1st and 3rd -steal and error scoring question

If you are having an issue with iScore Baseball, please post it here and we will try and find solutions so everybody will be aware of them.
mikeny

1st and 3rd -steal and error scoring question

Post by mikeny » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:30 am

I scored a scenario yesterday where the flow of the questions did not achieve the desired results.

1st and 3rd situation: runner on 1st attempted steal of 2nd.. runner on 3rd broke home on the throw..I think he was going regardless of where it was going. Throw sailed into CF. Runner obviously scored easily. In my view runner who attempted steal of 2nd advanced to 3rd on E2 and was subsequently tagged out 8-2 trying to score.

Question sequence asked me about the runner who stole 2nd: I said he stole 2nd. Asked me about the runner at 3rd: I said he advanced home on the throw. It asked me what happened to the runner at 2nd. I said he was tagged out 8-2. Now in hindsight, I realized that that at no point did it offer me to assess an E2 so I went back to pitch and pitch and edited..

The only option I saw was to change how the runner scored : changing it from 'on the throw' to 'via E2'....However in my opinion the E2 did not ALLOW him to score. It allowed the runner from 1st who was stealing 2nd to advance to 3rd.. That's where it should be.

Wondering how you would score this. This has earned run/unearned run implications which I realize can be overridden but I'm curious how you would do it.

Thanks.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: 1st and 3rd -steal and error scoring question

Post by FTMSupport » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:19 am

If you want the error to show the runner advancing from 2nd to 3rd, you would have to enter it in two steps. You would first have to enter the play just up to the point of the runner reaching third and entering it as advanced to third on error. Then separately tap the runner on third and enter him as out on 8-2.

It sounds like an argument could be made that the runner scoring from third could be the result of E2 as well though in which case things could all be entered in one play. Without the error, it is unknown if the runner on third would have been able to advance to home.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
mikeny

Post by mikeny » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:26 am

Thanks. It's somewhat debatable as you said so I don't want split too many hairs about it.
Tacho47

Post by Tacho47 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:47 pm

a) With R1 + R3 both safely advance on an initiated steal from R1 to 2nd base, scoring rules provide to score them both a stolen base! (like it or not!)
b) your scenario has to be scored as follows to get the right scoresheet actions and stats:

- Touch R3 - safe - home - stolen base
- Answer question what happened to R1 - safe - 2nd Base - stolen base
- Touch R2 (former R1) - safe - third base - error - Catcher - throwing
- Touch R3 (former R2) - out - home - tagged out - touch CF then C (8-2) - done

As you see, you have to split this scenario into three steps

Tacho
mikeny

Post by mikeny » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:17 pm

Tacho47 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:47 pm
a) With R1 + R3 both safely advance on an initiated steal from R1 to 2nd base, scoring rules provide to score them both a stolen base! (like it or not!)
b) your scenario has to be scored as follows to get the right scoresheet actions and stats:

- Touch R3 - safe - home - stolen base
- Answer question what happened to R1 - safe - 2nd Base - stolen base
- Touch R2 (former R1) - safe - third base - error - Catcher - throwing
- Touch R3 (former R2) - out - home - tagged out - touch CF then C (8-2) - done

As you see, you have to split this scenario into three steps

Tacho
Thanks. That's how I wound up entering it.

EDIT: Correction..I could NOT edit it after the fact to get these results. That was my original issue. It's good to know for next time.