Android 2.0 Version?

If you have an idea for improving the product, please post it here and we will try and prioritize updates based on the most popular requests.
PhilB

Re: Android 2.0 Version?

Post by PhilB » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:10 am

Once again throwing fuel on the fire it looks like Android is now used in more smartphones in the US than any other OS, including iOS.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/07/coms ... hone-subs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Obviously this doesn't include the iPad but by looking at the number of Android tablets coming out soon it looks to me like Android is only going to be a growing market.

Please bring that Android iScore out!

-phil
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:56 am

We are keeping our eye on the market, but just to be clear, that particular report is saying that during that quarter, more subscribers purchased Androids than iPhones. It is not saying that total number of devices in the market has surpassed iPhone. It does show a trend, but these reports need to be looked at carefully as depending on the source of data, they try and skew things to what they want people to believe. If someone has a report of total number of devices in the market, that would be very interesting.

One of the major problems for Android is that all Android devices are not the same. They have different screen sizes, different features, different memory and storage capabilities, etc. Apple keeps upgrading the iPhone and will do the same with the iPad, but they are essentially the same device from version to version. Reporting on all Android sales as if they were one device is very misleading. The Motorola Droid X is not the same device as the Motorola Flipout or the HTC Tattoo or the T-Mobile Charm or the Sony Xperia or .... the list goes on.

When you guys are requesting Android support, if you can also include the specific device you are interested in supporting, that would be helpful.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
souljerr

Post by souljerr » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:45 am

Excellent point on the fragmented Android device market. I definitely agree on the need, from a development point of view, to put out one version of your software that works across the entire android product line. Having said that, if I have a vote, develop for the Motorola Xoom. It's new. It's hot. They will sell tons. AND you can standardize your software to Android 3.0 / Honeycomb since it's built for tablets.
jcbeckman

Post by jcbeckman » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:31 pm

If they go with 3.0, they leave behind *all* phones and target only Android tablets - of which currently, there are zero running that software (sure, there *will* be a number of models, but how well will they sell? Will they have a bunch of different hardware configs as well?). If it were me I'd want to see a lot of tablets running 3.0 before starting a port.
souljerr

Post by souljerr » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:59 am

Just read this article at DigiTimes about how confident Motorola is in the Xoom - Motorola expected to ship 700,000-800,000 Xoom tablet PCs in 1Q11 http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20110110PD217.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PhilB

Post by PhilB » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:35 pm

FTMSupport wrote:One of the major problems for Android is that all Android devices are not the same. They have different screen sizes, different features, different memory and storage capabilities, etc. Apple keeps upgrading the iPhone and will do the same with the iPad, but they are essentially the same device from version to version.
I've heard the exact same thing from an aquaintance who is an iPhone developer. I'm surprised the Google hasn't figured out someway to "fix" this. In my simplistic view it seems that if the graphics environment could be set up to for relative screen dimensions so that all graphics are scaled the same for every device that could solve the screen issues. Memory would be another issue but don't most Androids support SD cards? Maybe you could require that an Android version for iSbb have a minimum NAND size which includes the SD card.

-phil
mondrejko

Post by mondrejko » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:28 am

I am a registered user of iScore and have been using the app on my iPod Touch. I now have a DroidX and I am looking to move completely over to using it and giving up the Touch. However, iScore is the one app that I use on the Touch that is not available for Android. Please accept this request for an Androind version of your great app.
Davorama

Post by Davorama » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:22 pm

Just want to add a request for an Android version. With Little League season coming up I was really hoping to put all my division into the system and have different folks score on whatever device they had handy. Between ios and android we'd have it covered but with only one or the other it's a stretch.
PhilB

Post by PhilB » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:35 am

FTM,

Thank you for listening to the requests and creating an Android version of iSBB!

-phil
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:43 am

Missed posting the announcement in this thread. :)

Yes, we released iScore Baseball for Android this past week. You can search for "iScore" in the Android Marketplace and you will find it there.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs