Not sure what to call this

If you are having an issue with iScore Baseball, please post it here and we will try and find solutions so everybody will be aware of them.
cherrybomb

Not sure what to call this

Post by cherrybomb » Mon May 25, 2009 1:48 am

I create a new game. First team, visitors. after naming, create roster. Come out of roster, a little muddled, and instead of next I go back. Only takes me to the team page (team name, manager, roster). I cannot get back to the game I am in the process of creating to add the home team. After going back and forward a couple of times (when I go back into the team roster that I have created, I have no option to save) I try and go into the game manager. choose my daughter's team, and touch team stats - nothing happens. Wait a bit, thinking it is slow, then quit app and try again. On the third (I think) try the app quits, I am back out to the home page of my ipod. This has happened to me more than once since I upgraded.
rkenning

Re: Not sure what to call this

Post by rkenning » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:29 am

I have found this app unforgiving if the teams and rosters are not created first. I too have had it bomb or lock up if I add players during a game or make a quick reorder of the line-up for the current player at bat as you are always attempting to catch up to the managers last minute changes.

The only solution that I have found that is less buggy is to create the teams and rosters before creating the game even using the quick roster option if necessary. If I have time, I'll account for the player names and numbers as well as positions. So, before creating the game, you must have a team and roster created first.

Hopefully, the iScore developers will do more extensive testing of their software to determine how these bugs occur when the game is created prior to creating the teams and rosters.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:44 am

The suggested approach as shown in the training videos at http://iscore.fasterthanmonkeys.com/training.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for scoring a game where you don't know who is on the other team is to use Quick Roster. If you have not watched those videos, it is definitely worth the time to do so.

If you are experiencing crashes, if you can send us steps to reproduce the crash, we would love to know what they are. iScore has been thoroughly tested. If your crashes are intermittent and not reproducible, chances are they are memory issues as we have documented in many places (see this link as well http://iscore.fasterthanmonkeys.com/faq.jsp#memory" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

What version of the iPhone OS are you using? If you are using a jailbroken OS, there are known issues with that. We are trying to come up with ways to make iScore run on a jailbroken device, but since Apple does not support doing that, it makes it quite a challenge. If you are using iPhone OS 3.0.x, there are memory issues in that version of the OS and you should immediately upgrade to OS 3.1 (this is a general iPhone OS issue, not an iScore issue --- you will get improvements in every application).
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:51 am

cherrybomb - the post by cherrybomb (may 09) was on an earlier version of iscore pre 2.0, with version 2.0, iscore has been updated in number of ways to make creating teams, quicker, easier and more stable.

rkenning,-i agree, the need to be flexible with setting up teams and rosters is key for little league games. adn i have found iscore does it better than any other program of this type i have used.

With iscore 2.02.11, (on non jailbroke iphone and itouch, using apple OS 3.01) i have been able to score numorous games without any crash, the basic method i use to set up a team, as i go is as follows...

GAME MANAGER> PLUS SIGN > NEW TEAM (fill in name, mgr, leagues) > QUICK ROSTER (fill in number, batters etc)> CREATE > SAVE > (repeat for second team) > (game options)> DONE.

This has worked great to get started, then in the game i refine by..

using Misc Button > Edit line up to edit the names and numbers on players at any time, generally as they come to bat. I can also add a player if the come late or remove if they do not show (before they bat around and lock the line up

i set the positions they play in the field, with the substitution function, before the game, between innings, and in inning by clicking on fielder icon (white circle with number)

hope this helps, .. also FTM has been very repsonsive to bugs that are discovered that cause crahses and expedited with apple bug fixes.
rkenning

Post by rkenning » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:50 pm

Dear FTMSupport,

The bug I was referring to was when I had to add a player into the line up so he would appear at bat. I added the player via the misc option, then moved him up in the line-up so he would appear at bat. When I returned to scoring, it bombed.
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:28 pm

rkenning wrote:Dear FTMSupport,
The bug I was referring to was when I had to add a player into the line up so he would appear at bat. I added the player via the misc option, then moved him up in the line-up so he would appear at bat. When I returned to scoring, it bombed.

Assuming you have not batted around the entire order yet, and 'locked in the line up' - you should be able to do that . I have scored number of games and had to do that.
Given you post, I have tried to replicate this crash - but can't. Does it still happen after a hard re set to clear the memory? can you repeat it with regularity? Has anyone else had this problem . ? hmmm
rkenning

Post by rkenning » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:17 am

[highlight=#FFBF00]OhioTex,

Looks like this may be the culprit.

jdonato wrote: Subj: The Holy Grail: Accurately Recording iScore Events

rkenning,

I also have a classic, or first generation iPhone. ..., I used to experience unexpected exits a lot, and found that, when I am going to score a game, I turn off the iPhone completely (by holding the top button and then sliding the screen when it asks), then turn the phone back on. This has eliminated the unexpected exits. I can score games and not experience a single crash. ...
[/highlight]
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:18 pm

Jdanato is correct.
always a good ideas to power all the way down before scoring a game to 'clear' the memory.