Rain delay

If you have an idea for improving the product, please post it here and we will try and prioritize updates based on the most popular requests.
Rkaarjj

Rain delay

Post by Rkaarjj » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:03 pm

Is there a way to suspend the game time due to a rain delay?
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Rain delay

Post by FTMSupport » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:26 pm

You can just stop scoring and resume scoring whenever the game starts back up. There is no need to do anything special. If you are using iScorecast and want people to know there is a rain delay, you can enter a note like "Delayed due to rain".
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
Camerabry

Post by Camerabry » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:10 am

But the clock keeps going. That's the problem.
danmcc

Post by danmcc » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:53 am

You could make a note at the time of the delay, "game delayed at 1 hr 08 min" then pick up the last 52 minutes when the game resumes.
brian_oshea

Post by brian_oshea » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:18 am

Is the simplest way not to end game, the clock will stop, and when the game resumes hit undo and the clock will start again and you can continue scoring the game?
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:03 am

The game timer is just "current time" - "game start time" (time that Play was pressed to begin scoring). There is not a timer that is started and stopped for a game. If we started trying to handle rain delays, then we would have to handle an unlimited number of delays, and it adds a lot of additional logic that does not really add value to keeping score for a game. The umpire keeps the official time for a game. We added the game clock as a nicety for people that wanted to see how much time a game has been played, but there is nothing official about it.

We have the enhancement on our list, but in our view, it is a very low priority request since it is unofficial and informational, not a statistic.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Camerabry

Post by Camerabry » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:48 am

Adding a note will be the easiest to get around it for now. Even if you added a timer that we could stop and start just for our own use that might be a good enough answer. It comes up an awful lot though here in Florida. If we know time is within a minute or two the coaches might make a mound visit or a plate visit.
PetroGuy

Post by PetroGuy » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:46 am

I agree with Camerabry that the game time is important. However, as FTM has stated, this is more informational. Also, there are plenty of timer apps in all of the app stores for the different phones. Also, I have found I can't always get an announcement of when the clock starts. Plus, I might not be ready to hit 'Play' when the announcement is made. For this reason, I run a countdown timer app in the background and reference it when it is really close. Our coaches also do this and they get the official start time at the plate meeting before the game. I think FTMs approach is probably best.
Check out the iScore documentation page!
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:14 pm

ok, i can't resist putting in my two cents.. Last year we set a record for most rain fall in a year in central ohio. rain outs were rampant, high schools lost half their games in many cases. I had a whole lot of rain delay and rain out games. I would have liked to have the "game manager" and "score cast" post rain delay or R ... just my two cents

I can see where our southern California developers are less concerned about rain delays (and snow delays for that matter)
garyholeman

Post by garyholeman » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:27 pm

I haven't come across this need for keeping time suspended for a rain delay. I just recently switched from the iOS version to the Android version of iscorebaseball. We were in a tournament last week with 90 minute time limits on games. The umpire keeps the official start time, but I also press Play when the umpire says "play ball," so we have a record of official start time. I noticed, however, that my app will not show me a start time until after the game is over. I could have sworn that the iOS version showed me start time even during the game. That would be useful to have when people ask me, "What time did we start?" All I could say is, "I'll tell you after the game is over."