Roster Entry Issues

If you have an idea for improving the product, please post it here and we will try and prioritize updates based on the most popular requests.
abridge683

Roster Entry Issues

Post by abridge683 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:07 pm

I can enter team information well ahead of time and use a blue-tooth keyboard with my iPad.

The process is relatively painful and prone to errors.

I enter teams/rosters under the Team Manager function. After selecting the team and selecting Roster I am then faced with a screen with a single entry: Add Player. If I touch that entry I get the player entry screen. That's good. But the first field is not selected! I have to touch the first field I want to enter. Then I can use the keyboard to enter "First Name" "Last Name" and "Player Number". But there is no way to have everyone NOT BATTING. Since I'm coming in under Team Manager it's quite possible I do not know the future line-up. So I would suggest that I have a setting that turns "Batting" to "NO" (or some other setting) when I am entering entire teams.

I would also like to enter number first, THEN name. I might only have the player numbers at first or am doing it on the fly. This would make things go faster.

After I have entered a player's data I then have to take my hands off the keyboard to press "Done". Alas, that button is immediately below the battery indicator and if I miss "Done" on the high side I end leaving iScore completely and the current player data I have entered is then lost. That makes me grumpy and frustrated.

If I get to a game and have to enter a partial team, and then need to put in a new pitcher there's no quick way to do that, at least as I understand the process.

Thank you, while I quibble it's still a good product and it's getting better with every revision.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Roster Entry Issues

Post by FTMSupport » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:13 pm

The data entry was intended for entry on the device, not using a keyboard. If you are using a keyboard, you will probably be better off using the Admin Website to enter your rosters. You should be able to get to the Admin Website from your iPad as well, and can use the keyboard with that. To see how to get to the Admin Website, go to Options->Admin Website on your device. When logged in there, you can go to Teams and edit/create rosters there. Just be sure to Export before editing/adding, and Import after editing/adding.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
abridge683

Post by abridge683 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:52 pm

Thank you for the courtesy of your rapid reply. I was unaware of that functionality and will investigate it right away.
AdamB5000

Post by AdamB5000 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:06 pm

I do like the idea that after you click 'add player' the next screen's curser is already sitting on the players number. It may make for even quicker last minute player entry.

I'm on an iPod, as not to confuse anyone as the poster's original reference was to the iPad.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:14 pm

Thank you for the feedback... we will consider this for a future relase.
dtkreutz

Post by dtkreutz » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:32 pm

Just to add to this thread, I'd like to see this streamlined also. I've commented before that having to go through the already created players screen to add a new player is goofy. The roster should have both "add player" and "add new player" to skip that step...
But, I think I've found a bug. My problem with this portion of the program is that I created a quick roster to get players in place for the start of a game. I then went to the roster when the lineup was posted. As I went to fill in info for each player, the Player Info screen shows a League choice. If I fill in First and Last Name, then Number, then go to League to de-select Major League, when I return to player, all previous information is lost! To get the full information for a player, I have to fill all fields, select Done, enter the player card again, select league, then Player Card, then Done.
Filling out player info is one of the most rushed parts of scoring a game for me, and it seems to be the weakest part of the program as well. Somehow I'm always exiting before saving or fighting my way through the screens. It feels like this could use an overhaul in the off season.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:41 pm

When you are going to be adding players, be sure you have preselected the leagues you want to add the players to. If you add a player to a league that is not currently active (i.e. MLB is active, and other leagues are not, but you remove the player from MLB), then it will appear the player has disappeared. We generally suggest that when you will be entering new player to make sure All is selected in League Manager. The only time you should ever turn All off is when you are doing some league based reporting. And after reporting, go back in and turn "All" back on just so you don't forget later.

We are always looking to improve all aspects of iScore, so will take the suggestions into consideration as we continue enhancing iScore.
dtkreutz

Post by dtkreutz » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:26 pm

as always, your quick response is appreciated, and ban me from the board if I'm asking too many stupid questions!
PreSelecting my League? I'm just trying to sit down to a TIVOed Cubs game and practice my scoring. Here are a few issues I run into.
1) I create a Cubs team. Fill in Team info, including selecting the team's league. I make a quick 15 person roster. WGN shows the lineup, I go to the first player, enter Fukudome, number, position, and then enter "League" page. All 3 leagues checked (for me - Default, Major, and ParkDistrict), even though I deselected ParkDistrict on the Cubs team page. I de-select ParkDistrict, return to Player Info, and all the editing for Fukudome is lost, and I have my QuickRoster default Player 1 displayed. Why does entering the League page not keep my input? The only way to do this is to enter all info, select Done - which places you back at the roster, then click Fukudome again, then change League, then select Done again.
2) **I'm editing out #2 because I just realized my mistake here.. I've made it before! But in the turmoil of getting a game going, It's hard to remember. I make a quick roster, then started the game. Then, when WGN gave the lineups, I went back to roster and added info. Duh! Games take roster info at start, and will not be updated by new roster changes.... I know that, It just trips me up.
3) IPad Bug Here! Try this. Game Manager. Create new game. Select my game. If I hit play to start my game, Confirm linups, then exit out, I get to the "Game Info" screen. If I hit Back, the header slides over to reveal "Game Manager" but the main screen is still the last Game Info. There is no way to get to other games without re-starting program. Going back to the home screen and selecting Game Manager takes you right to that game info. I've had this happen a number of times, and I think it's just a new, unplayed game that causes this error loop.
Anyway, Thanks so much for your ear.
dave
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:28 am

For #1, if you know you will be adding new players, if you go to League Manager prior to scoring and set the leagues there for the game you know you will be scoring, then the leagues will be set to match the currently enabled leagues by default and you won't have to go to the Leagues selection for each player your add.

For #3, we are looking into this issue... we have seen it come out in other ways as well.