the same position. If not, maybe this is another enhancement item that would automatically change the player to 'out' if he is substituted for.

Thanks. I'll try to pay closer attention to this.

Doc
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:39 pm

Yes, the next version prevents you from having the same position twice in your lineup.

Thank you.
EagleDad

Post by EagleDad » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:30 am

I had some similar experiences as well. I was late to the game but I had most of the players for our team setup so I sat next to the official scorer to catch up on the lineups and stats.

I did not have our hitting lineup in the correct order before our team started to bat, so I went into the lineup to change. Unfortunately the batter that was up before changing the lineup was still up after changing the order. I just skipped batter until I got to the right one.

I missed another batter later on and tried to correct by using the undo function and it seemed to work until the at bat ended and we went into the field. All the field positions were gone. I may have had two players at the same position, but I was trying to substitute the 2 players in question.

At one point during the game the app crashed and I had to re-enter. Once I got back in the field positions were back.

Also during the game I tried to go back and correct a mistake where I missed an out and could not get back to the right player that was out so I tried to just add an out, but I was forced to add the out on a player that was still on base.

I exported my data if you want to take a look.

Even with the problems I faced this app is the best baseball scoring app for the iphone period!

You guys are awesome!

Thank you for all you do!
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:57 am

Hi EagleDad -

Changing the lineup after the game has started is a known issue, and one we have tried to tell people not to do, but that message gets lost among many others in the forum.

That being said, we have found that there are several situations where you just have to change it (arriving late like in your case, accidentally entering players backwards, or skipping a player, etc). So... in the release we just submitted to the App Store yesterday, lineup changes are now allowed at any time during the game.

The lineup is still the "original" batting order, so when you change the lineup, you are changing the original. Subsequent substitutions should still be done through the substitution process (not on the lineup), and the new release actually has an improved method of doing substitutions as well (allowing easy double switches, pinch runners, etc). It also prevents having two players at the same position.

Thank you again for using iScore.
EagleDad

Post by EagleDad » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:54 am

I tried looking through the other posts and must have missed the substitution issue.

Hey, No worries! You have a fix waiting on apple approval and I can work around meanwhile.

Thank you so much!

You are the most responsive software developers I've dealt with, ever!