Defensive Analysis

If you have an idea for improving the product, please post it here and we will try and prioritize updates based on the most popular requests.
JRG

Defensive Analysis

Post by JRG » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:56 am

Our team uses iScore for 14U Softball. We're a newly formed team, so there's a lot of moving players between positions as we work to find the best defensive setups.

Is there a way to pull more defense centric info out of iScore (or is it available using other tools)?

For example, I'd love to have a fielding report that:
1) Shows stats for players by position. IOW, stats for Sally at SS, stats for Sally at 3B
2) Adds inning played as a column
3) Adds pitch count (ideally w/Balls and Strikes). This is for analyzing PBs for catchers.

Getting more greedy, it would be great to roll up by either player OR position. I'd be happy to mock up an example of what I'm talking about if you'd like.

If the creation of such a report in the app is not deemed a priority is there a way to get access to the raw data (XML-based?) so that I could look at post processing and building my own such reports?

Thanks!
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Defensive Analysis

Post by FTMSupport » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:58 am

We have gotten this request occasionally (other than the "pitch count included" for stats), and it is on our enhancement list, but we do not hear the request often so it is low priority right now. If you have examples of what you are looking for, send us an email at support@iscoresports.com.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
JRG

Post by JRG » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:27 am

Thanks. Just sent you an email with screen shots of mocked up examples.
Egghead_#8

Post by Egghead_#8 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:23 am

Having defensive stats by position is critical for making a switch over from paper to electronic scoring. A player that plays 3B and 1B could have a .985 Fld % overall but if her fielding at 3B is .875 I don't know this based on the iScore stats. Overall fielding percentage is really irrelevant, IMO, in youth sports when kids are playing multiple positions during the season, even during every game. Please add ASAP. Thanks! I just did a quick search and found this post first in the list so if things have changed since this post I apologize but reviewing iScore on my iPad only shows me overall fielding per game
plivengood

Post by plivengood » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:39 am

+1, either done within iScore or by having analytics partners address defensive stats.
hy0

Post by hy0 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:33 pm

+1
clmazin

Post by clmazin » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:15 am

+1, especially considering catchers currently get inflated fielding percentages because they register a PO on every K.
Danger

Post by Danger » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:57 am

I'm not saying this wouldn't be a cool feature, but I'm curious why having it would be critical for making the switch from paper to electronic scoring (Egghead)? iScore gives you tons of built-in stats and analysis that you don't have on paper. And paper scorekeeping certainly doesn't give you this defensive analysis, so why would not having this one thing that you didn't have with the other method either keep you from making the switch when iScore gives you so much more?
Egghead_#8

Post by Egghead_#8 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:17 pm

@Danger I agree that this probably shouldn't be holding me back but in order to get true defensive stats I'd have to track on paper along with iScore. When I switch over I'd like to completely eliminate having paper records .. Mainly old dog new tricks kinda thing =D

@FTMSupport Since I'm at it would be nice to have this also track innings sat defensively .. important in travel softball to know how many innings each player has been on the bench ..
Danger

Post by Danger » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:44 am

Egghead, no need to do duplicate scorekeeping. Once you've completed a game, iScore furnishes a beautiful scoresheet (without all the crazy marks and erasures, and crumply rain-soaked books with ballpark hot dog chili dropped on them, etc. which typically happen during live paper scoring). If you're manually performing defensive stats, it's just as easy to do it from this printout.

I've scored about 500 games now and I can't recommend the program highly enough. I'd say if that's all that's holding you back, you should go ahead and make the transition with the knowledge that the defensive analysis is not currently available but might be in the future. Think of all the time you'll save not having to do all the OTHER stats! And you know that your paper scorekeeping isn't going to be adding auto-generated defensive analysis anytime soon, either. :)

(You can probably tell I'm a big cheerleader for the App... probably sold 10-12 of them at the ballparks myself over the last two years.)