Roster has uniform numbers but no names (responded, pending user clarifications back)

If you are having an issue with iScore Baseball, please post it here and we will try and find solutions so everybody will be aware of them.
pat12burns

Roster has uniform numbers but no names (responded, pending user clarifications back)

Post by pat12burns » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:22 am

I am trying to data share a roster to another device. The other device can transfer the roster but the names do not show up, only numbers.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Roster has uniform numbers but no names

Post by FTMSupport » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:51 am

We have not seen this problem before. If you let us know the customer ID of the device you are trying to retrieve a team from and which team it is, we can take a look.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
pat12burns

Post by pat12burns » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:55 am

The customer ID is: 72CD392BBA and the roster is Neptune Beach Pearl 2017.
I just did a similar transfer to a third device of a different roster successfully, so I am at a loss why the one above didn't work as well.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:47 am

We just did a data share from that device to a device here, and selected the Neptune Beach Pearl 2017 team. It shows the players with both jersey numbers and names, and says -> (New) for each. Maybe if you are not seeing the -> (New) it means the players already exist on the device you are trying to copy to without names?

The other possibility we can think of is you are not using the newest version of iScore? You can be sure to update on the App Store to the newest version of iScore.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
pat12burns

Post by pat12burns » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:53 am

Here's what I think the problem is when "ghost players" (players with numbers but no names show up on a device and cannot be found or removed but, despite this, keep showing up in boxscores, scorecards, etc) is the order in which rosters and games are downloaded from a remote device through Options->Data Sharing->Get From Web Database.

If you try and download the game before downloading the rosters of the teams playing in the game, iScore creates a set of ghost players (rosters with numbers but no names) that get assigned to the teams in the game. Even if you go through Player Manager and assign the ghost players (with numbers only) a name, pos, etc., the ghost players will not be over-written. They will continue to show up in your boxscores, etc. A total mess. We had one game keep adding ghost players each time the game was exported. That team ended up with 84 hits and 300 players before we fixed the problem,

The solution we have found is to delete the game, the ghost players and the teams from the device (hopefully you catch this early in your season) and do the data sharing over again BUTMAKE SURE to download the rosters of the game first before downloading the game itself. This is an important step that should be incorporated into the iScore Tutorial.
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:22 am

@pat12burns - I am thrilled you were able to troubleshoot, isolate your problem, and correct your specific game transfer issue (after much angst i suspect) . I am also appreciative of you taking the time to post back findings for the benefit of the forum community- thank you!

However, I have done many game retrievals by "Options->Data Sharing->Get From Web Database > User ID | Password" (from admin, scorecast, and synch data server sources) and have never experienced the problem you describe. Support was able to retrieve the game without issue . Without the ability to replicate the issue, I am not quite ready to adopt the workflow you propose without some further investigation and understanding.

When you say you "Download Games" and "Download Roster", could you have somehow in your workflow used "DISCOVER" (either Team Manager > Discover Team ... or Game Manager > Discover Game .... ) instead of "Options->Data Sharing->Get From Web Database > User ID | Password" ?
  • When i first saw this post, my questions turned to DISCOVER and the specific sources as potential cause of your issue. Do you use DISCOVER?

If you do use discover (even if not with the specific game in question) can you expand on what sources you may have used DISCOVER for with the involved team or players or games.. (e.g., iscore, SiPlay, League Athletics, USSSA, Nations, Max Preps, sport engine, prospect wire ,Tourney Machine, Score Monster, My Stats Online, USA Premier, Ball Charts, Jevin, MLB, MiLB, NCAA, Retro sheet. etc)
When "Retrieving a game" by "Options->Data Sharing->Get From Web Database > User ID | Password" , the program first scans your data base, then shows games and teams from the source NOT already on your device, when you then select a game to retrieve, the next step is MAPPING -- teams and players, verification and import.
  • There is not a required separate step to "download rosters". You could retrieve a team (not already on your device) and its roster separately and then a game (again not already on your device), but it is not required. In fact, if you had retrieved a game first, you would not then see the team for that game to retrive, as it would have already been on the device. bottom line, The Mapping step is critical.

In the Mapping step, the program matches underlying identifiers the program maintains for each player, team and game. (the users can not see, nor edit, these unique IDs), but these unique identifiers 'stick' with the players/teams/games through all data sharing and disocver transfers. If somehow these identifiers get 'miss matched' in the mapping process, that can cause messy problems, (like you experienced) and the way to rectify depends on the root cause, but generally resolved using merge or delete (which is what you did).
Again, thanks for taking the time to provide feedback with the forum community ...I look forward to your follow up comments ...
iScore Baseball/Softball
* FAQ http://iscoresports.com//baseball/support.php
* Updated Manual http://iscoresports.com/baseball/manual.php?gd=1
* Stat Formulas http://data.iscorecentral.com/legend.ph ... internal=1