Game Manager - Entering Scheduled Games

If you have an idea for improving the product, please post it here and we will try and prioritize updates based on the most popular requests.
macmikeolson

Game Manager - Entering Scheduled Games

Post by macmikeolson » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:48 am

I just entered our kids' league schedule into Game Manager. There are a couple things I wish I had to make it easier and more informative:

- provide a calendar that I can enter a date for the scheduled game instead of tapping in the date manually
- provide a location for the venue (usually a sports complex and field number)
- the main Game Manager screen lists each game with the date and teams in the title - the teams are already listed below in the box. Maybe replace the title with just the date, venue, and maybe the league that the game is for (a game can only be in one league, right?)
macmikeolson

Re: Game Manager - Entering Scheduled Games

Post by macmikeolson » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:50 am

The Game Manager screen should also let me select the leagues I want to display instead of making me go back to the League Manager, then back to the Game Manager.
jcbeckman

Post by jcbeckman » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:20 am

Games can be in multiple leagues at once. Also, I prefer the current default names. If there were an option to select what is in the default name I wouldn't mind, though. For example, I have a "league" that represents a seasons with both AL and NL in it, and a "League" with all the games that represents all games ever played.
macmikeolson

Post by macmikeolson » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:30 am

The more I think about this, the more features I'd like from it. When a game is scheduled, maybe there should be an option of adding it to a calendar on the iPod/iPhone.
macmikeolson

Post by macmikeolson » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:35 am

Really sorry about the machine gun approach here, probably should have been more patient and entered all the issues at once...

Looking at the Game Manager list of scheduled games, they aren't displayed in any sorted order at all. It should be sorted by date.
jcbeckman

Post by jcbeckman » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:38 am

The SDK doesn't provide for a way to access the iPhone/iPod Touch calendar (believe me, I've tried). You'd think that a program would have access to the calendar, but it can't be done.
macmikeolson

Post by macmikeolson » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:40 am

Too bad about the calendar...

The more I use the Game Manager, the more I'm finding issues.... I have 16 games scheduled in the manager, and can't edit any of them (switch visitor/home, for example). I should be able to go into a scheduled game and edit the settings. For example, if I entered something wrong, the game is rained out and rescheduled, etc.

I hope I'm not being picky, I'm just trying to preload as much as I can and edit as I go along.
macmikeolson

Post by macmikeolson » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:41 am

jcbeckman wrote:The SDK doesn't provide for a way to access the iPhone/iPod Touch calendar (believe me, I've tried). You'd think that a program would have access to the calendar, but it can't be done.
>> maybe mail a .ics file to a preloaded email address?
jcbeckman

Post by jcbeckman » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:46 am

That's about the only way - you'd ned to mail an event to yourself.
FTMSupport
Site Admin

Post by FTMSupport » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:53 am

You can make the titles of games be whatever you want (i.e. you can change it to Venue or whatever you want). We had to create default names based on the most likely use case which is someone goes to the game, selects the games they will score, and starts the game. This is how the vast majority of users use the product, so the defaults make sense.

For any other scenario, you can edit the game title to be anything you would like --- it requires typing of course.

The sort order is:

1. Start date of game (based on when Play! is pressed --- which is done when the umpire says Play Ball)
2. For games that have not yet been scored, they are shown in the order they are entered

We do provide a calendar for changing the game start/end time after it has been scored (for the case where you are scoring a game after the fact), but again, the vast majority of the time, a game is going to be scored Live, so plugging in the Game Start and Game End times is automatic.

You can edit the titles of any of your scheduled games by going into Game Info for that game, and changing the title. This accounts for your reschedules, rain outs, etc. The options that can not be edited here can be edited after pressing Play to start the game. You will have the option of swapping home/visitor just before game start time when you click Play. If you entered home/visitor wrong, and want to fix it prior to clicking Play, just delete the game and recreate it. Just takes a few clicks to do this.