Tough scoring question

If you have an idea for improving the product, please post it here and we will try and prioritize updates based on the most popular requests.
Rosborn

Tough scoring question

Post by Rosborn » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:43 am

Is defensive indifference an official stat in both softball and baseball? With runners on first and third, I see on the scorecard where I gave the runner who scored from third when the defensive team chose to get the runner out stealing second base, the runner even slowed down between first and second trying to get in a run down, and in fact did. The run down then resulted in an obstruction and the runner was ultimately awarded second base on obstruction.

So, three scoring questions, is it a judgment awarding the scoring runner 1). A stolen base (double steal) 2). Scoring the run as an error since an obstructions is recorder as an error 3). Showing the run scored on the throw to second or 4). recording the scored run as a defensive indifference?

I view a stolen base (single, double or triple steal) as a runner leaving their base on release of the pitch. So if the runner on first steals second on the pitch, and the catcher attempts to throw her out and she is safe at second with runner on third holding, it's a stolen base. If the SS (or second baseman) cuts the ball thrown to second in an effort to get the runner out advancing from third to home and she scores, I record it as scoring on the throw, not as a stolen base. In my above scenario I gave it an indifference rather than a stolen or error, is that correct? Two other factors I considered, the defensive team was way ahead so was more than happy to trade an out for a run late in the game, and the second factor, the run defiantly crossed the plate before obstruction was called so didn't score the run on the error.

Finally, I see nowhere except in the score card where DI (defensive indifference) is listed as a stat, isn't that odd? Stolen bases are, errors are. This matters because of RBI' and earned runs. In my scenario how was run scored, ER, RBI? Ron

Sorry if too long, but these are tough questions...