Desktop companion?

If you have an idea for improving the product, please post it here and we will try and prioritize updates based on the most popular requests.
jcbeckman

Desktop companion?

Post by jcbeckman » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:40 am

Any plans for a desktop companion? I'd like to be able to enter/import/edit players with a *real* keyboard (I'm entering players for at least 3 different years of APBA Baseball and probably some for Superstar Baseball and real MLB). I'm almost halfway through the NL for one year and it's just a royal pain entering everything that way.

A desktop version might also allow people with multiple iPhones to have a way to pool their data and then return the pooled data to each iPhone.
jdonato

Re: Desktop companion?

Post by jdonato » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:14 am

FTM can verify, but I believe they have stated that we will have a Web companion but no Desktop companon in the near future.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:07 am

jdonato is correct - we are working on a web interface that will allow you to modify things via a website and import that data into your iPhone / iPod Touch. We do not have a release date set for that interface yet. The long delay in approval on 2.0 has really hurt our planning efforts.

Thank you.
jcbeckman

Post by jcbeckman » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:12 am

That will work too - thanks!
jplevine

Post by jplevine » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:21 am

I too would like to see such a companion as it will be much easier to load larger amounts of data in a short period of time. One suggestion would be if it would have the capability to upload an Excel or csv file containing roster info. That would be a big help.

Also, once this website is complete, do you need to create another version of the app for the iPhone (requiring another lengthy approval process) or will the existing version already be able to access the data on the web site?

Thanks again for a terrific product.
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:55 am

Previously posted by FTM in other parts of the forum....

their intention is to build out a web portal / app (that is independent of apple approval cycles :D ) but is not a desktop client (PC or Mac). They beleive they can get most the benefits folks want in a desktop companion through SaaS or a web browser.

One (in a long list) of the items they have stated is on their list for web porta is ability to enter larger amounts of information, like lineups and defensive positions (via desktop/laptop keyboard and the web) and then have a way to import into your hand held . I have not seen more detail on how and when. but it is on their mind and list...

In sum, I believe FTM has captured your idea and it is on their list but not in desktop client form, but by web browser data entry methods..
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:44 am

That is correct... will not require a new version for us to get the web portal up and running --- we will be using the export/import functionality built into iScore already to send your database to our server, allow you to access the data, and get the data back onto your device.
Webertiger

Post by Webertiger » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:08 am

That sounds great. What's the timeline look like? Fall ball starts in two weeks.

What I mean is: Should I start entering info tediously on the iPhone or should I wait.

Thanks!
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:25 am

You should probably start entering into the iPhone... at least your first couple of opponents rosters if you know them. We are working on the website, but do not have a timeline yet. Thank you.
Webertiger

Post by Webertiger » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:01 am

Thanks, Support.