Player Photo - Different Teams (answered)

If you are having an issue with iScore Baseball, please post it here and we will try and find solutions so everybody will be aware of them.
randy21m

Player Photo - Different Teams (answered)

Post by randy21m » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:33 am

I have players who are on multiple leagues, thus multiple teams. I have uploaded their photo to their respective roster for each team within each league, but when I replace their photo for one team/league, it replaces their photo for every team.

I just started using iScore this year, but my plan was to use one device between the different leagues my son plays on, and as some of these leagues are overlapping I don't want his local league picture showing up on a score cast with his travel team, or vice versus. Is there a way to maintain separate photos that are tied to the teams roster, instead of the player directly?
OhioTex

Re: Player Photo - Different Teams

Post by OhioTex » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:05 am

you are correct, this is a limitation with how iscore currently handles player photos (btw, same answer if iOS or Android ). As you have identieifed, the player photo appears to be programmed as an attribute of the player, not the Team Roster. (iscore Leagues, are a non factor here). Any photo attached to a specific player in player manager will apply to all teams and games that player is on regardless of League assignments in that device. If you have a specific player on two teams, at the same time, the same photo would be used for all teams on your device at that time. Perhaps support or other users can think of a natural way to force iscore to handle this as you want, but i can not - I think you are stuck with tradeoffs.

I would be happy to think about workarounds and tradeoffs with you on how best to handle player photos for two teams at same time ....

To help, I would want to better understand... a) what kind of device do you use, Android or iOS, phone or tablet?. and b) where will you fans see player photos? are you using them on team web site subscription? iscorecasts? player cards? or other? c) do you have access to a second scoring device?

P.S. for those reading along, here is the formal FAQ on photo upload procedure if interested. http://iscoresports.com/baseball/kb/faq ... photos.php
iScore Baseball/Softball
* FAQ http://iscoresports.com//baseball/support.php
* Updated Manual http://iscoresports.com/baseball/manual.php?gd=1
* Stat Formulas http://data.iscorecentral.com/legend.ph ... internal=1
OhioTex

Re: Player Photo - Different Teams (replied, pending user follow up)

Post by OhioTex » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:27 am

I fairly simple workaround I have done in similar situation in the past and it has worked fine, is to create a new separate instance of my kid for each team in season. (e.g. Charlie Brown - Rangers, and Charlie Brown - Reds) then at the end of the season, used the MERGE PLAYER feature in PLAYER MANAGER in iScore to consolidate back to single 'master versions' (Charlie Brown - Master) for lifetime stats.

it is not ideal, but it would give you the independence you want to have separate photos, in season you would loose the ability to look at a players lifetime stats in one place, but in my experience, that is a reasonable tradeoff and my kids understand.

the only caveat i have, is i see on another post, at least some of your leagues are using SI play web sites. I have not tried this with SI Play web sites, but it should work. Just make sure when discovering players or teams via Discover Team or Discover Game, the player mapping is correct.
iScore Baseball/Softball
randy21m

Post by randy21m » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:57 am

OhioTex, I submitted a response already to your initial post, but it's not showing. Maybe a time delay or something. Hopefully this doesn't end up in a double post.

I'm not a developer, but I see the problem and as you have identified as well, the custom photo object appears to be tied directly to the player. I believe the "simple" change would be for the iScore developers to make the custom photo object an attribute of the League - just like the stats for a player are. Then you could have different photos for your player, for each league they're on. This would also retain prior (years) photos of the leagues they were on!

To answer your questions:
A) I have only used a single Android Table to date. I have researched the methods of exporting/importing data between devices, but haven't had the opportunity (time) to exercise that yet. I'm mainly concerned how that impacts my "fans", as a few of them access my score casts from the web view using my ID. I do, however, export my data religiously after every game, and every change I make outside of a game to ensure my data is up on the servers.
B) My fans see the photos on our iScore Team Website, as well as while watching a score cast. No player cards (yet).
C) I have other Android devices, as well as an iPad Mini available.

