Youth Baseball (Little League Rules)

If you have an idea for improving the product, please post it here and we will try and prioritize updates based on the most popular requests.
Chapin3

Youth Baseball (Little League Rules)

Post by Chapin3 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:39 am

There are rules in Little League that make this program unworkable. Little league allows for all players (up to 12) to bat , but only field 9. The coach just sits two or three different players each inning, but the order remains the same in a 10-12 batter lineup.

Plus, there is a 5 run rule (keeps the game close) or 10 batter rule where the inning stops without recording 3 outs. Please put a "End Inning" button to stop inning without three outs (without the batting order advancing) and put the Stat "Inning Ended". These rules are used up to minors (9-11).

Here is a link to other types of situations (http://www.scn.org/ncll/rules.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false)
There are a lots of parents who could use this to track their son's team with these things added. Otherwise it wont work.
Last edited by Chapin3 on Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
SharkBait

Re: Youth Baseball (Little League Rules)

Post by SharkBait » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:11 am

Chapin3 wrote:There are rules in Little League that make this program unworkable. Little league allows for all players to bat , but only field 9. The coach just sits two or three player each inning, but the order remains the same. Plus, there is a 5 run rule (keeps the game close) or 10 batter rule where the inning stops without recording 3 outs. Please put a "End Inning" button to stop inning without three outs. These rules are used up to minors (9-11). Here is a link to other types of situations (http://www.scn.org/ncll/rules.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false)
There are a lots of parents who could use this to track their son's team with these things added. Otherwise it wont work.
I've played around with this...

I set all 11 of my players to "batting" and they all showed up to bat, even though only 9 of them had a position set. Further, after letting all 11 batters bat, I went to "More" on the main page and tapped "End Inning", which to be more accurate is actually "End 1/2 Inning" as it ended the inning for the Visitors and then brought the first Home team batter up to bat.

Just had a minute and thought I'd play with this, but unless I'm missing something I think you're good to go... Just make sure you assign all your players to Batting in the lineup screen and use the End Inning function even if it's just ending the 1/2 inning.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:30 am

As shart mentions, both of these situations work with the product right now.

You can have any number of batters even with only 9 fielders. Just set Batting=Yes for the player, but assign "Out" (as in setting out) to the players that are not in the field.

And yes, we have the end inning in the case of max runs scored in the inning.

Thank you for responding, Shart.... nice to see a "community" forming here.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
tug

Post by tug » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:19 am

I've been using iscore to score little league games for about 5 games now and have used the above tips: manually ending innings after 5 runs and setting the complete team as the lineup - and for the most part it works great.

The problems I have are two:
1. (the big one) If you select a potition (e.g. pitcher) to change it mid-game, a pop-up screen lists the first 10 batters int he lineup. If the new pitcher you want to put in is 11th in the lineup (as happened to me last night) then you can't select him or her.
2. (the little one) After the first inning, the uniform numbers down show on the defense buttons. This makes it difficult to keep track of changes in defensive positions between innings (which, as noted above, happens a lot in LL). Because of this feature/bug, I only set defenses for the start of the game and only change pitchers after the game starts (which isn't that big of a deal).
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:02 pm

For #1, all you have to do is a "flick" motion from bottom to top, and the rest of the players scroll into view. In the release we just submitted, the substitution list is a little easier to use, but even with the current version, the flick reveals all the players... just think of it as a scrolling list.

For #2, if this ever happens, you can exit out of the app, and go back in, and the jersey #'s will return and you can continue scoring where you left off. We have not identified exact steps that can cause this one to happen, but if anyone can make it happen in a reproducible way, we will get it fixed immediately. In the meantime, exiting and going back in should work for the rare occassions this occurs.

Thank you.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
tug

Post by tug » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:23 am

Thanks!

I scored a game last night and the "flick" trick worked fine (and I needed it). I can't believe I didn't think to try that before.

As for the missing field numbers - they stayed the whole game this time. I think it's the first game I've scored that they didn't vanish after the first inning. I'll keep my eye on them and let you know if I can correlate it with anything else I'm doing.

Here's another one for you - did you know that in the box scores, the pitchers are not listed in the order they pitched? Not a huge deal, but it's something.

BTW, Thanks for you're responsiveness - it makes a great program even better to use!