Suggestions for speeding scoring process

If you have an idea for improving the product, please post it here and we will try and prioritize updates based on the most popular requests.
jdonato

Suggestions for speeding scoring process

Post by jdonato » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:35 am

Hi
Some suggestions to speed scoring:

1. The program can make some assumptions: for example, if I mark Out-- Sacrifice Fly, it is safe to assume that the person on third base scored, the program does not need to ask me for that player. (it should continue to ask about other bases)
2. There should be a way to assign the same result to every base runner. For example, if I have players on first and second, (or bases loaded), and there is a fly out, and nobody advances, there should be an option like "All runners held up", instead of going thru every single base runner.

Man, sometimes I feel we are abusing you guys :oops: .....
sportsdoc

Re: Suggestions for speeding scoring process

Post by sportsdoc » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:57 am

Imagine that. I was just coming to ask for a question. Great minds think alike, I guess.

I was asking myself how i thought that this program could be more "intuitive." For instance:

1) The SAC fly that was mentioned above is one example. (This case assumes that something occurred because it is a SAC.)
2) If a runner is on base and the next batter strikes out, I am still asked about the runners. (In this case, would it not be better to touch the runner and make a change only if something occurs than to assume that something did?)

Thanks again,
Doc
jdonato

Post by jdonato » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:20 am

Yesterday, I was thinking about your second point and somehow forgot to include it in my original list. I would like to see that scenario work like you suggest.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:13 pm

2) If a runner is on base and the next batter strikes out, I am still asked about the runners. (In this case, would it not be better to touch the runner and make a change only if something occurs than to assume that something did?)
We ask what happened to the baserunners in this way because technically we are still determining what happened during the current batter's at bat. If we didnt ask in this way, then by the time you touched the runner, the next batter would be up to bat and the actions of the runner which should have been scored on the previous batter would be scored on the next batter. It probably doesnt matter for statistics but the scorecard would be incorrect.

What we can do is put up a simple yes/no alert that asks if any runner's status changed.
That way if you have bases loaded you only have to click once. It doesnt help though in the case of a single runner on base since you would only have to click once anyway.
Check out the new iScore Baseball documentation page!
Includes videos and user manual.
http://iscoresports.com/baseball/training.php#docs
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:32 pm

1. The program can make some assumptions: for example, if I mark Out-- Sacrifice Fly, it is safe to assume that the person on third base scored, the program does not need to ask me for that player. (it should continue to ask about other bases)

We have tried very hard to not make the program make assumptions because we've found that many times the rules of one league are not the rules of another league. In the case of the Sac Fly there may not be a man on third. Some leagues will count it as a sac fly if a man on second can make it home. Maybe some might call it a Sac if a man on first makes it. We just dont know how people will use it so we try to keep it as flexible as possible. That being said we expect a future version will have a configuration screen where you can check or uncheck things like sac fly automatically scores runner on third. That way you can customize it to best fit your situation.

Thank you for your great suggestions and please keep them coming!
sportsdoc

Post by sportsdoc » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:17 pm

I see your rationale. Even if a response button would show up after the K (for instance), that would asked, "Runners advance?" or "All runners held?", Yes/No, or something similar would help.

Doc
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:01 pm

Ok we have added that to our list of enhancements
jdonato

Post by jdonato » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:24 am

FTMSupport wrote:Ok we have added that to our list of enhancements

Great. Thanks guys!
jdonato

Post by jdonato » Fri May 01, 2009 11:21 am

Another suggestion: If a player hits a "ground rule double" the program should assume that the batter ends up in second base.
bsweetser

Post by bsweetser » Fri May 01, 2009 1:02 pm

Are you seeing otherwise? I had two GRD's last night in the game I scored and the runner was put right on second...

ben