That is a nice suggestion/workaround - and one I just might use! My league does use SI, but I stopped importing games from there awhile back as I have no control of the roster on SI, and the league doesn't intend to give us that control. As such, I was ending up with duplicates of players (since I customize my players info within iScore). Now i just manually create my games, and let iScore do it's thing! Would be great if iScore had an option to "NOT" import the rosters when importing a game from an external source - which was my suggestion/feature request.

Thanks again for the quick help!
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:16 pm

not sure what happen to prior post (or it may be under the SI PLAY topic, viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11998&p=48574#p48574)

I am not a developer either, nor affiliated with iscore the company, just a long time user and supporter of this forum community

I agree with your suggestion, and am confident the developers will add it to their list for future consideration, But I would counsel you to come up with a now term workaround. as it is unknown if and when the developers will prioritize it.

* As to an immediate workaround, I would try the two player approach i posted before, , you could also dedicate one device to a Team. and share data between. one device would drive one team web site and another the other. but i think given my choice, i would just do two versions of same player.

* SI PLAY, I do not use, but I appreciate downloading rosters DISCOVER TEAM, saves typing. not sure the DISCOVER GAME benefits. (see other post on this topic)

* FYI for FANS and iscorecast.com. instead of Fans typing your user ID at iscorecast.com. .. Fans can enter YOUR TEAM NAME from your team Website URL http://www.iscorebaseball.com/YOURTEAMNAME. (usually easier to remember and share). Plus they will only see games for THAT TEAM. (since you have multiple teams )

* you said fans is a high priority, they may be interested in Iscore Central Viewer (blue icon).. yes it costs 5 $ for three months, but If any fans want a RADIO like broadcast, or a Phone optimized iscorecast, they may be thrilled. . I have listened to games my wife scores while on a plane, train and in the car - handsfree. very unique and worth the cost.. see viewtopic.php?f=34&t=11670 for some more info.

* OPTION > DATA SHARING > GET FROM WEB .. is a Piece of Cake, since you export regularly, give it a try, no real need to use unless you find you like scoring on different devices better, Phone, tablet, android or iOS.

* Try it on IPAD mini, iOS has an updated look and feel and a few more features. (non core, but nice features not yet on android). on an iPad you can tap players in the line up window to see player info, you can tap the play by play and edit right from scoring screen. League manager on iOS lets you tab over to teams, games and players from under league manager. IOS also has lineup assistant, and Paired simultaneous sub remainder . I have never used a mini, just an IPAD and iPhone. But what i can tell of the mini, they did a nice real estate usage.

* once you get use to iscore, you may even find using on your phone easier for one handed entry.
iScore Baseball/Softball
randy21m

Post by randy21m » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:07 am

I am definitely thinking about using the 2 player workaround when the next season starts. Thankfully my son, and the other kids I'm keeping stats on are now only on a single team. I'm going to do the merge with their "master" account for now.

Discover Game is actually necessary for the link in the SI Play App to work correctly (I discovered last night). The scorecast was working just fine on the normal iscorecast website, but it never changed from "waiting for game to start" in the SI Play App. I discovered my games all season long, and never had this issue so I assume the problem was that I didn't discover the game, and instead manually created it. Tonight we have another game and I'l be discovering the game to see if that fixes the problem. Discover Game is also useful (to me) because it pulls in all of the game details (Who's playing who, who's Home/Away, what time the game is, where it's located, Field it's on, rosters, etc - helpful if the league changes some info about the game that I'm not aware of). This is mostly beneficial when playing teams within my own league as it pulls in the roster of the other teams automatically as well, so no having to type in 13 player names for the opposing team!

Thank you for the tip on fans accessing score casts! I actually set up a scoreboard last night, and embedded it into our Team Home Page last night. I also registered my iPad Mini to my account, and transferred all of my data to it and made it the master device. I do like the look and feel on there, and hoping my battery lasts longer than on my Android tablet :) I was hoping that by linking the two devices to the same account that there would be a "sync" between the two devices, but I've read a lot of your other posts outlining why this is not possible, and understand. I did like that capability with Game Changer (resume scoring live on a different device, and no need for fans to change where they're viewing), but I like everything else about iScore better enough to keep me here. My goal is to use a single device, now I just need to think about how I'm going to control Leagues and Teams a bit better after reading a lot of suggestions here. Currently I'm doing a League per Season, 2017 Spring for example, then assigning teams to those Leagues. Currently my Teams are generic though, AAA Dodgers for example. Think I'll go back and rename those to 2017 AAA Dodgers, etc.

