RBI on an error?

If you are having an issue with iScore Baseball, please post it here and we will try and find solutions so everybody will be aware of them.
CoachBob

RBI on an error?

Post by CoachBob » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:35 pm

In our game today, we batted around in the 3rd inning. My catcher grounded out for what would have been the final out of the inning. He reached on an error though but was credited with an RBI in the boxscore. I am exporting the data right now for you to see it. I also am having a hard time interpreting some of the scorecard info. What does it mean when it says in green at each base, AB5 AB6 etc?

Is there a way to go back into the middle of the game and correct an entry or would you have to undo everything?

Thanks for being so responsive.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: RBI on an error?

Post by FTMSupport » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:59 pm

We will be posting a legend for the scorecard soon.

AB5 means Advanced by Batter in the 5th spot in the batting order. AB6 would mean Advanced by Batter in the 6th spot in the batting order.

Corrections must be done with Undo/Redo. We have had requests to edit "middle of the game" data, but it is not quite as easy as it sounds. We will be working on a way to do some editing, but there are things that can really mess the scoring up. For example, changing a 3rd out to a hit... what happens to all the batters after that? Several variations of this.

We do want to account for some things that do not change the subsequent boxes though... for example, changing a hit to an error or vice versa.

We will take a look at your data in regards to the error / earned run issue.

Thank you.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
bsweetser

Post by bsweetser » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:16 am

I look forward to seeing what you come up with to fix items that have occurred further back in the game. I had an item at the game last night where the official scorer ruled an error differently than I had originally indicated, but I could not figure out a way to go back. At that point, it would have been counterproductive to undo 4 batters' worth of data to make the adjustment. Unfortunately, sometimes scoring decisions are changed, so this will be important moving forward. Perhaps something interactive in the scorecard view to allow you to move back to a particular at bat? Or tapping on the inning to bring up a list of batters from that inning, and then tapping the batter to go to his/her at bat and make the adjustment?

Thanks for all your hard work.

ben
jdonato

Post by jdonato » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:33 am

Maybe an interim solution could be (and I am guessing here) to allow manual changes that does not affect the general outcome of an inning, like changing a hit to an error, or and F8 to an F9 (let's call these ones Type 1 errors). Don't allow (yet) changes like FTMSupport mentions, like changing the third out of the inning to a hit, which would mess things up and would require a lot of programming (Type 2).

Or maybe, in the case of this last type (Type 2) of changes, iScore could alert that subsequent scored plays would be undone (deleted) and would be needed to be entered again. I don't see lot of alternate solutions to this particular problem, but maybe these outlined here could be a kind of "meet me in the middle" kind of compromise. After all, I think that most changes would be of the first type, for example, official scorer changing things two innings later.

Let's keep thinking and suggesting, and maybe we will "hit a homerun". ;)
bsweetser

Post by bsweetser » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:55 am

I agree that most changes would be what you describe as type 1 (at least from my standpoint where I score MLB and minor league games I attend). I've never heard of a situation where a decision was overturned later in the game that would cause the teams to have to go back and replay. :roll:

ben
wrast

Post by wrast » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:39 pm

bsweetser wrote:I agree that most changes would be what you describe as type 1 (at least from my standpoint where I score MLB and minor league games I attend). I've never heard of a situation where a decision was overturned later in the game that would cause the teams to have to go back and replay. :roll:

ben
The only thing I can think of is a protest. This to me is a change in the game itself and not a change in the *scoring* of the game. IMHO, iScore should not handle this situation. Changing errors to hits, hits to errors, and the like, yes.

Thinking more about this one, perhaps iScore should be able to "mark" a spot in the game where a protest is being declared. In the event that the protest holds up and they have to replay from that point, iScore could go back to that point and delete everything that happened after that "mark" originally.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:24 pm

We definitely want to be able to address the "type 1" issues as jdonato has named them because these will obviously happen to everyone, and being able to modify things post game or several innings later will be very helpful.

It probably won't make it into the next release (we are hoping to be posting an update later this week or very early next), but possibly the following release.
Jaskegreen

Post by Jaskegreen » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:30 pm

The only thing I can think of is a protest. This to me is a change in the game itself and not a change in the *scoring* of the game. IMHO, iScore should not handle this situation. Changing errors to hits, hits to errors, and the like, yes.

Thinking more about this one, perhaps iScore should be able to "mark" a spot in the game where a protest is being declared. In the event that the protest holds up and they have to replay from that point, iScore could go back to that point and delete everything that happened after that "mark" originally.
Has there been any movement on this idea for marking a protest at a certain point in the game? How do others do this? I just ran our scorekeepers meeting last night and that very question came up. I didn't know how to answer it other than providing a protest log sheet that helps me find the spot in the Play-by-Play to edit.

Any suggestions or iScore enhancements would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Jason
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:09 pm

You can use Notes, and enter a note in the game if a protest occurs. The notes appear in the Pitch by Pitch and Play by Play listings (and would also appear in the iScorecasts).
Jaskegreen

Post by Jaskegreen » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:55 pm

That's what I was thinking as well, but I would have to exit the game to get to the play-by-play edit section. That's time consuming and new scorekeepers are going to be frazzled by the process.

I foresee a new button under Misc for Protest. It would make a note for you in the Play-by-Play, and in the event the game had to be replayed due to the protest, the game could be reverted to that point. What do you think?

Cheers,
Jason