Enhancement requests after 2.01

If you have an idea for improving the product, please post it here and we will try and prioritize updates based on the most popular requests.
jdonato

Enhancement requests after 2.01

Post by jdonato » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:46 pm

Hello all

Well, I have tried 2.01 for a little while now, so as I've done for previous releases, I am posting my lists of a few things I would like to see in iScore, the greatest app for the iPhone, and the greatest support. Some of these have been stated before, but it could help adding my input to the priority of each request:

1. Position of switch hitters at the plate. I would like to see switch hitters at the correct side of the plate (automatically, I don't want to change them manually). They always appear as batting right-handed.

2. When a ball is in play, Undo as an option right after ball placement. Big fingers obstructing the exact place the ball was hit (I'm a bit tired of undoing many doubles at the wall on right field because my finger placed the ball over the wall....). Better yet, love the suggestion (in other thread) of having the ball a little bit offset while doing the tap and drag.

3. Love the strike tap-dragging to indicate a strike swinging. Could it be done so that, when doing this for a third strike, it will record it automatically as a Strikeout swinging, without going through the actual window?

4. Ability to see, on the fly, cumulative stats of the player, specially average and ERA. This will so enrich my experience. The player card (great addition) just shows the average at the start of the game. I was used to see this stat on the other platform I used, (Scorepad). It is one of the main reasons I love these type of apps. Being able to see how stats are changing DURING the game. I subscribed to the MLB Rosters and this behavior really breaks the deal for me, somewhat of a bummer. I really wouldn't care if next-day-download erases and replace everything. Would love if you could implement the math required to change stats in real time. If this is done, I would also like to see the current batting player AVG on-screen.

5. When a MLB pitcher is batting, going to his card shows his pitching stats, not his batting stats. Please fix.

6. Pitch count of the current at bat, including foul balls.

7. Player on third to score automatically upon sacrifice fly.

8. Option to assign same alternative to ALL runners on a play (ex. "Every runner is held up" button when a batter strikes out, instead of clicking held up for every one of them, etc.)

9. Although I understand the concept behind the new substitution window(s), I really don't like it. Since I score mostly MLB, substituting a pitcher should delete him from the batting order, and pinch-hitting should delete the player from the defense. Hate when I notice that I should have changed the left fielder on defense three innings ago, when he was pinch-hitted for, and before catching 4 fly balls during these innings. I liked the concept of having a little question mark ("?") to remind me. Better yet, in another app, when the half inning was over, the app would remind me with a little popup dialog: "You have open positions on defense. Would you like to review these changes?" or something like that. This little reminder could go a long way in avoiding frustrating changes later. Maybe with the concept of "Leagues", rules can be implemented so that the substituion windows behave accordingly, like (for MLB) taking people out of the game when substituted for, and possibly making the available players list shorter by hiding players that have been taken out of the game.

10. In iScorecast, when making a substitution, would like to see the names of the players involved. Right now it just appears as "Substitution". And related with number 9 above, if I remember to make the changes both on defense and offense in a normal substitution, it appears as a strange "Substitution. Substitution" (for example, changing a pitcher in the MLB NL league, if I change in defense window and then go to offense to assign the same new pitcher to the 9th spot in the batting order, that's one substitution but appears as stated above). Visitors following the game can be confused, thinking there were two substitutions...

Whew! That's a lot and I know you can't accomodate every whim, but I would really love to see them implemented, specially number 3. Who am I kidding, I would like to see them all :lol:

As always, I feel we are abusing...

Keep up the excellent work on the best iPhone app, and it gets better all the time!
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Enhancement requests after 2.01

Post by FTMSupport » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:03 pm

Thanks for all the ideas... we will add them to our list.
jcbeckman

Post by jcbeckman » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:41 am

2, 9 an 10 are all big ones for me too.
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:48 am

building on jdonato’s practice …. after a release to step back and re assess personal priorities for enhancements... below are my personal top ten in rank order ! Many (most are on jdonato's list but not all) ...

none are new, all previously posted and discussed... new is the current priority preference ...

