Minor enhancements

If you have an idea for improving the product, please post it here and we will try and prioritize updates based on the most popular requests.
bsweetser

Minor enhancements

Post by bsweetser » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:24 am

I may use iScore a little differently that others in the forum seem to, and I have just started using it, but there are a couple things I think my be helpful and help with the usability a bit that I thought I would pass on from my initial experience.

I currently score baseball games (mostly MLB) on paper. I've done it for as long as I can remember, and I enjoy it, but I'm also a bit of a computer geek, and I love to play with other tools out there for scoring. Before I would think of trying to replace my good ol' pencil and paper with something like iScore, I wanted to play with it by entering a couple games I recently attended. I thought this would be a good way to see stats for games I attend.

1. I would really like to change the name/date/start time of the game to match the actual date of the game, not just when I enter it. In most cases, people will likely use the program for entering data live, but there may be some cases where someone might want to fill out something after the fact for completeness of stats. I changed the name when I created the game, but it didn't stick.

2. When adding new players, I think it would be helpful to start with focus right in the name field to start typing the name. This currently requires an extra tap. (yes, this is very minor).

3. I'm not sure if anyone else finds they are doing this, but when entering in players, I found myself hitting the "Done" button at the top of the screen rather than the "Return" button on the keyboard to exit the keyboard entry. I'm not really sure what could be done about that... I've trained myself against doing this, but it took a little work.

4. For batting order, I can understand having players in a particular order, but all other players end up listed in the order they are entered. This can make it a bit more difficult to find a particular player to add. Perhaps sorting non-batting players alphabetically (or grouping by usual position) would help?

5. How about something to change the batting status on multiple players at once. Rather than just having the delete icon, do something akin to email where you hit the Edit button in the upper right hand corner, and you can select multiple players. At the bottom of the screen, you can delete or toggle batting status (in the Mail program it is Delete or Move to folder).

6. BUG - Because I was working with an already completed game, I may have run into an issue others might not experience. I created a game, and then went back into the Manager to enter the remaining players on the team rosters. I changed the status of some players I had initially entered while I was there, to "Not batting". When I returned to the game to set the lineups, the players whose status I had change had lost their uniform numbers (they displayed as -1) and position.

7. I would like to see something to better distinguish between at bats - perhaps different background colors when the visitor vs. the home team is batting?

8. I didn't see an option to mark a walk as intentional. I was expecting something similar to when someone hits or gets out.

9. Entering a game after the fact, I didn't have information as to where a ball was hit when someone gets a base hit. iScore currently forces you to mark where the ball was hit... is there any way to bypass that? I would rather not put in false information if I don't know where (I think this is great for live scoring).

So far this looks great. I look forward to seeing where it goes moving forward.

Thanks,
ben
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Minor enhancements

Post by FTMSupport » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:47 am

Wow, Ben! Thank you very much for the great suggestions... very well thought out.

A few of these we have addressed in our upcoming release, and we will be adding the rest to our list of enhancements to be prioritized for upcoming releases.

Thank you for spending the time putting together this list as it will help us make sure we are truly delivering the best baseball scoring application for the iPhone.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs