Left on base stat

If you have an idea for improving the product, please post it here and we will try and prioritize updates based on the most popular requests.
Gamer mom

Left on base stat

Post by Gamer mom » Wed May 09, 2012 4:39 am

I know that on the box score the number of players left on base is there, but I was wondering if there is a way to pull this info as a cumulative stat? Or maybe add the info to the team stats page? Does that make sense?
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Left on base stat

Post by FTMSupport » Wed May 09, 2012 7:43 am

It is really a game stat against a team. In our stat reporting we only calculate individual stats and roll them up into team stats. LOB does not work that way.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
Egghead_#8

Post by Egghead_#8 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:50 am

FTMSupport wrote:It is really a game stat against a team.
I have to disagree. LOB, as well as LISP (Left In Scoring Position) can be a valuable individual stat and was one I was going to request as an enhancement. If your #4 hitter comes up 4 times in a game and is 2-4. The 2 outs she made she had say 2 runners in scoring position each time and didn't advance the runners (K or IF out etc). Then the 2 hits were with the bases empty. That 2-4 is a lot less valuable than if the 2 hits came with runners on base, even though it looks like from first glance she had a good game. If she does that regularly then she's not as valuable in that #4 spot as would appear just looking at the average. While RBI would also indicate this, knowing LOB & LISP is very informative. "My cleanup hitter left 4 runners in scoring position today!"
Jasperbhouse

Post by Jasperbhouse » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:12 am

Egghead_#8 wrote:
FTMSupport wrote:It is really a game stat against a team.
I have to disagree. LOB, as well as LISP (Left In Scoring Position) can be a valuable individual stat and was one I was going to request as an enhancement. If your #4 hitter comes up 4 times in a game and is 2-4. The 2 outs she made she had say 2 runners in scoring position each time and didn't advance the runners (K or IF out etc). Then the 2 hits were with the bases empty. That 2-4 is a lot less valuable than if the 2 hits came with runners on base, even though it looks like from first glance she had a good game. If she does that regularly then she's not as valuable in that #4 spot as would appear just looking at the average. While RBI would also indicate this, knowing LOB & LISP is very informative. "My cleanup hitter left 4 runners in scoring position today!"
Totally Agree! LOB and LISP as individual stats are very useful
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:24 am

We keep stats with RISP already. The "LISP" stat is indirectly available. We have At Bits with RISP, and Hits with RISP, so LISP is (At Bats with RISP - Hits with RISP).
Egghead_#8

Post by Egghead_#8 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:08 am

FTMSupport wrote:We keep stats with RISP already. The "LISP" stat is indirectly available. We have At Bits with RISP, and Hits with RISP, so LISP is (At Bats with RISP - Hits with RISP).
Yeah I can see if you have a team website and utilize the API's you can get an estimate of LISP but still doesn't give an individual's LOB or true LISP.

Definition of LISP "Runners left in scoring position refers to the number of runners on second or third base at the end of an inning". Runners on 2nd, batter hits a single to the OF, runner on 2nd holds up at 3rd. Batter technically leaves a runner in scoring position. But the example wouldn't indicate that. The example is really a calculation of batting average with RISP.

Also doesn't help in the middle of the day/weekend if we are on game 4 of a 7 game day/weekend (travel softball tournament for example). As a coach and scorekeeper, LOB is a valuable analytic tool in the middle of say a tournament to determine batting orders. I just feel this would be a great stat to add the individual as well as team statistics directly in the app.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:50 am

You would not need a team website and APIs to calculate the LISP. You could email yourself the data in Excel or CSV format, open it in a spreadsheet, and add the calculated column. Or you could just email the statistics and look at the AB/RSP and H/RSP numbers and make a determination.

And really isn't Average with RSP what you are looking for anyway (which iScore supplies)? If a player strikes out with runners on 2nd + 3rd (2 LOB) and another player strikes out with a runner only on 3rd, is he a better player because there was only 1 runner in scoring position when he struck out?

However, your definition of "Runners left in scoring position refers to the number of runners on second or third base at the end of an inning" is the point we were trying to make earlier. An individual is not responsible for "LOB". If there are 0 outs and a runner on third, and the next three batters all strike out, there is only 1 LOB. If we assigned an LOB to each of those three batters, then when you add the LOB up, you would get 3 which is not correct. If we assigned the LOB only to the player that made the third out of the inning, that would not be fair either.
Egghead_#8

Post by Egghead_#8 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:18 am

I'll agree that Average with RISP is a good and useful stat and I agree it becomes a tricky number when your 3, 4, 5 batters all strike out leaving say a runner on 2nd base. But look at it this way, runners on 2nd and 3rd and 1 out (runners got on after the first out for example). #4 up to bat strikes out. #5 singles to the gap and both runs score but the batter/runner is thrown out at 2nd AFTER the 2nd run scores. So team leaves none on base but my cleanup batter came up in an RBI situation and left 2 runners in scoring position. Just because the 5th hitter cleared them off the bases doesn't take to responsibility off the 4 hitter. Average with RISP doesn't tell the full story about that at bat. You could continue that story by saying that same situation happened again in the 3rd inning as well. Then in the 6th inning and the 9th inning #4 comes up both times with 2nd and 3rd 1 out and singles both times driving in both runners each time. Then #5 comes up and hits into a double play both times. So my #4 hitter is batting .500 with RISP but didn't drive in 4 more potential runs.

Just saying as a coach making a lineup it's useful to know if a certain batter and/or position in the lineup is leaving runners out there.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:23 am

We will add the request to our enhancement list. Thank you.
AE32170C18

Post by AE32170C18 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:18 pm

I agree. I keep it on iscore and in a book. The book is for stats like this. If they are not moving them then I put someone in that spot that will. OBP and LOB are two stats I count on.This will be a great addition.