Softball Scorebook - Enhancement Request

If you have an idea for improving the product, please post it here and we will try and prioritize updates based on the most popular requests.
bentfrog

Softball Scorebook - Enhancement Request

Post by bentfrog » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:45 pm

I am new to iScore and it is awesome. I especially love the Scorebook output. I was wondering if it was possible to have the scorebook output present the fill colour for runs in either green (for earned runs) or red (for unearned runs) rather than the blue we have now. iScore could calculate this with the ability for a scorer to override this or we can just set it manually if thats too hard.

I was also wondering if it is possible to be able to customise the colours used for each of the differing types of events. In Softball we use blue to represent anything to do with the battery (PB, WP, IP, K2, KC, etc), green to represent safe hits (bunts, slap hits, singles, double, triples, home runs and automatic home runs), earned runs and the inclusion of the DP in the batting list, red to represent errors and black for everything else. The exact colours and how they are used are a bit complex but still quantifiable and thus programmable. For instance, if the lead runner advances on a PB4 (where 4 is the batting position that faced the pitch) that would be written in blue and any subsequent runner who advance on the same PB4 would be written in black and circled to show it is the same one and does get counted twice. I can appreciate that baseball may be different so perhaps the ability to customise or have it switch based on the sport selected since we can select that it is a softball game.

I guess my ultimate goal would be for the scorebook out put to look the same as the hand written ones. The reason for this is if they come out the same - we may actually be able to get rid of the hand written ones and have everyone scoring electronically and submitting the scoresheets to the Association - utopia for me!
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Softball Scorebook - Enhancement Request

Post by FTMSupport » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:17 pm

We have had the request for showing earned vs unearned runs on the scorecard before, so it is on our enhancement list already.

We already have a set of colors we use on the scorecards (Green is hit safely, Red is an Out, Yellow is reached on error, FC, etc). Blue is used for runners advancing the bases. It is unlikely we are going to change the color coding we have been using for 3 years now. We show the batter # for runner advancements right on the baseline that the runner advanced on.

Thank you for the suggestions.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
bentfrog

Post by bentfrog » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:14 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply. Perhaps I didnt explain myself well. I was not suggesting that you change the colours on the scoresheet, I was suggesting that they be customisable so the user can choose whether to keep the colours you have used for 3 years or select colours that better suit their sport. I am suggesting this as I know that more softball scorers would use this software if it were tailored or could be configure to better suit softball.
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:41 pm

The scorebook notation iscore uses is not inteded to be baseball centric.
Neither baseball nor softball to my knowledge has a major governing body standardizing colors as Traditional score books were in plain pencil.
bentfrog

Post by bentfrog » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:56 pm

I have just completed my Level 2 scorers Accrediation course in Softball and colours are mandatory at this level. It was at this course that your product was brought to my attention and its merits were discussed. The consensus was that this is the best product for softball at the moment and I do agree with that. I am merely hoping to make it a better fit for my sport.

Softball Australia requires Level 2 for association scorers, Level 3 for State Championship, Level 4 for National Championships and Levels 5 or 6 for International matches. All levels above Level 2 must use colours and pencil is not permitted above Level 1. At level 1 we are only recording how a batter makes it to 1st base, if they got a run and that they progressed around the bases - not how they got to each base after 1st. Here is a link to the Softball Australia website's Scoring resources section.
http://www.softball.org.au/extra.asp?id ... menu=16218" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
On this page you can see links to the instruction manual explaining how each colour is implemented. This is a link to a list of the symbols used and the colour they are to appear in http://admin.softball.org.au/_uploads/res/1_59556.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jcbeckman

Post by jcbeckman » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:48 am

That sure seems radically different from the scorecard being generated by iScore - and I'm not talking about the colors. It seems to be entirely text/symbol based without the lines showing where the ball went on the diamond.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:49 am

It is unlikely we will be supporting that format unless there are a very large number of users that start requesting it. We based ours on the traditional scorebook that has been used in the US for a very long time (by both baseball and softball).
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs