Speed of Scoring Needs Improvement

If you have an idea for improving the product, please post it here and we will try and prioritize updates based on the most popular requests.
natsibley

Speed of Scoring Needs Improvement

Post by natsibley » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:22 pm

I bought this app about 2 weeks ago and was very impressed with the interface and the incredible customer service.

Tonight I tried to score one of my games for the first time and failed before the first inning was over. Several factors played a part in this.

1) I play in a very fast paced league. It was extremely difficult for me to score each at bat in the time allotted to me. It is not uncommon for several (3-5) batters in a row to hit the first pitch thrown and for all of that to occur in under a minute. The main problem is having to handle each runner separately after each play. I'm having trouble thinking of a good way to overcome this, but it's a big problem for me because it makes the app unusable.
One thought that crossed my mind is for the app (possibly based on some setting) to automatically advance all runners by the number of bases covered by the batter. Then if anything other than that occurred the user could drag the runners to the correct base or to the side of the screen to indicate they got out.

2) There should be an easy way to set the game to any point. For example, I fell behind in the first inning and was completely lost because the next time my team came up to bat the score is wrong and the wrong batter is up, etc. It would be nice if I could say "end inning" on that first inning and be able to set how many runs we scored and the last batter. Yeah, some of the stats would be missing, but at least I'd have been able to keep going.

3) This is kind of a repeat but I think it should be pointed out. The selections you have to make for each play should have better presets to improve speed. If you select In Play and then Fielder's Choice with a runner on first, and you select 6-4 for the fielding the app should guess that the runner on first was out at second and that should be the default when the screen pops up to ask you.

Maybe this app is just not designed for to work as quickly as I need it to. I think there are some settings that could be put in to make things quicker though. If some of the features could be turned off that would help a lot. For example if you could turn off the selection of hit location and/or selection of defensive player sequence it could make things much easier. For me personally if the defensive player sequence is not going to influence the default selection for the runners then it doesn't have much of a point.

My personal opinion is that this app is a few option menus away from being really incredible.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Re: Speed of Scoring Needs Improvement

Post by FTMSupport » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:31 pm

Thank you for the feedback. As we continue to try and improve the interface, we will definitely take your suggestions into consideration. Some are very possible (for example, an option to turn off hitting location if you don't care to keep track of that). Others are more difficult and may not be possible (like automatically advancing runners and selectively moving runners back). We do auto advance in cases where things are completely obvious (like a home run is hit, or a triple is hit, things like that), but in other cases, it is not as obvious, and we need the information entered as "part of the at bat" in order for statistics to be credited to the right batter.

I think there is always a little learning curve involved when doing something a new way as well... I'm sure the first time people try and record a game on paper, it is not a quick process either, but soon becomes second nature and the scorekeeper is chatting between plays.

Hopefully this will be the case for you with iScore.

If you have not already done so, we highly suggest watching the two YouTube videos that demonstrate how to use iScore.

Here are links just in case:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXJ-r42T0Js" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6UeanYIgmo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

Thank you.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
bsweetser

Re: Speed of Scoring Needs Improvement

Post by bsweetser » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:46 pm

I can agree with some assumptions to help speed the process, but just to throw out a situation to show why making assumptions can be wrong or difficult to make: In the game I scored tonight, there was a situation with runners on second and third. The batter hit a ground ball to the first baseman, who made an odd play to protect the run from scoring... he ran across the field and tagged out the runner who was on third. So the batter reached on a fielder's choice... who gets the assumed out in this situation where the only player with the ball was the first baseman? Perhaps this is a bad example because maybe nothing would or should be assumed in this particular type of situation.

ben