Radar Gun (Stalker and Scoutee) (future.feature.integration.ideas

If you have an idea for improving the product, please post it here and we will try and prioritize updates based on the most popular requests.
kengup

Radar Gun (Stalker and Scoutee) (future.feature.integration.ideas

Post by kengup » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:19 am

anyone able to connect to the radar gun feature via Bluetooth? If so which gun are you using or attachment for the gun?
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Radar Gun

Post by FTMSupport » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:44 am

The radar gun option currently only works with Stalker devices (the ones used by MLB teams), and it requires a custom Bluetooth connector that costs about $150. If you are interested in more details, email us directly at support@iscoresports.com.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
okava

Post by okava » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:52 pm

Any update on the bluetooth to serial adapter?
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:55 pm

Unfortunately we ran into some issues with Apple because they did not have the device to test with and it was becoming a cumbersome process to get it approved with them. We are going to try again at some point, but have made this a lower priority for now.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
CreigN

Post by CreigN » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:46 am

I came across an interesting radar gun on KickStarter. It's called Scoutee and it works on iOS and Android devices. I bought into their KickStarter campaign and am a supporter of it going into production.

The Scoutee radar unit can attach to a smartphone (with a tiny magnet), held in your hand, hung from the backstop fence or mounted on a tripod. The radar unit displays its data on the smartphone (or tablet) so they have solved the data transfer barrier from radar unit to smartphone (which seems to have been a major hurdle in the past). This might be the answer to having radar data input directly into iScore rather than having an external Bluetooth or serial adapter or, as currently the case, of having to read pitch speed off of external radar gun and entering it into iScore while trying to keep score and watching the play develop.

They say it works with any sport that uses a ball - baseball, softball, soccer, football, basketball, bowling, etc. (oh look, iScore apps). But I don't know what the needs are for tracking ball speed in a couple of those sports.

It will not be out until Spring 2016, but it looks like an effective and economical solution to getting pitch speeds into iScore. I don't know how accurate it is going to be, but their literature and video suggests that is very good (of course…). I cannot afford a Stalker device or other solutions and the Scoutee solution is much more appealing to me at its KickStarter costs (currently at $149) and its integration with a smartphone or tablet is a big factor. The suggested retail in the Spring will be $299 but substantially less now on KickStarter.

I already have a lot of hardware that I tote around for games: GoPro mounted on a LynkSpyder hung on the backstop fence, iPhone to control the GoPro, iScore on my iPad and a dad occasionally telling me the pitch speed when his old radar gun is working. The Scoutee would be a welcome addition to the gear if it could integrate with iScore.

It might be a feasible and efficient solution to getting pitch speed into iScore while scoring a game, it would certainly be a unique solution, differentiate it from (lesser) competition and simplify data entry. Maybe if enough of us contact the Scoutee developers (notification@kickstarter.com), they will approach FTM and work to implement this for the Spring.
CreigN

Post by CreigN » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:52 am

I forgot to mention that I posted this information hoping that others in the iScore community might think Scoutee is a valuable option (regardless if it eventually works with iScore) and will support their KickStarter campaign to get this into production. Others that I have met that use iScore Baseball are always asking about the pitch speed, of course a few old-timers already have that built into their world of experience.

It seems to be a well thought out product that is compatible with iOS and Android devices which is a significant point to me. However, I haven’t seen any information that the Scoutee app runs on tablets, I think they only show it on smartphones on their website and on their KickStarter page. If the Scoutee radar unit could integrate with iScore and automatically enter the pitch speed into iScore Baseball, that would be great from my perspective.

There are only 14 days left in their campaign to raise the production funds so I felt that I should let others in the iScore community know about the product and they can decide if they want to support it now or not. As I said in my OP, I am a backer of the campaign and hope that it reaches its Kickstarter funding goal so it does go into production for delivery in the Spring.

I have seen other KickStarter campaigns not reach their funding goal but still went into production with funds from other sources. Example is LinkSpyder, which is a product I own.
CreigN

Post by CreigN » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:10 pm

UPDATE: A few days ago I received my Scoutee radar gun in the mail. I originally found this on Kickstarter in October, 2015 and ordered it. Apparently took a while to get the product development and manufacturing process going but it was well worth the wait.

We took it to a local batting cage facility and tested it for over 1 ½ hours and it worked as expected with its accuracy very comparable to a much more expensive, handheld radar gun. Used it as a handheld unit, hung it on the chain link fence behind the batter and set it on a GorillaPod tripod. The controlling software app is Scoutee for Baseball Radar Gun and runs on Apple iOS and Android devices on smartphones and tablets. The software can be setup to measure the pitch speed as well as the ball speed off of the bat, which was very impressive. For example, we had two college players doing soft toss and we measured the toss at 21 mph and the ball speed off the bat at 83 mph - same readings for the other handheld unit. Toggle for mph or kmh.

The app also has the ability to setup teams with multiple players so you can use this to track individuals over time as well as when you face another team/pitcher in the future. It also dates and catalogs the measurements so you can refer to them in the future and use as a comparison.

You can also toggle to track pitch type, location and result of the pitch (strike, ball, foul, in play). I turned these options off as I'll be using iScore for these data. But if you leave these on, you can get summary stats for average speed, power index and accuracy index, but you'll have dual entry of this info in both the Scoutee app and iScore. Ultimately, I can imagine controlling the Scoutee unit from within iScore Baseball app on my iPad and having the speed automatically entered, then I can set the pitch location and pitch type in iScore. If iScore and Scoutee radar gun could interface and work together, what a differentiator it would make in the marketplace for iScore.

For those of you that use an iScore product for basketball, football or soccer, Scoutee has another app that can be used for these sports as well.

I'm not trying to make this an advertisement for the Scoutee radar gun, but I wanted to let you all know that there is another alternative on the market for a radar gun that, for me, is much more convenient and it connects to my smartphone or tablet.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the quality and performance of the Scoutee unit and look forward to using it in the upcoming season.
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:22 pm

@CreigN - thank you for the community update! .... I hope the year wait was worth it.

I can tell by your history of posts that you are a user, and not just trying to hawk a product.

that said, I would be interested to understand more about scoutee but probably best to take "off line" as the main purpose of this forum is iscore.
If you would be willing to discuss further, please initiate an email with me at <<update: email removed>>

hope to hear from you
Last edited by OhioTex on Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed email
iScore Baseball/Softball
* FAQ http://iscoresports.com//baseball/support.php
* Updated Manual http://iscoresports.com/baseball/manual.php?gd=1
* Stat Formulas http://data.iscorecentral.com/legend.ph ... internal=1
Minggaofu

Post by Minggaofu » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:23 am

+1
I also purchased this radar
Jaikee

Re: Radar Gun (Stalker and Scoutee) (future.feature.integration.ideas

Post by Jaikee » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:13 am

I haven't seen anything posted on this and it appears the scoutee radars are not currently available (And haven't been for some time). Is there any way currently to connect ANY type of radar to get pitch speed? Preferably something that will push the data into iScore? Does the Stalker option work? I'm trying to have something ready to go for my summer season.

Thank You