Batter substitutions made easier

If you have an idea for improving the product, please post it here and we will try and prioritize updates based on the most popular requests.
kstrauser

Batter substitutions made easier

Post by kstrauser » Sat May 30, 2009 6:20 pm

I'm having a hard time changing batting order during a game, such as when our softball coach substitutes batters. Say that batter one, "Andy", strikes out. Batter two, "Bob", hits a single. For whatever reason, the coach substitutes Andy for the 3rd batter. I go into "Lineup" and drag Andy to appear after Bob. This has two real problems:

1) The lineup is messed up once all players have batted and it starts over.

2) Far worse is that iScore remembers that "the batter in lineup slot #2 is on first base", but since I swapped Andy and Bob, now it shows Andy on 1st base instead of Bob. I discovered this the hard way.

Hitting "Misc", "Skip Batter", "No" 14 times is hard to do without missing at least a pitch or two in the meantime, especially, since you might have to repeat the process to move to the next batter in the lineup.

I propose having another column in the lineup screen with a radio button for "active batter", and have it usually advance through the lineup as expected but allow the user to bounce around if necessary.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Batter substitutions made easier

Post by FTMSupport » Sat May 30, 2009 8:42 pm

What is the case where a batter can bat in position #1 in the lineup, and then bat again in position #3 in the lineup? We have never seen a rule like that. Can you point us to a reference that describes how that is allowed?

When you rearrange players in the lineup, you are changing the starting lineup, not doing substitutions. If you are intending to do substitutions, you should use the substitution methods as described in Part 2 of the training videos at:

http://www.youtube.com/fasterthanmonkeys" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

If you are using the method described there for substitutions, and it is not working, please let us know.

Thank you.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
kstrauser

Post by kstrauser » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:51 am

This is my first year as a softball parent, so I'm afraid I'm not extremely up on the rules yet. How about this, then: on the "Skip Batter" dialog, add one of those spinning list controls with all batters in the lineup and with the next batter selected by default. That way the normal behavior is exactly as it is now, but the dialog offers the extra ability to easily skip to a random batter?
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:45 pm

Good suggestion... we will add it to our list. Thank you.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs