What if we wanna keep track of only our team's stats??

If you have an idea for improving the product, please post it here and we will try and prioritize updates based on the most popular requests.
heroes

What if we wanna keep track of only our team's stats??

Post by heroes » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:43 am

Any way to add an option to have a default opponent players??----since lots of amateur teams may not care for keeping other teams stats, it'd be nice to have that option where you can only keep track of your own team's numbers---say, the opponent batters and pitchers'names can be a default so you don't have to type in their numbers every game.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: What if we wanna keep track of only our team's stats??

Post by FTMSupport » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:49 pm

You can do this now... just create one team in Team Manager called "Opponent" (or whatever you want) and give them a lineup. When creating a new game, you can just select that team as your opponent, and for scorekeeping, just mark each batter that comes up for their team as an out. Or, actually keep track of balls and strikes, etc if you want the pitching stats for your team, but just don't care about their names.

The release awaiting approval also has an "end inning" button that can be used just to end the current team's at bat without waiting for 3 outs. This would allow you to just say "end inning" when the other team comes up if you just don't care at all to score anything when they are at bat.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
natsibley

Post by natsibley » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:36 am

I have the newest version so I can end the inning without keeping track of the other teams stats, but I would like to be able to at least enter how many runs they scored so I can keep track of the score of the game.

It would be nice to be able to enter other stats for the other team when ending the inning as well. For my situation I am using the app to score softball games. When the other team is batting I am playing in the field so I can't keep track of everything that happens but I would like to keep the score accurate and record errors and things like that, that I could remember when the inning was over.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:06 am

If it is purely for record keeping (runs and errors), when you return to the dugout, you could quickly just press "home run" for batters for however many times they scored... this will get the runs up to date. You can also quickly assign errors to players in the same way. Then after doing that, click End Inning.

We have "one-sided scoring" on our list of enhancements for a future release, but there are several subtleties that make a complete solution a bit tricky. For example, is tracking your pitcher's balls/strikes part of one sided scoring? That means scoring while in the field as well as while at bat. (Maybe some folks want this and others don't.) Tracking errors by your team is another case where tracking while on defense matters. Tracking stolen bases against your team. Tracking earned vs. unearned runs. There are several small things like this that make it so only scoring for your team is more than just keeping track of batting, and we need to try and balance that to find what is most important to most people trying to do this.

For the folks looking for a solution to this beyond what we can currently do, if you can list your ideas here, we can try and incorporate them when we make an update specifically addressing scoring for just your team.

Thank you.
natsibley

Post by natsibley » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:47 am

IMO, the best way to go would be to make each of these an option. Just have a one-sided scoring options page and have the system solicit only the inputs you select in those options. That's probably about a million times easier to say than to do, but if it can be done it is likely the best option.
AndzikD

Post by AndzikD » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:02 pm

FTMSupport wrote:You can do this now... just create one team in Team Manager called "Opponent" (or whatever you want) and give them a lineup. When creating a new game, you can just select that team as your opponent, and for scorekeeping, just mark each batter that comes up for their team as an out. Or, actually keep track of balls and strikes, etc if you want the pitching stats for your team, but just don't care about their names.

The release awaiting approval also has an "end inning" button that can be used just to end the current team's at bat without waiting for 3 outs. This would allow you to just say "end inning" when the other team comes up if you just don't care at all to score anything when they are at bat.

What about, if in the App with one key you can fill the roster of other team with numbers?
You can select the number of players in other team and App will do the rest. I still want to see the games and know what team we played with, but do not need the exact names of other team players and it takes a long time to fill the Roster with numbers.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:14 pm

We are getting enough requests for one-sided scoring that we will try and come up with an easier way to do it... creating a team one time in team manager, then just reusing that team as an opponent is actually not too hard, and has some clever advantages... like always seeing "cumulative stats" for opponents as a whole. So you can compare your own "team stats" against "opponent" team stats as a group.

We will continue trying to come up with new ways to do this as well.
natsibley

Post by natsibley » Wed May 13, 2009 4:18 pm

Using the one-sided scoring (via "End Inning" option) was going great for me today until I got to the last inning. The other team has 0 runs in the app, but they were actually ahead of us. Thus the app thinks the game is over after the top of the last inning but it's not. This is one big reason there needs to be more one-sided scoring features (enter number of runs for the other team when you end the inning for example).
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Wed May 13, 2009 4:45 pm

To avoid the game over, when the other team is at bat, just enter a home run from each run they score... this is a quick way to make sure that at least the score is correct. (This has been suggested elsewhere in the forum).

Another option would be to add one to your number of inning in the game (game options). Then the game will not end when you are the home team doing one team scoring. If you are the visiting team, this would not be an issue.

There are many things that need to be considered to truly handle one sided scoring. For example, what about your pitchers? If you are not scoring the other team's batting, then you are also not scoring for your own team's pitchers. When we add full support for defensive stats, you would also not have that ability.

Thank you.
natsibley

Post by natsibley » Wed May 13, 2009 5:31 pm

I figured the home run thing, but the problem is that the speed of scoring is crucial in my situation as I play in a very fast paced league. I fell quite a bit behind when I had to enter all the home runs to catch up the scoring.