Scoring plays with multiple advances

If you are having an issue with iScore Baseball, please post it here and we will try and find solutions so everybody will be aware of them.
jdonato

Scoring plays with multiple advances

Post by jdonato » Fri May 22, 2009 1:26 pm

Hi
Is there a way (that I am missing) to score the following:

Runners on first and third. 2 outs.
Batters hits and infield hit, fielded by the third base. Runners advanced one base (third to home, first to second)
Trying to make the play, third baseman commits a throwing error.
Runner from second is out at home trying to score. Third out

Right know I score:
In play- Hit single. Runner from third scores, advanced by batter.
And now the problem is: There is no way to capture everything else in one play. "Out" won't let me score the error. So what I do is score "Safe" at Third, Error, mark the player that commits the error, and then, click on this runner (now at third) and select "Out" and mark the defensive players (in this case 3-2).

The problem with this is:
First: Scoreboard marks the advance from first to second as E5 (also from second to third) This advance should be marked "by batter" and the ones from second to home by E5.
Second: Scoreboard shows the last out of the inning made while the next player is at bat, which of course is not true, next batter never made it.

How to solve this? Am I missing another obvious solution? I have always believe iScore should not let the next batter be part of the play until he is pitched to, but this is not how it works, and I don't know if it could be easily changed in programming. Any ideas?
CoachJoe

Re: Scoring plays with multiple advances

Post by CoachJoe » Fri May 22, 2009 3:16 pm

Based on this senaro I don't think there would be an error on the play. Below is an excerpt of the rules for scoring an error. Since it resulted in an out and there was no benefit to the offecive team. I would just record the out at home.

10.12 Errors
An error is a statistic charged against a fielder whose action has assisted the team on offense, as set forth in this Rule 10.12.
(a) The official scorer shall charge an error against any fielder:
(1) whose misplay (fumble, muff or wild throw) prolongs the time at bat of a batter, prolongs the presence on the bases of a runner or permits a runner to advance one or more bases, unless, in the judgment of the official scorer, such fielder deliberately permits a foul fly to fall safe with a runner on third base before two are out in order that the runner on third shall not score after the catch;

Let me know if you agree or if you can find any other example of why this may be scored as an error under rule 10.12.
jdonato

Post by jdonato » Fri May 22, 2009 4:56 pm

Hi CoachJoe

This was an MLB scored play. (I am not assuming they do not fail ;) )
What I think happened is that, since the runner was on first and advanced by batter to second, the error was charged because it allowed the runner to safely get to third. That should have ended the play. But then the out was made because the runner got "greedy" and tried to score. At least that is the logic I see on that play...
jdonato

Post by jdonato » Mon May 25, 2009 8:12 am

While waiting for an answer on the one above, here's another one:

Runners at First and second.
Batter hits a single
Runner from second scores, outfielder throws home.
Runner from first goes to third on the throw.

Problem:
I score In Play, Hit single, runner from second "Safe" at Home, Advanced by batter.
But, what to do with runner on first? I want to click Advanced by batter to second base, then Defensive indiference to third (although I insist we should have an "On throw" option, since technically this was not DI). If I click DI, this is not what happened, no player should advance 2 bases on DI, unless the team on defense is very bad or very asleep. But if I click Advance by batter, then I won't be able to analyze the game correctly, and give advise to outfielders, since it appears as if the outfielder didn't have a choice (throw 3rd and held the runner at second, or throw home try to make the out). If I Advanced by batter to second, the only way to advanced the runner to third is clicking the runner after the play, and it could get credited to the at bat of the next player, which is not correct.

Although this play does not have a critical impact to the scoring in general, I still can't find a correct way to score this. I think we should have an option to assign more "advances" in a play before credit goes, erroneously, to the next batter. Is there an easy fix for this? Please advise....

Please
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Mon May 25, 2009 10:01 am

We have added runners advancing by "On the Throw" to the 1.70 release.

For the first issue, the scorecard can only display one set of "touches" in a single box right now. Internally, you can score as many sets of touches as the complex plays allowed, and things will be handled correctly for statistics, etc... but the scorecard only displays the last set of touches for any given batter.

This too will be addressed in 1.70.

Thank you.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
Ducatiky

Post by Ducatiky » Wed May 27, 2009 4:40 am

jdonato wrote:Hi
Is there a way (that I am missing) to score the following:

Runners on first and third. 2 outs.
Batters hits and infield hit, fielded by the third base. Runners advanced one base (third to home, first to second)
Trying to make the play, third baseman commits a throwing error.
Runner from second is out at home trying to score. Third out

Right know I score:
In play- Hit single. Runner from third scores, advanced by batter.
And now the problem is: There is no way to capture everything else in one play. "Out" won't let me score the error. So what I do is score "Safe" at Third, Error, mark the player that commits the error, and then, click on this runner (now at third) and select "Out" and mark the defensive players (in this case 3-2).

The problem with this is:
First: Scoreboard marks the advance from first to second as E5 (also from second to third) This advance should be marked "by batter" and the ones from second to home by E5.
Second: Scoreboard shows the last out of the inning made while the next player is at bat, which of course is not true, next batter never made it.

How to solve this? Am I missing another obvious solution? I have always believe iScore should not let the next batter be part of the play until he is pitched to, but this is not how it works, and I don't know if it could be easily changed in programming. Any ideas?
You scored it correctly under the framework of Iscore. The error had to be charged as the runner going to 3rd would not have advanced had the throwing error not been made. The fact that the software advanced the runner to second via error would be a bug, because you entered 1st to 2nd as advanced by batter but it went to the second value you entered when he went 2nd to 3rd and overwrote the first value.

As far as the program charging the 3rd out as happening during the next batters AB, even though he never came to the plate. If the software automatically advances you to the next batter, as iscore does, you will run into this a lot. Some other software gets around this by not advancing to the next batter until there is user input. A button that says "advance to next batter" Thats really the only way around that.

As far as how you scored it relative to IScore, you did it right.