Alternate scorecard formats (future.feature.request Ideas)

If you have an idea for improving the product, please post it here and we will try and prioritize updates based on the most popular requests.
rustyduncan

Re: Alternate scorecard formats

Post by rustyduncan » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:35 am

Just wanted to add my opinion that some sort of situational scoresheet is very desirable. I also use Reisner's printed sheets, but with my own method.

I hope you will work a deal with him as it would make your application even more awesome than it already is.

--> Rusty

PS - I saw mention of an iPad version of this app. Until now I didn't have a strong reason to get an iPad. But, wow i can just imagine scoring on it!
brentwalker

Post by brentwalker » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:36 am

Here is one reason/example of why situational scorekeeping is so important.

Below is a link to a scorecard of a game where a pinch runner was thrown out at 2nd base. However, looking at the scorecard (top of 7th inning, batter in 4 hole), it appears that Colby McDade received a ground hit single up the middle but was later thrown out stealing second.

However this is not the case. Vincent Martinez was the hitter of record (DH for Colby McDade who is the Center Fielder of record). After hitting a single up the middle, Colby McDade was entered as the runner for himself.

Christian DeLeon then was next at bat and with Colby McDade at first. Colby attempted a steal of 2nd base but was thrown out thus ending Christians at-bat.

This would be clear if using a situation approach to scorecard formatting.

http://foster.walkerzone.com/Games/2010 ... ayCity.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is there any progress on adding support for additional scorecard formats?
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:47 am

No progress currently on adding situational scorecards. The play by play and pitch by pitch listings will show the pinch runner that came in, and the scorecard should as well (as we noted in the other thread you posted this in).

The support behind alternate scorecards has honestly not been that high compared to many higher priority items (data sharing for example). We will continually evaluate priorities, and do have alternate scorecard formats on the list, but it is still not currently at the top based on customer demand.

Thank you.
brentwalker

Post by brentwalker » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:38 am

I am disappointed that this has not made it higher on your list given the activity on this thread. So I have created a new topic specifically discussing the priority of this request.

The problem with play by play and pitch by pitch is that most people just want to look at the scorecard. Most people don't want to read through the play by play listing. They just want a quick glance at the scorecard. Looking at the scorecard even if the PR existed would be confusing. Did Colby get credit for the base hit single up the middle? It shows him coming into the game in the seventh inning. If PR existed would that mean that someone came in as a pinch runner for Colby?

As far as data sharing? Yes a nice feature to have, but a must have feature, for me the answer would be no. I would much more prefer a scorecard that provides more detail without having to read the play by play or the pitch by pitch.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:21 pm

We understand your desire for the scorecard, and have it on our list. Data sharing is BY FAR the top requested feature. The only requests we get for the alternate scorecard are in this thread. Data sharing requests come through multiple requests in the forum, emails regularly from users, and people asking to move data between devices all the time. It is really no comparison. We will keep the alternate scorecard on the priority list, but it will have to remain a lower priority for now.

If there is a PR in the box score, it would be clear the pinch runner came in for the batter. You would not have a pinch runner had the batter not made it to the base. In fact, the PR actually shows the jersey number of the player that came in as a pinch runner, so you would know that person did not make the base hit.
brentwalker

Post by brentwalker » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:41 pm

ok, white flag, throwing in the towel...
OhioTex

Re: Alternate scorecard formats (FYI)

Post by OhioTex » Thu May 25, 2017 5:37 am

in Appreciation of and in honor of an early forum community member @brentwalker who taught me a lot and i hope is doing well

I know this is an old post, but i was doing some separate research on scorekeeping and Alex Reisner situational scorebook kept coming up for a higher end scorecard. i recalled Brent Walker advocated this years ago, so i thought i would update the forum..with the following post i found on the web
Alex Reisner on June 1, 2011, 01:54 pm wrote: 3) A lot of people have asked about scorekeeping with mobile devices and unfortunately I just don't think I'm going to have the time. The best way to keep score on a computer anyway is not to mimic what you do on a paper scorecard--the interface should be completely different, so printing would be the only Reisner-specific aspect. I've heard that iScore is already doing a good job with a event entry interface (from what I've seen it looks good) and so getting them to support output in Reisner format would probably be your best bet. I know a few other people have written to them about this (including me) and apparently they're interested but for some reason we haven't been able to connect.

source: http://www.reisnerscorekeeping.com/messages/74
the alternate scorecard has long been a lower development priority, but as iScore looks for ways to differentiate itself from other competitors and establish itself as the authoritative source for mobile scoreing for high level youth and amateur baseball/softball teams , I thought it was interesting to find the reference that Risner thought highly of iScore and some partnership interest too.

Related iscore threads:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5739&p=25806
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10231&p=42418
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1188
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=287&p=1255
iScore Baseball/Softball
* FAQ http://iscoresports.com//baseball/support.php
* Updated Manual http://iscoresports.com/baseball/manual.php?gd=1
* Stat Formulas http://data.iscorecentral.com/legend.ph ... internal=1