Pitching chart

If you have an idea for improving the product, please post it here and we will try and prioritize updates based on the most popular requests.
CoachBob

Pitching chart

Post by CoachBob » Thu May 14, 2009 6:22 pm

I dont know if this would even be possible, but one of my players had a great idea during our game the other day. We chart everything possible during the game and we always try to get our guys to talk about the game while its being played (what kind of pitch did this kid hit last time, where did he hit it, what pitch did this guy get you out on last time, etc). This kind of dialogue helps the kids learn the game and stay in the game. So this is the request:

Would it be possible for the pitch type and location chart be assignable to specific hitters? In other words, when we look at the 1st batter of game, the 2nd time he gets up, maybe we could slide over one more screen and see the pitch sequence and type of his previous at bat(s). This way we would know if the guy struggled with the breaking ball, change up, fast ball, high, low, etc.

It could also be helpful for hitters to know what they have struggled with. We could tell them what their average is against fastballs, curveballs, etc.

This one might be one for next season. I think it is more advanced than most people would need but I think it would be cool to have.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Pitching chart

Post by FTMSupport » Fri May 15, 2009 12:41 am

Yes this is a good idea. We are thinking that it's just a toggle button on the pitch tracking screen like the current speckle chart button but this button shows only the pitches against the current batter in previous at bats. Maybe color coded for each at bat or something like that. Thanks for the great suggestion
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
sportsdoc

Post by sportsdoc » Fri May 15, 2009 9:46 am

However... While that is useful for the hitters, it is also useful for the pitchers (and coaches) to see where their different pitches ended up. I was also thinking that a toggle switch to go between individual batters and cumulative for each pitcher.

The cumulative chart could broken down based on the existing chart. Number each square on the chart and then list the number of pitches thrown in each square as well as the type of pitch. 1 step further would be to show the result of the AB or of each pitch. I'm thinking of a spreadsheet type of approach for this. Maybe I'm a bit anal retentive, but we do chart these things on paper at present.

Doc
Chapin3

Post by Chapin3 » Sat May 23, 2009 5:13 pm

I also thought it would be great to know which strikes the batter tried to swing at and which ones they looked at. This could show on the scatter chart as a different colored ball. Double tap the chart for swing and miss. Makes the ball a different color. This could show how a hitter chases out of the strike zone.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Sat May 23, 2009 6:20 pm

Interestingly enough, the pitch by pitch view we included in 1.65 (should be approved any day now) will actually allow you to see some of this information. You can see the pitch locations on a pitch by pitch basis, and the result of that pitch (hit, strike, ball, whatever).

Look in this thread if you have not already seen the screenshot of the pitch by pitch view:

http://iscore.freeforums.org/iscore-bas ... -t289.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
Chapin3

Post by Chapin3 » Sat May 23, 2009 9:13 pm

I mean that you can know you if it was swung at or looked at with a color ball on the scatter graph. Not just strike or hit a certain one
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Sat May 23, 2009 9:34 pm

Yes, we will be adding swing/no swing for strikes (as opposed to only being for the 3rd strike as it is now) in a future version as well.

Thank you.
sportsdoc

Post by sportsdoc » Sun May 24, 2009 3:06 pm

How about allowing the addition of some free form notation in the green space that list the outcome of the pitch? Again, from a scouting standpoint, I would want to know if the batter was fooled by the pitch, has a poor swing, an inside out swing, can't hit a CB, etc.

Doc
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Sun May 24, 2009 5:38 pm

Notes is something we plan to add throughout the application... the only downside of notes is it can be slow to type on an iphone, but if you come up with abbreviations instead of having to type whole words, it may be fast enough. Or maybe we could have buttons for common abbreviations, or allow you to define macros or something for common terms of your choice.