Thanks again for being an awesome supporter of this community, and for all of the suggestions!
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:30 am

For anyone reading along, I want to highlight the below information on DISCOVER GAME (for folks who play in SiPLAY leagues), as it is as I would have hoped and expected.

this starts to show the power of SIPLAY and ISCORE being part of same company.
randy21m wrote: Discover Game is actually necessary for the link in the SI Play App to work correctly (I discovered last night). The scorecast was working just fine on the normal iscorecast website, but it never changed from "waiting for game to start" in the SI Play App. I discovered my games all season long, and never had this issue so I assume the problem was that I didn't discover the game, and instead manually created it. Tonight we have another game and I'l be discovering the game to see if that fixes the problem. Discover Game is also useful (to me) because it pulls in all of the game details (Who's playing who, who's Home/Away, what time the game is, where it's located, Field it's on, rosters, etc - helpful if the league changes some info about the game that I'm not aware of). This is mostly beneficial when playing teams within my own league as it pulls in the roster of the other teams automatically as well, so no having to type in 13 player names for the opposing team!
iScore Baseball/Softball
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:57 am

randy21m wrote: ... now I just need to think about how I'm going to control Leagues and Teams a bit better after reading a lot of suggestions here. Currently I'm doing a League per Season, 2017 Spring for example, then assigning teams to those Leagues. Currently my Teams are generic though, AAA Dodgers for example. Think I'll go back and rename those to 2017 AAA Dodgers, etc.
I think you are 100% on the right track..

For what it is worth, my point of view.

TEAMS
I am of the camp that for each new physical team, (spring, summer, fall, winter,) I create a NEW team in iscore. even for high school, were the same team name is used year to year.. , but since the roster changes year to year, I make a new team. (similar to MLB) ... in season, i would Call it something simple like _Dodgers, (note i add a blank in front to float up my alphabetical listing of teams) and then out of season, I re name it to a more full description i.e. 2016 Dodgers HS Varsity, . I do Same for summer and travel teams. I just find i like it best this way, as i am able to go back and look what did the 2016 version of the team do. (there are trade offs and some other great users on this forum, will advocate using the same team year to year, just tweaking roster, add/remove, but i like new each year).

the way to keep the team link the same year to year is by purchasing TEAM WEB SITE url, with a more timeless descriptive name like DODGERS_HS (not dodges 2017) and then switch the iscore team that drives that team URL each year (easily) using my.isocrecentral.com. so iscorebaseball.com/DODGERS_HS would be good year to year. or iscorecast.com ID = DODGERS_HS

LEAGUE MANAGER
think of leagues as just a simple (but very flexible) way to group any number of players, teams and games. (historically this blows game changer out of theater). you assign players, teams and games to a league.

So.. Only data for leagues you turned on, show on your device. turn off all leagues, no data shows up. turn on ALL leagues and all data shows under player, team and game manager. Turn on only one league , e.g. POST SEASON league, and only Players, Teams and Game data and Stats associate with POST SEASON league show up on device.(or in email) .. team web sites can also provide user a drop down box to choose a league at a time.

Common leagues ideas.. Entire season 2017. , pre season 2017, regular season 2017 and Post season 2017, or Memorial Tourney 2017, or Forth July tourney 2017, All star game 2017. etc.

It is somewhat optional to assign players to the league, but you must assign the players to the team, the team to the league, the team to the games, and the game to the league for it to all work.

It sounds more complicated on paper than it is. In Android and IOS, you can always assign a player, or Team or Game, to a league under player, team and game managers. In IOS you can also do the cross assignment under League Manager, select league and then select from the appropriate tabs, player, team, games..
iScore Baseball/Softball
randy21m

Post by randy21m » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:26 am

OhioTex, as always, thanks for the info!

I think that's the track I'll go, new team for each season. Seems most logical, and easiest if I truly want to go back and review stats for what just that team did as opposed to dropping/making inactive players on the roster. I ran into an issue during this past season where pool players were used on our teams to make a full roster, and that's how I had to find out about Active vs Inactive. Though that player is always on that roster, though I suppose I could remove them, but then I wonder how Play by Plays and iScoreCasts would view if the player was removed.

UPDATE - removed possible misleading scorecast sync information. See thread viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12009

As you've already mentioned, there are ways around this, but at the current time that's how parents are getting to my scorecasts - either through the SI Play App, or directly on the iscorecast.com with the device ID. My goal will be to direct parents to the custom ScoreBoard in the future, or give them the option of the iScore Viewer, or the direct link with the team name.

By the way, successfully merged the players from the Discover, then imported a game and VOILA - no new players created - and all data in tact! Thanks for that!

So one last question somewhat on topic regarding pictures (hopefully). On my admin website I have assigned pictures to players on the roster (had to redo some of those after the merge). Android never showed pictures on the tablet, but now that I'm on iOS I see there's the option for the photo on the tablet itself. Although I have the pictures successfully set on the Admin website, they don't show on the tablet. I did a successful Import, but nothing shows for the player. Thoughts?

Thanks again!
Last edited by randy21m on Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:59 am

Here are my comments back ..

#1)
randy21m wrote:.... I ran into an issue during this past season where pool players were used on our teams to make a full roster, and that's how I had to find out about Active vs Inactive. Though that player is always on that roster, though I suppose I could remove them, but then I wonder how Play by Plays and iScoreCasts would view if the player was removed.
  • if you remove a 'pick up player' from TEAM ROSTER, (then OPTION EXPORT to update TEAM WEB SITE) they will not show up in TEAM WEB SITE nor TEAM MANAGER > TEAM STATS, but as long as the pick up player remains in the GAME MANAGER > GAME LINE UP, he will show up in the game play by play and scorecast (i.e. same situation if a team happens to trade a player mid season)

TEAM WEB SITE, also has a minimum setting, you can hide players with less than xyzzy at bats under settings stats.
randy21m wrote:.... Another thing to note (ON ANDROID), if you enable a league and do an export, all of the scorecasts are then visible again on the website - if you're just going to the generic http://www.iscorecast.com and entering the device ID. I tested this on iOS and it does NOT import the scorecast back to the website. You have to manually go into the game and do a Sync per game. Just something to note as I ran into that after I removed everything, then when I went back to view the other league I did an Export (forgetting to turn the other leagues off) and all of the scorecasts were listed again on the iscorecast.com page. As you've already mentioned, there are ways around this, but at the current time that's how parents are getting to my scorecasts - either through the SI Play App, or directly on the iscorecast.com with the device ID. My goal will be to direct parents to the custom ScoreBoard in the future, or give them the option of the iScore Viewer, or the direct link with the team name.
  • I was unaware of this difference on EXPORT and iscorrecast.com updates for Android vs iOS. and it does not make sense to me either, . I have posted a separate note for support to test and explain viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12009&p=48624#p48624
randy21m wrote:.... By the way, successfully merged the players from the Discover, then imported a game and VOILA - no new players created - and all data in tact! Thanks for that!
  • AWSOME !!! :P
randy21m wrote:So one last question somewhat on topic regarding pictures (hopefully). On my admin website I have assigned pictures to players on the roster (had to redo some of those after the merge). Android never showed pictures on the tablet, but now that I'm on iOS I see there's the option for the photo on the tablet itself. Although I have the pictures successfully set on the Admin website, they don't show on the tablet. I did a successful Import, but nothing shows for the player. Thoughts?
  • going to sound odd, but developers have posted elsewhere, the photo on web site but not on tablet is BY design (data saving was the reason).

you have to Add to the iPad manually. it does not 'download', It will 'upload' the photo, from tablet to admin web site, but not other way around. So yes, you get to do it all over again if you want on tablet .

After you have a photo on tablet, email yourself a player card. and will see photo on it!
iScore Baseball/Softball