Ability to Set "Mercy" Rules re: Runs/Inning

If you have an idea for improving the product, please post it here and we will try and prioritize updates based on the most popular requests.
fbltad

Ability to Set "Mercy" Rules re: Runs/Inning

Post by fbltad » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:58 pm

My 9yo's league has a mercy rule of 5 runs per inning (except for the last scheduled inning). It would be great to be able to set a mercy rule in the Options when creating a new game - the same screen that allows us to set number of innings and number of fielders for a game.

Example: The team already scored 4 runs in the current inning. The bases were loaded and the next batter hit a homerun. iScore automatically scores all four runners however our league's Mercy rule would allow only 1 of the runs to 'score' and the other 3 runners would reach home but the run would not be counted.

I am able to edit the pitch-by-pitch but I can only set ONE of the runners to 'Run Not Scored'.

So, either a Mercy Rule setting that allows manually setting the rule for all the innings and a separate setting for the final inning
OR
The ability to set more than one or all the runners that scored on a play to "Run Not Scored".

Thank You,

Lauren
danmcc

Re: Ability to Set "Mercy" Rules re: Runs/Inning

Post by danmcc » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:08 pm

I believe you can have all three base runners as run not scored, then score the HR for the batter during the game not post edit. This has been discussed before with the ability for scorer flexibility winning out. In reality only the third base runner should score but users opinion was for the ability to allow the HR stat to score. There is the ability to misc: end inning to complete the inning once 5 runs score.
fbltad

Post by fbltad » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:12 pm

Hi Danmcc -

I did end the inning right after the homerun as per our mercy rules so I know about that step (gets used a lot in our league).

I just gave your suggestion a try and while it works for the correct score,

1. the "Run Not Scored" is not associated with the homerun hit since they're recorded before the homerun.
2. the batter is automatically scored as a run when it should be the 3rd base runner to score at which point the inning is over (mercy).
3. there is no way to answer the "What happened to the batter on X Base" question after scoring a home run to correctly record what happened to each batter/runner.

We want to give the batter the benefit of the homerun in their stats but we also want to capture the correct runners scoring.

So I guess another option for this request would be to present the "What happened to the batter on X Base" question after recording a Homerun. That gives the scorer the flexibility to mercy out some of the runs.

It would still be nice to be able to set Mercy rules in the game options.

Lauren
OhioTex

Post by OhioTex » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:29 pm

@fbltad

At some point, manual work arounds are needed for non routine league requirements.
In this case you may need to edit the stats manually. to credit the right run scored.

that is one of the problems with establishing inning run limits, also is the hit counted as a single or a home run? this has been debated before.. similar debate in a game wining walk off situations.

In iscore if you want only the Home run to count, you could "Run not score" all the players before you enter the home run. because you are correct after home run no chance to "what happen to base runner".. (tap the baserunner, advance to home and run not score them). and the score will be correctly held at 5 for the inning.