Double switches involving a DH

If you are having an issue with iScore Baseball, please post it here and we will try and find solutions so everybody will be aware of them.
CoachBob

Double switches involving a DH

Post by CoachBob » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:35 am

I just exported my data to you. I have just run into an issue for the second time. Last night it wouldnt let me change pitchers. I would make the change, but the same pitcher would still be on the mound after making the sub. I tried going back to the previous inning when we were on offense and it still wouldnt work. I tried tapping on the pitcher on defense and replacing it that way and it also didnt work. Last night eventually took, but ive spent 10 minutes now trying it again and it wont work so there must be some issue.

Also, very often we use a DH for a player other than the pitcher. In high school baseball you can DH for any position. Because of this, sometimes you do a double switch involving this player but I dont see anyway to access that. For example, on our game against Orangewood. Koonce is pitching but we tried to change him out in the 6th and move him to CF. We were going to move our CF Perry to LF (no change in the actual batting order) and the LF was going to come out of the game with the new pitcher going into his spot which was the spot which wasnt hitting (being DHd for).

Any ideas?
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Double switches involving a DH

Post by FTMSupport » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:06 pm

We tried to follow Major League rules such that:

A Designated Hitter is "locked" into the batting order. No multiple substitutions may be made that will alter the batting rotation of the Designated Hitter.

Once the game pitcher is switched from the mound to a defensive position this move shall terminate the DH role for the remainder of the game. Once a pinch-hitter bats for any player in the batting order and then enters the game to pitch, this move shall terminate the Designated Hitter role for the remainder of the game.

Once a Designated Hitter assumes a defensive position this move shall terminate the Designated Hitter role for the remainder of the game.

Is this what is causing your problem?
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:08 pm

For the issue where you are unable to change pitchers, if it is repeatable can you describe the exact steps to get this behavior to repeat?
CoachBob

Post by CoachBob » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:22 pm

Almost every high school league in america allows use of a DH but unlike major league baseball, the DH can hit for anyone not just the pitcher. Here is what I would suggest to solve this:

Where you currently do your switches and it shows 9 spots add a 10th but that spot doesnt have to be filled and doesnt bat. THis would represent the player who is getting DH'd for.

In our lineup the other day, our left fielder played in the game but did not hit as a differet player was the DH for him. When I changed pitchers, I put the old pitcher in LF. He remained in his normal spot in the order. The new pitcher, went into the left fielders spot in the order which was the 10th spot which didnt hit because he was being dh'd for. The left fielder came out of the game.

As far as the other issue, I tried replace the pitcher two ways. First I clicked on the pitcher on the mound and replaced him with the new guy, but when I went back to the screen the change didnt take. I also tried going back to the previous inning and doing it on offense and that still didnt work. It happened the othe rnight too but eventually it took. I exported so you could see it.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:28 pm

@CoachBob -

If we implemented the DP/Flex rule as seen here:

http://www.vspn.com/mdoa/Softball_2004_DP-flex_rule.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

Would that address your DH concerns? We would leave the "DH" terminology, not use the "DP" terminology, but it sounds like the defensive player you refer to is the same thing as the "FLEX" player as described in that link.
CoachBob

Post by CoachBob » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:30 am

That would seem to work however the way its written is a bit cumbersome in that link. To me its as simple as....there are 10 guys in the lineup, but the 10th guy doesnt bat.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:50 am

OK... we are trying to get a release out in the next day or two that addresses several of the smaller issues people have come up with. When we post the release, a list of things we addressed will be posted in a separate thread.

We will make this DH / DP-Flex capability a part of the following release.

Thank you.