Alternate scorecard formats (future.feature.request Ideas)

If you have an idea for improving the product, please post it here and we will try and prioritize updates based on the most popular requests.
Ed C.

Alternate scorecard formats (future.feature.request Ideas)

Post by Ed C. » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:53 am

I'm a new user, and so far I really like the application! Thanks for making this available.

I'd like to suggest a few other possible scorecard output formats other than the "traditional" format you currently use. I understand that this is what many people want, but a growing number are recognizing the limitations and complexities that make it hard to use and read (although your app makes it a breeze to do the actual scoring!). Here are two output formats that should not be difficult to implement, since you already have all the information collected:

1.) Project Scorecard format (created by Craig Wright, Gary Gillette, Dave Cortesi and others; one document can be found at http://alexreisner.com/baseball/docs/Al" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false ... n.v1.0.pdf or google "project scoresheet"). This text-based scorekeeping format is pretty easy to read once you get the abbreviations for hit locations. It is also used by retrosheet.org in an attempt to gather scoring for all MLB games from the beginning to the present.

2.) For a number of years I've been using Alex Reisner's "Situational Scorekeeping" method (http://www.reisnerscorekeeping.com/how" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false - note: I'm not connected with him, just a user). One feature is that he does not switch to a new column every inning; innings are denoted by a horizontal line similar to your purple pitcher change line. This makes sense to me as each column represents a run through the batting order, and it makes for a more compact card. The other major change is that each box represents the current situation when the batter gets to the plate and the just results of that particular batter rather than the player's history around the base paths. It's easy to infer the runner's actions between the boxes.

Now, I realize that this may be low on your priorities since many of the users appear to be scorekeepers for non-professional games (youth, softball, etc.) but I have seen a possible "pro" version mentioned elsewhere; perhaps these could go on that list.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Alternate scorecard formats

Post by FTMSupport » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:19 am

Thank you for the suggestions. We will keep these formats in mind as we continue to expand the functionality of iScore Baseball.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
Phantom Sage

Post by Phantom Sage » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:21 pm

I also use Alex Reisner's scorecard. Have been for 4-5 years. It is the most logical and easiest method to keep track of what is going on in a game on paper.

Mentioned this a few months ago when we were back in v1.6, but if this were an output option it would be greatly appreciated by any of us nomadic types that have ventured to the Alex Reisner method.
brentwalker

Post by brentwalker » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:31 pm

I also use Alex's scorecard and am glad I found this thread. I was going to submit this request myself but will jump on the band wagon and suggest that Alex's scorecard is much much easier to read than the one presently being used by iScore. You could not recreate a game situation with the standard scorecard. With Alex's scorecard you can do that

Another great feature I use alot is the ability to add notes to a particular at bat box by using an asterisk. At the bottom of the scorecard I record the at bat box number which are all sequentially numbered and then add any additional comments that may better describe the play or mental error (which you know is not a statistical error in the scorebook).

I prefer the way that balls/strikes/foul balls are recorded. I like the way that you indicate an at bat and stolen bases both within the at bat box and with the indication in the balls/stikes colums allowing you to understand exactly what the pitch count was when the base was stolen.

All of this data is already collected currently. It is just thrown away when using the current scorecard.

Please consider using this scorecard. I can send you scanned in copies of the games I have previously recorded as examples if needed. Others using this method could send theirs as well I'm sure.

I think that for most the Project Scorecard is a bit over kill unless you are a Professional Minor/Major league scorekeeper.

I would recommend Alex Reisners Scorecard for this app! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

brent at walkerzone dot com
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:22 pm

Alternate scorecards is something we may support in future versions. For now, we only support the traditional scorecard as that is what the majority of people are used to. Plays can be completely recreated by going to the Pitch by Pitch listing in game manager. Version 2.0 has additional ways to see the play completely recreated such as "iScorecast" which will allow you to "replay" previously scored games.
brentwalker

Post by brentwalker » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:18 am

Ok, so just to clarify, when I spoke of recreate, I was referring to the ability to look at the scorecard and understand exactly what happend during an at bat. Most folks will be sending their scorecards to a website or google docs site (as previously discussed on the site under a different thread) for their players/fans to see what happened during the game. I was simply trying to imply that the current "traditional" scorecard does not do that effectively although does give a general overview of runs scored, and at bat information. It is generally devoid of other important information which is why many of us prefer the "Situational Scorecard".

This would certainly fit within the PRO designation when iScore becomes two product offerings. The "pro" scorer would want more information available on their scorecard. The great thing is that you already collect all of the information necessary to populate this scorecard. If the PRO version supported this situational scorecard, I would re-purchase even at the $20 rate.
brentwalker

Post by brentwalker » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:41 am

An additional comment...(about scorecards only!)

I hope this is being seriously considered. I have now scored several games using the 1.65 version of this software and have had several scorecards from iScore to review. I would have to say that there is so much backtracking required using the current scorecard that it makes it almost un-usable. Backtracking is described as having to look forwards and backwards at other batters to try to figure what happened at an at bat. Ok, sure you can go back to the pitch by pitch feature but that not available to readers of the scorecard. People want to know what happened during an at bat.

Why not just demonstrate the events of the "at bat" in the person at bat box, such as who is at bat, what runners are on base and then what happened during the at bat? You record all of the details already in iScore. Please report it that way on the scorecard. I would have attached a sample here but do not see a place for attachments. Please send me an email address I can reply to and I'll happily send you a copy of the scorecard created by iScore and a copy of the situation scorecard I created at the game. Both scorecards are of the same game. It was a double header and I can send both if you want.

brentwalker at Yahoo dot commmmmm.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:15 am

We understand the difference between traditional scorecards and the situational scorecards. We chose to use the traditional scorecard as that is what the vast majority of people are used to, and what all Youth Sports require for official scorekeeping. We would never be able to abandon the traditional scorecard, even with its shortcomings.

That being said, we will be looking to add additional output formats with future releases.

Thank you.
brentwalker

Post by brentwalker » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:21 am

I understand the need for traditional scorekeeping and LittleLeague. I used those when I didn't know better. Not that that is a bad thing but as I have progressed in my scorekeeping needs like my son has through LittleLeague and now HighSchool, I am left wanting more.

I look forward to a future version, maybe the PRO version, that would have this functionality.

Thanks
brentwalker

Post by brentwalker » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:21 pm

Any updates on the addition of supporting additional scorecard methods, like situational scorecards?