Additional Pitching/Hitting Stats

If you have an idea for improving the product, please post it here and we will try and prioritize updates based on the most popular requests.
nemosgold

Additional Pitching/Hitting Stats

Post by nemosgold » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:36 am

Could we look at the following pitch stats:

2 of first 3 pitches strikes
CB Str%
CH Str %
1 pitch outs
1 pitch hits

Hitting:
Well Hit %
Quality AB %
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Additional Pitching/Hitting Stats

Post by FTMSupport » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:26 pm

Some of these things fall into "analytics" which we have two third parties that can provide deeper dive statistics like this ... http://edgehq.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and TruMedia Networks (http://www.trumedianetworks.com/scoring-applications/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

Well Hit % is a subjective measurement that would require entry on every play asking if it was a well hit ball, and we do not really want to add anything that will make scorekeeping any slower.

Quality at Bat is another statistic that is subjective. We see varied definitions from many different baseball sources and we do not want to define another one. It would also vary by age level which makes it hard to quantify.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
nemosgold

Post by nemosgold » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:09 am

We used your program last year. I thought it already asked whether or not a ball was hit hard or not?

We used iscore last year and we are trying to decide between your program and another. We don't use this software to keep our stats. We can't afford to pay $200 a year to edgehq to get analysis reports.

Guess we'll try another app.
jcbeckman

Post by jcbeckman » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:29 am

You can designate "Hard," "Medium," or "Soft" hit currently. "Well" hit is subjective and not necessarily the same as "Hard" hit. "Well" could include well-placed, but medium or soft, hits.
nemosgold

Post by nemosgold » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:15 am

Not too many coaches are worried about well-placed hits. A hard hit ball is the result of a quality at-bat. A lot of coaches want a way to measure quality at-bats, so can kids can focus on the result not on the outcome.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:38 am

Again, quality at-bat is very subjective and changes with age level. In high school softball, ball placement becomes more important in many situations than just "hard hit". At the youngest ages, just getting a ball in play may be considered a quality at bat. By some measures, seeing 8+ pitches in an at bat (fouling off many and working the pitcher) is considered a quality at bat even if it ends in a strikeout. There is not a well defined measure for quality at bat that would apply across the board.
ek1123

Post by ek1123 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:49 pm

Quality At Bat would be a very useful stat to keep. It would not require any other input by the user (slowing down the scoring process).
You would just need to define the criteria that would be logically used to qualify the at bat as a Quality At Bat.
An example would be something like this that I think most any coach would agree upon:

Any of the following would meet the criteria:
1: The user selected 'Hard' as the type of ball hit
2: Walk
3: Hit by pitch
4: Sacrifice Bunt
5: Sacrifice Fly
6: RBI when runner at 3rd with < 2 outs
7: Base hit
8: 6 pitch at bat not ending in a K
9: 9 pitch at bat even if it ends in a K
10: Advance runner from 2nd base with < 2 outs

I'm sure there is some level of subjectivity, but at least a baseline QAB % stat recorded would be very nice.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:58 pm

The definition you provide is a nice one, but we have seen at least 5 or 6 definitions of QAB. It is not a well defined statistic. If it was well defined, we would likely add it, but we are not going to add something where there are 5 or 6 interpretations or we will constantly get support questions and not have a solid answer for it.

Even looking at your definition, there are holes in it. Why would any Walk be a quality at bat? what if it was an intentional walk?

Why would an RBI when runner at 3rd with < 2 outs be quality, but not RBI with runner on second or RBI with runner on third and two outs?

If you search for Quality at Bat on Google, you will find many definitions, and no two seem to be the same. Many are subjective (such as "player hiting 'their pitch'). It is just too ambiguous to define.
mprusak

Post by mprusak » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:17 pm

Maybe an easy compromise would be to capture the quantity of "Hard", "Medium", "Soft" and the total of the 3, in the players stats. I think this where the OP was originally going. Users could then run their own calculations how they see fit.

Hard/AB
(Hard+Med)/PA
Hard/(Total Hard, Med, Soft)

Since we are capturing the information anyway, its no additional work for the user.

I could see where some users might find this information informative.

I also agree with FTM on the ambiguity of anything more that this...
Mark
iScore Baseball 4.533 on iOS8-iPad4 and iPhone 6-Plus

iScore Baseball User Manual:
http://iscoreleagues.com/manual/ <- Check it Out!
ek1123

Post by ek1123 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:45 am

FTMSupport,

Thanks for the reply, I wanted to respond to a couple of the holes you identified in my previous definition, and offer a possible enhancement idea for your consideration.

'Even looking at your definition, there are holes in it. Why would any Walk be a quality at bat? what if it was an intentional walk?'
This is obviously one of the subjective elements, but from my standpoint we are trying to get runners on base, score runs, and win games. A walk contributes to that cause, and I wouldn't count it against the batter for that reason. Some would rather not count a walk as an at bat in the calculation at all.

'Why would an RBI when runner at 3rd with < 2 outs be quality, but not RBI with runner on second or RBI with runner on third and two outs?'
The RBI with a runner on second or RBI with runner on third and two outs would not need an additional definition in the criteria because in each case the at bat would qualify because either a)it was a base hit, or b)it was user selected as hit 'Hard' (if it was not hit hard, and they scored on error it would not meet the criteria).

I will agree to disagree that having nothing is better than something somewhat subjective, but I certainly understand from the user support angle.

An idea to offer for enhancement consideration would be to offer a list of criteria in the user settings that could be used to qualify each at bat as a QAB. Present a list with most of the settings checked(or selected to be used as the qualifying criteria in the program logic) by default. Then each coach or user could have it defined their way using a check box selection-or de-selection of the criteria they want used.

Maybe more programming effort required than you want to entertain, but I thought I'd throw it out there.