Web Gems

If you have an idea for improving the product, please post it here and we will try and prioritize updates based on the most popular requests.
OhioTex

Web Gems

Post by OhioTex » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:03 am

Although not traditional in box scores and score books, it would be nice to have the capability to assign and track "exceptional fielding plays". Building off of ESPN Baseball tonight – call it the "Web Gem" stat (Defense: WG).

Use and assignment of 'Web Gems' of course would be optional and judgmental (like errors) but can be as valuable as errors in helping coach and reward positive performance on the field, and track standout defenders.

It could be implemented much like errors as a button, placed directly underneath 'errors' on the 'misc' screen, and work similar to assigning errors.. ."touch each player(s) involved in the exceptional defensive play to assign player a web gem"... Could then add a WG stat column in the HTML, and excel report outs, plus add to the player cards.. Now how cool would that be?

If this sounds like something others in the community would like to see and prioritized in future relase... please chime in..
bsweetser

Re: Web Gems

Post by bsweetser » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:50 am

I hadn't really considered this as a 'stat' before some much as something where notes would come in handy, but it sounds like a cool idea to me.

ben
brianpilon

Post by brianpilon » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:23 am

I think that would be awesome Idea. I never remember how the good plays go by the end of the game. This option would be perfect. We like to reward great effort and with this added players may try harder if they know we track it now. Great idea

Brian
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:39 am

thanks for the input... please keep them coming...

I agree it is tailor made to notes.. I suspect many of us use some notation on our score books today (star or multiple stars) to mark and recall exceptional plays. We do, and i am looking forward to being able to do this electronically with play specific notes. That is how i have been thinking of capturing great defensive plays. But, as notes are not here yet (and i suspect some what complicated to program and takes a bit of storage memory) - I thought this may be an easy and efficient way to get a lot of bang for the programming buck in the short term.

As to the reward side, I like the idea of being able to capture and track over time on a “players card”. Season or career web gems. When watching TV the other night, I found out ESPN tracks the pros number of web gems over a season (and maintains a top list) . I thought, wow that would be cool for the kids. We like to recognize and reward outstanding positive plays in the field too - especially for little leaguers. We often give out game balls based on some of them. Have talked about some kind of gold glove awards. Having the fielding stats we are going to getin v 2.0, will give us a much more objective process for that and i would like to factor in web gems like we do errors. I think the kids will like it (and parents will not feel as subjective)
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:27 pm

We have had a similar suggestion in the past... I think someone called it a "Star Play" before, and we have it on our list for future enhancements as well. Didn't think of including it as a stat, only denoting it on the scorecard/play by play listing, but including it as a stat is an interesting idea as well, and we will add that to the list of future enhancements as well.

Thank you.