Sabermetrics

If you have an idea for improving the product, please post it here and we will try and prioritize updates based on the most popular requests.
dohboy32847

Sabermetrics

Post by dohboy32847 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:18 am

Any word on adding wOBA as a batting stat for those sabermetric fans out there?
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Sabermetrics

Post by FTMSupport » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:12 am

There are way too many derivative stats for us to start including them all.

What we DO want to provide is enough information that people can calculate all the derivative stats they want so they can use the ones that are important to them.

The equation for wOBA is:

(0.72xNIBB + 0.75xHBP + 0.90x1B + 0.92xRBOE + 1.24x2B + 1.56x3B + 1.95xHR) / PA

The one thing we are missing that would allow you to calculate this is RBOE (on base by error). We do supply all the other numbers. I will add inclusion of "on base by error" stat to our list.

That actually brings up an interesting point in this calculation though... why should on base by error be valued as a player's output? That is a hole in the defense, and can not be relied upon for future results, so why is it a positive for a hitter? I'm sure the debates could go on for days on the significance of various values in these derivative stats, and I certainly don't want to start that argument, but we do want to provide enough information that you can get to the values you want.

Thank you.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
Phantom Sage

Post by Phantom Sage » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:26 pm

I think the answer to this (for those of us stats-happy fans) is similar to a stat I use that I call contact. In younger players I like to measure contact at bat that includes a count of all balls put into play divided by PA.

This stat noted in thread includes contact less outs + BB and HBP - I suppose a way to measure a statisticaly different OBP?
dohboy32847

Post by dohboy32847 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:38 pm

I am a big believer in measuring a player's ability to get on base. OBP unfortunately ignores RBOE. wOBA "rewards" the player for putting the ball in play and forcing the defense to make the play. Regardless, RBOE is a result where a player reaches base, which, in my opinion, should be taken into consideration for OBP as well.

Thanks for the great app!
brianpilon

Post by brianpilon » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:47 am

I coach younger girls and OBP is important I would love to tract balls hit! For younger girls I'm happy if they make contact!
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:19 am

I appreciate the challenge of tracking every imaginable derivative stat, and your approach to prioritize the base elements first. I also appreciate the value of having "common" calculated stats you really like (e.g, Batting Average, Slugging %, wOBA) already calculated for you and in the automated output and web postings.

agree putting the ball in play has huge value, especially in little league.

So I would vote for both RBOE in future release (first priority)
(as it is missing element to enable wOBA and/or other variations of on base percent ).
But would also vote (secondary priority) to add wOBA (as defined by sabermetrics), because it is now pretty widely reported/used. having the calculation done on the fly and in their "baseball cards" sure is helpful to see a players strengths. Many would say it is more informative than slugging percent (which is just another made up derivative stat too).

Along the lines of elemental stats like RBOE, would you consider "Put Outs" as one? I have been surprised iScore does not tabulate "Put Outs", in end of game stats output by batter (it does when when recapping a batters prior plate appearances on main scoring page). Like other posters, I do a rough "ball in play" (contact %) calc by adding hits and put outs and dividing by Plate appearances. (technically I guess I should add in RBOE)

Can you consider adding "Put out" as a base element column in bater stats?
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:54 am

We have put outs as a Fielding Stat in version 2.0. How would a Put Out appear in an offensive stat recap? We have not seen that in any standard offensive stat recaps before.

I think it really just comes down to including On Base by Error (RBOE) as an offensive stat. If that were included, all of the above could be calculated (including the original poster's question).

For "ball in play / contact %", are you really just tracking the non-strikeout percentage? You wouldn't want to penalize for walks/hit by pitch. The only thing that might make that different is you DO want to include sacrifice bunts/sac flies.

Using the stats we currently have, how about this for Contact %:

Contact % = ( (AB - SO) + SAC ) / (AB + SAC)

I believe this would account for all "hit balls" and give a percentage of times the player hit the ball vs making a strikeout.

I think (AB - SO) = (RBOE + "put outs" + FC) which are all "ball in play" scenarios.
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:44 pm

Glad RBOE is being included. I woudl still consider includingteh formal Samermetrics stat wOBA for those loyal followers and the formula you listed below.

Outs in fielding stats. got it. in v 2.0 (which i am sure is just about to be released by apple :)
In the offense line for a batter, just able to recap their at bat for a game easy, ie 3 plate apperances, 1 for 2 with a hit, a walk and a put out. that was all. Was not trying to overthink it.

As far as contact %, i would not worry about hard codeing it, leave it up to individuals to tabulate as it is probably not standard..and you have all the elements. In my case, I just wanted "bat on ball contact in the field of play contacts" -so intentionally excluded walks, reach on 3 strike outs, etc.. basically for young girls (and boys) putting ball into the field of play so defense has to make the play.. vs holding bat on shoulder and drawing walks or being strike out kings...
Phantom Sage

Post by Phantom Sage » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:37 pm

I concur on Contacts, it really is a measurement for the younger groups to keep tabs on who is swinging and making contact. OR finding those who aren't and working on why not.