( fyi - My interests are focused on youth baseball and softball, and am not MLB scoreing or a twitter user, so ideas related to those two areas are noticeably off my radar screen)

1) Notes - Free from text notes (optional)
A new Misc button, which triggers free form text editing (say < 144 characters or less)
and can be tagged to
- a play (e.g., runner called out b/c passed another runner, or diving catch etc),
- a game (e.g game rule: 8 batter limit/inning, 10 run/ inning limit, etc)
- an inning (eg rain delay, game ended due to darkness)

2) Cancel/undo hit placement button on hit placement screen (still have fat fingers)

3) Cancel/Back – runner movement – a cancel or back button on the screen you get when you tap on a base runner (if I want to cancel out, currently I hit safe held up to return to main screen, seems easy enough to have a back button here

4) In the hole batter - visibility on the main screen

5) Switch hitter - icon switch – since tapping on a batter brings up substitution screen, add a button on substitution screen to switch sides of plate, or make it a tap-drag action on a batter icon that switches the side of plate, even if you did not know at beginning of game he was a switch hitter.

6) Sound or vibrate for Ball Strike – entering in bright sunlight can be hard, a tactile feedback that a ball / strike was entered (vs the visual flash up) would be nice

7) Same for All button- (ex. "Every runner is held up" button when a batter strikes out, instead of clicking held up for every one of them, etc.)

8) Cancel/undo button
- on hit placement screen (still have fat fingers)
- on the screen you get when you tap on a base runner (if I want to cancel out, currently I hit safe held up to return to main screen, seems easy enough to have a back button here

9) total Pitch count of the current batter (including foul balls). (perhaps place adjacent to the batter icon, desire real time access, even though in PDF score book)

10) iscorecast user admin capabilities (return to list, delete games, url link to specific games and auto start, font fixes, see the names of the players involved when making a substitution. Etc )

Lots more but as i reflect on my top priorities.. this would be them. May email you the others...
jcbeckman

Post by jcbeckman » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:53 am

I'm looking for notes per player that would show up on the player card.
jdonato

Post by jdonato » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:07 pm

OhioTex wrote:2) Cancel/undo hit placement button on hit placement screen (still have fat fingers)

LOL :lol: :lol: Me too!
I still believe that having an option for offseting the ball, as for it to be displayed a little to the left or right of the finger (becoming visible in the process) is a nifty great idea and would solve this problem. We could have this and the cancel button too. It was bsweetser idea, in this thread:

http://iscore.freeforums.org/cancel-opt ... lit=offset" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

Also, I like your ideas for enhancements.

And congrats and welcome as a Moderator! Indeed, you have contributed and helped a lot of folks with your comments!
jdhhauser

Post by jdhhauser » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:15 pm

On jdnoto's list, numbers 3, 4, 8, and 10 are the big ones for me.
On OhioTex's list I love notes, but I like an earlier suggestion of having common phrases on the notes page that the user can define. I also want 6 and 10 from that list. I'd also like to see team colors and logos used too.
don.english

Post by don.english » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:10 am

Regarding:
2. When a ball is in play, Undo as an option right after ball placement. Big fingers obstructing the exact place the ball was hit (I'm a bit tired of undoing many doubles at the wall on right field because my finger placed the ball over the wall....). Better yet, love the suggestion (in other thread) of having the ball a little bit offset while doing the tap and drag.

If you decide to do this one, I'd like to suggest a configuration setting that asks if the ball should be shown to the left or right of the point of contact. Ie. for people who place the ball with their right hand you would want it to the left and for people who place the ball with their left hand you would want it to the right.

Thanks!
jdonato

Post by jdonato » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:29 am

don.english wrote:Regarding:

If you decide to do this one, I'd like to suggest a configuration setting that asks if the ball should be shown to the left or right of the point of contact. Ie. for people who place the ball with their right hand you would want it to the left and for people who place the ball with their left hand you would want it to the right.

Thanks!
Nice suggestion! I agree completely.
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:45 am

ditto.